• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thymen Arensman is the new Dutch hype thread

Ofcourse I had to start it.

2nd in the Tour l'Avenir in his first u23 year. Earlier this year he was 3rd in Paris Roubaix U23. So he seems very versatile. To be honest he totally slipped my radar as I only knew him from PR U23 onwards.

On further investigation he was 2nd in the Oberösterreich rundfahrt in the juniors and 3rd in the Niedersachsen Rundfahrt juniors last year. 2nd in the Dutch NC ITT juniors last year and is a cyclocrosser as well.

Now you might think, yeah he was 2nd but at +1'20 from the winner. However, he was also the youngest rider in the field. Most of the people surrounding him in the GC were 2,3 or 4 years older.
Were does this continue from here? Classics or stage-races? :exclaim:

Reactions: Sandisfan
I heard about him for the first time in cyclocross as a 2nd year junior. Some decent results (nothing special) but had no idea he was active last winter in cx as well. After looking up his results, I know why. He was pretty ****.

Anyway, he does look much more promising on the road, clearly.

Re:

Squire said:
The TTT accounts for a lot of the difference between 2nd and 6th or 7th, but it's still impressive.

Even more so when considering that he's born in December.
Yeah ofcourse he had great help with a strong TTT. But he had no help from his team uphill and had to close some gaps himself uphill. Look at today for instance. He and Pogacar were left behind in the downhill. And while the latter closed it and it was impressive. Arensman himself had to do a lot alone and still finished at 11s only.
And where others like Barcelo and Reis fell away today after impressing earlier in the race. He stayed in there. That shows some kind of ability to stay consistent

Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Squire said:
The TTT accounts for a lot of the difference between 2nd and 6th or 7th, but it's still impressive.

Even more so when considering that he's born in December.
Yeah ofcourse he had great help with a strong TTT. But he had no help from his team uphill and had to close some gaps himself uphill. Look at today for instance. He and Pogacar were left behind in the downhill. And while the latter closed it and it was impressive. Arensman himself had to do a lot alone and still finished at 11s only.
And where others like Barcelo and Reis fell away today after impressing earlier in the race. He stayed in there. That shows some kind of ability to stay consistent
It's one thing to just 'be there', which is the strategy Arensman used. What Ries and, especially, Barcelo did yesterday was so requiring that they had to pay a price. I'm quite certain that both would have been there or there abouts today without yesterday's efforts, especially Barcelo. In that light, Pogacar was really the hero of the day the way he rode.

A better comparison would be Gregaard who, like Arensman, had been riding defensively most of the way, but just lost it today. You can say that Arensman is more consistent than him, but I would be more careful to draw comparisons to Ries and Barcelo - if that's what you were hinting at.

tenor.gif

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Arensman rode almost the entire climb on his own. That's nothing to do with 'being there' anymore. And still saved the GC. He only had the guy who jumped out of his wheel the last 200m with him who did nothing.
Plus, he is 18. I'm reiterating this.
No, but it's probably the strategy he utilized the days before. Which is my point. He's not had to dig deep the way Ries and Barcelo did yesterday. So it's explainable that he did well today. You can call that consistency, but after all, stage races are about conserving energy. All I'm saying.

TRENDING THREADS