• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thumb Avulsion Fraction

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I suffered a skier's thumb injury last Saturday preriding a CX course. The fracture was an avlusion fracture of the ulnar collateral ligament that's been treated non-operatively with a hard cast.

Two questions:

1) Is it ok to ride the trainer? I feel no pain on occasional, minimal pressure at the injury site when I do so.
2) Is a splint preferrable to a cast? I've seen clinical, peer-reviewed data suggesting there's no statistical difference in outcome between splinting and casting, but wanted input from anyone who knows about this stuff.

Thanks,
Revere

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Keep the cast on. If the joint/fracture don't heal properly, you will end up with an unstable thumb joint. The cast just does a better job all around of not just immobilizing the joint, but also protecting it. As far as riding the trainer, just keep it to seated riding and don't put too much pressure on the broken hand.