• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tiesj Benoot thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Benoot confirms my idea that young talented riders should stay far away from Lotto, if they want to keep on growing. Too much nurturing going on there.
Van Wilder moved away after one year. Vervaeke was left on his own. Benoot has made very little progress in 4 years. I'm not sure it's about too much nurturing, just complete mismanagement. I'm completely convinced that Lotto management the past decade was completely inept on many levels.

He's been in great form as of late, helping Jumbo to a TDF win with Vingegaard, but especially flying in the classics.

Unfortunately today he was hit by a car while training in Livigno, several fractures, but nothing worse it seems. Unfortunately that also means no more racing this season.

He posted this

CzQ1yLx.png

Source:
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/ChCCMLyDANU/?igshid=YTgzYjQ4ZTY=

Neck fracture… No comment.

It‘s just disgusting how many crashes, how many serious injuries happen to these pro riders. Crashes in every race, crashes in every training camp. That‘s the awful side of the sport.

Benoot‘s crash probably was compareable to Scarponi‘s fatal crash, if I understand it correctly.

They behave so professionally all the time, and then bad luck strikes, and the work of months is destroyed within one second.

Benoot will hate what happened, but also appreciate he still was lucky. This could have ended in wheelchair or even could have killed him. It‘s just terrible.

The sad thing is, the next bad crash will occur. We don‘t know when and who, but it will happen. Destroyed collarbone, destroyed neck, or death. No one is safe, not even the biggest names.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Neck fracture… No comment.

It‘s just disgusting how many crashes, how many serious injuries happen to these pro riders. Crashes in every race, crashes in every training camp. That‘s the awful side of the sport.

Benoot‘s crash probably was compareable to Scarponi‘s fatal crash, if I understand it correctly.

They behave so professionally all the time, and then bad luck strikes, and the work of months is destroyed within one second.

Benoot will hate what happened, but also appreciate he still was lucky. This could have ended in wheelchair or even could have killed him. It‘s just terrible.

The sad thing is, the next bad crash will occur. We don‘t know when and who, but it will happen. Destroyed collarbone, destroyed neck, or death. No one is safe, not even the biggest names.
It’s always disturbing to hear about. But it’s not just a part of the sport of bike racing—This is the kind of crash all of us who ride on the roads face, not just the pros. I’m sure virtually all of us have had a car pull out in front them while descending or when riding fast on the flats.

TRENDING THREADS