• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Announcement Thread Prefix Suggestions

Based on feedback from the forum feedback thread, I wanted to gather your suggested thread prefixes. Let me know if there any missing tours or any general prefixes you would like to have, or if there any prefixes you would like to edit.

Fire away!

Based on feedback from the forum feedback thread, I wanted to gather your suggested thread prefixes. Let me know if there any missing tours or any general prefixes you would like to have, or if there any prefixes you would like to edit.

Fire away!

Thanks for asking. My choice is None At All :)

Is there some mechanism that allows sorting or searching by them? What use do they have?

My choice is None At All :)
This is actually available. When the "How To" tag appeared on a Clinic thread I'd started I simply edited the opening post and set it to "no prefix" and so got rid of it.

My 2¢ , well personally I see titles like "Tour" or "Vuelta" or even "Race" or "Rider" as just duplicating the name of the sub-forum the thread is already in.

Also, if you're going to create titles for all the major men's road races, what about women's races, and track races, and MTB races, and 'cross races? That's going to be one helluva drop down list to navigate when you're starting a convo.

Simple, sensible titles like Announcement make sense, they make a thread stand out when it needs to stand out. Get too granular in your specificity and it's just colourful clutter we'll develop a blindspot to.

Reactions: SafeBet
On second thought, maybe adding prefixes should be something only mods and admins can do (like announcements).
After all, if I was a very strange person - I'm not, don't worry - I could go into the Cafe section, create a thread about… say… mixing concrete… and give it the prefix Tour de France.

The current prefixes are too prominent. Also the title of the page in the tab shows only the prefix. Maybe use them as a postfix instead of a prefix?

That being said, I could see benefit using: "rider", "team", "worldtour", "race other", "women", "opinion", "news".

I don't see a need for them being displayed in the thread list. I could see them helpful in filtering searches (once they are regularly and correctly used), where multiple tags might be used for one thread.

But displaying them in the thread titles disrupts the ability to read down the forum's thread and is just distracting.

I think a couple of prefix options could do with getting deleted (gear, how-to...). Do they actually get used? Maybe in some sub forums?
However, i do think actual race threads could use a short and simple prefix "race". Just to find them faster, especially the smaller races would benefit from it. Considering the Tour, Giro and Vuelta dominate the forum at that time, and each stage gets a separate topic, i would even argue that those prefixes are not needed as much, or could also simply use the smaller "race" prefix.

TRENDING THREADS