• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tibialis anterior pain

For a little while I have been having a tight tibialis anterior on my left leg while out cycling, the pain isn't that bad that it would stop me cycling but recently on my bigger cycles or if I've done a bit of climbing or got a tough head wind the pain has been going into my knee, right on the front of my knee, it almost feels like someone has hit my knee with a hammer....again I can almost pedal through the pain and it does get slightly better...

my set up on my bikes hasn't changed so I don't think it a bike fit problems.

does anyone know of any stretches that will help the muscles or any help on what might be making that muscle tight now?

rick james said:
For a little while I have been having a tight tibialis anterior on my left leg while out cycling, the pain isn't that bad that it would stop me cycling but recently on my bigger cycles or if I've done a bit of climbing or got a tough head wind the pain has been going into my knee, right on the front of my knee, it almost feels like someone has hit my knee with a hammer....again I can almost pedal through the pain and it does get slightly better...

my set up on my bikes hasn't changed so I don't think it a bike fit problems.

does anyone know of any stretches that will help the muscles or any help on what might be making that muscle tight now?

Pillow ... lengthwise on a yoga mat. Knees just overflowing pillow at one end ... tops of feet pressed into the pillow. Arse slowly moving towards feet. Sit on feet. Slowly lean back and feel it. If you think you need more stretch generated in lower TA ... roll up a small towel ...or a small sponge roller ... place between pillow and mediotarsal joints.

If you're getting pain into the knee front area, worth assessing if bursa below knee is concurrently inflamed.

Why it's occurring? These inflammatory ...'use' discomforts. IMHO, not worth the time trying to 'pinpoont' some 'cause.' A lot of stuff is merely spontaneous ... and you'll most often get a shrug ... even from professionals.

Beware those bearing advice like ... shorten your stem, loosen the play in your cleats ... while tensing your Rswhole into a headwind.

Good luck, Rick.