• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tiger Woods-Poll of PGA tour competitors

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't find the original thread, but most everyone argued with me that Tiger was probably a doper. Well Reuters polled PGA competitors and only 24% believed Tiger has ever used PEDs, so the argument that many in the golf world think he dopes is not true. Also, if those who he plays against don't think so, why do so many on here absolutely believe he does?

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Honor amongst thieves?

Everyone in golf is richer when Tiger Woods is making positive headlines. I don't know if he's clean. But if pros lie to cover him, then that is what Omerta is all about. Suggesting other golfers would have no reason to avoid giving golf a black eye just because they compete against Tiger Woods doesn't quite add up. The better question is, why would Phil Mickelson ever want to damage golf just because Tiger doped to get over knee problems? Why would tournament organizers want to shoot themselves in the foot by losing their number one fan draw? There are plenty of reasons to cover for Tiger Woods.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
golf is as far removed from PEDs as possible in professional sports. But see Gary Player and Greg Norman for their opinions.

Tiger hangs out with Alex Rodriquez and Jordan and Barkley.

He was seeing the Canadian PED doctor.

Add it up. If he was a cyclist you would indict him on those threads of circumstantial nexus.

Golf is one of those sports where all the people involved, including the fans, believe that their sport is largely immune from the evils of doping. It reminds me of an interview with an official in U.S. gymnastics who made the preposterous claim that "luckily our sport does not have doping problem." Before BALCO baseball did not have a doping problem.

A

Anonymous

altark123 said:
Well Reuters polled PGA competitors and only 24% believed Tiger has ever used PEDs

And if Reuters polled Cycling competitors only 5% would say Lance has ever used PEDs, and 95% would decline to answer

Dont believe polls.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
And if Reuters polled Cycling competitors only 5% would say Lance has ever used PEDs, and 95% would decline to answer

Dont believe polls.

Golf is not cycling. I cannot see any advantage in taking dope in any form for golf. Tiger hit the ball miles when he was a skinny kid and hitting the ball far is just a very small part of the pro game, unlike baseball where the object is to solely hit it out of the park. Jacking up on growth hormone or steriods would be totally pointless. Look at Tom Watson, 60 years old and still showing the youngsters how its done. Skill and finesse doesn't come out of a bottle.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I had laser surgery on my eyes back in 2004, I have 20/10 vision.

Have no clue if Tiger is on PED's or not...nor do I care. When he or Lefty or any of the other guys on the PGA make great shots, such as the last Masters when Phil made some of the greatest shot of his life, that is all I care about in golf--great shot making. The fact that players can and have called penalties on themselves which made them lose big money or tornaments, I think that has alot to say about the integrity of golf.

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
This is place is unreal.

Its been made clear to me. Guys who say Lance dopes, Cancellara dopes, don't know there ***'s from there elbows.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
Golf is not cycling. I cannot see any advantage in taking dope in any form for golf. Tiger hit the ball miles when he was a skinny kid and hitting the ball far is just a very small part of the pro game, unlike baseball where the object is to solely hit it out of the park. Jacking up on growth hormone or steriods would be totally pointless. Look at Tom Watson, 60 years old and still showing the youngsters how its done. Skill and finesse doesn't come out of a bottle.

On point. PED's will have little influence in golf. Drive for show, putt for dough. tiger (and others) probably use what we consider to be PED's to recover from injuries/surgery faster (hgh). That game is very much 'between the ears'. If they come up with something to sharpen focus I want some of it, and I don't play any sport. I just want it.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Green Tea said:
Ha Ha. Doping or EPO makes you hit the golf ball further, putt better?.

What stupid idiots you are.

Go take a walk, fools.

I have no doubt if you can swing the club at all that 'doping' could help you hit longer tee shots. But will it change the outcome? See my post above.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
mikeNphilly said:
I had laser surgery on my eyes back in 2004, I have 20/10 vision.

Have no clue if Tiger is on PED's or not...nor do I care. When he or Lefty or any of the other guys on the PGA make great shots, such as the last Masters when Phil made some of the greatest shot of his life, that is all I care about in golf--great shot making. The fact that players can and have called penalties on themselves which made them lose big money or tornaments, I think that has alot to say about the integrity of golf.

Sumbeach almost hit 3 eagles on 3 consecutive holes! Good for him. Especially in light of the return of Darth "tiger" Vader. An everyman win.

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Green Tea said:
This is place is unreal.

Its been made clear to me. Guys who say Lance dopes, Cancellara dopes, don't know there ***'s from there elbows.

Thanks for the confirmation.

You should try switching over to the white tea. It has better effects.

golf is a heavily skill-dependent internally paced sport. in other words, the coordination of a repetitive and predictable golf swing is most important to success. extra importance is placed on concentration as the golfer, not his competition, determines when the skill will be executed. cycling is mostly fitness-dependent and externally paced. they are on almost completely different ends of the sporting spectrum. tennis, basketball, etc might fall in the middle of the continuum as they require plenty of skill and fitness and are at times both internally and externally paced.

just as the skills of bike-handling will limit a cyclist, a golfer must still possess some fitness to complete 4 demanding rounds in order to win a tournament. it's not the most important factor but it's certainly a requirement. i doubt it's reason enough to tamper with anabolics/EPO.

a unique characteristic of golf, and i think the biggest reason why PED use is most desirable is the long practice hours of a very repititive task which makes golfers especially susceptible to overuse injuries. the addition of lean mass would be a very good insurance policy for a top level golfer against injury. it would likely increase the longevitity of a golfer's career in a way that might help to re-write record books. ;)

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Some of you guys are funny to me.

I agree with some of the stuff that is said on here, but once in a while a thread pops up which is absolutely absurd.

Tiger Woods missed cut last week at Quail Hollow was due to to his hematocrit falling below 50% thus flailing mechanics of his technical golf game. (He peaks at 60%).

Close thread now. Its nonsense.

EpicFailWin.jpg

Green Tea said:
Some of you guys are funny to me.

I agree with some of the stuff that is said on here, but once in a while a thread pops up which is absolutely absurd.

Tiger Woods missed cut last week at Quail Hollow was due to to his hematocrit falling below 50% thus flailing mechanics of his technical golf game. (He peaks at 60%).

Close thread now. Its nonsense.

Why would a golfer blood dope?

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Not a wearer of glasses or lenses, so I'm totally ignorant, but can you actually get better than 20:20? I always thought it was a bit like percentages (i.e. how you can't really have 110% on a percentage scale).

If so, maybe I should go get my eyes tested. :p

20/20 vision is concidered normal.

the first number is the viewing distance in feet to read a letter.
the second number is the distance a person with normal vision could stand at to read the same size letter

eg 20/60. from 20 feet away you can read a letter a normal vision person standing at 60 feet can see clearly

20/10 means they'd need to be at 10 feet to see it instead (better than normal vision)

hawks are believed to have 20/2 vision

someone with 20/200 vision is considered legally blind (but may still be able to see well enough to get through life with little outward appearance of actually being blind)

TRENDING THREADS