• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tight tubeless tyres

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I've just got a new set of wheels built with Velocity VXC Disc rims, and I'm trying to install a Maxxis Ignitor UST tyre with Stan's No Tubes System.

I've given it everything I've got and there's no way I can get even the first bead of the tyre on.
- I've tried progressively pushing the tyre around the rim (finishing at the valve) to loosen up some slack - no good.
- I've tried lubing the rim and tyre with soapy water - no good.
- I've tried installing the tyre wihout the rim strip - still no good.

Has anyone got any experience with this rim/tyre combination, or any general tips for installing tight tubeless tyres?

Are there any tubeless tyres that are generally looser than Maxxis?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

I hate to say this because little ****es me off more than someone posting just to say, "Gee, I never had that problem." Nonetheless, I run Maxxis Larsen TTs on Stan's 355 ZTRs and never had any problems mounting them. I don't even use a tire lever.

Maybe try soaking the tires in hot water before mounting them. If you have another set of rims that they will go on, mount them inflated to max pressure for a day to let them stretch, then try again. If the other rims aren't of the tubeless variety, just mount them with tubes installed. Better still, mount them on the other rims for a day, then soak them in hot water.

If you have a deep freeze, and it's big enough, freeze the wheelset (to make it contract) and warm the tires (to make them expand and be more pliable).

david. said:
I've just got a new set of wheels built with Velocity VXC Disc rims, and I'm trying to install a Maxxis Ignitor UST tyre with Stan's No Tubes System.

I've given it everything I've got and there's no way I can get even the first bead of the tyre on.
- I've tried progressively pushing the tyre around the rim (finishing at the valve) to loosen up some slack - no good.
- I've tried lubing the rim and tyre with soapy water - no good.
- I've tried installing the tyre wihout the rim strip - still no good.

Has anyone got any experience with this rim/tyre combination, or any general tips for installing tight tubeless tyres?

Are there any tubeless tyres that are generally looser than Maxxis?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

You are trying to mount a UST tire on a non UST rim with a Stan's rim strip. I believe this is your problem. Get yourself some tubeless ready tires, not UST and they will mount up very easily. I have run the Ignitor on Mavic UST rims and they go on pretty easy, just the last three inches or so are a ***** around the stem, but doable without tire irons.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, mounting with a tube was where I was ultimately going when I tried to get them on without the rim strip, but might be able to try on another rim... Warming them up might be worth a try also...

Mind you if the UST tyres are just wrong for what I'm doing maybe I'm wasting my time. The same LBS that I had build the wheels sold me the tyres and tubeless kit at the same time, so I figured it would all work together. Maybe I'll head back and see if they made a mistake...

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure of the question. Is it you cant set a bead tubeless or you cant get the bead over the rim?

Is this the UST Ignitor?

there really is no need to run the UST version for tubeless and they can be tight

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
david. said:
Thanks for the replies, mounting with a tube was where I was ultimately going when I tried to get them on without the rim strip, but might be able to try on another rim... Warming them up might be worth a try also...

Mind you if the UST tyres are just wrong for what I'm doing maybe I'm wasting my time. The same LBS that I had build the wheels sold me the tyres and tubeless kit at the same time, so I figured it would all work together. Maybe I'll head back and see if they made a mistake...

Your local friendly mechanic can help you with this. The right set of hands will solve this.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
david. said:

Are you trying to mount by hand, or using tyre levers? I used to run standard Ignitors, with stans on a mavic rim, which had required building up the rim with some thick packing tape under the stans strip in order to get them to seal. When I switched to a UST Conti Mountain King, trying to mount the tyre by hand led to curses and skinned knuckles, but a steel tyre lever sorted it out. In hindsight I remembered the packing tape, and sure enough it was much easier (but still tight by hand!) to mount up the second time without it, and sealed just fine with a floor pump.

If it's a front wheel, I would just take the tyre back and swap it for a conti mountain king, I don't like the ignitor on the front at all (though I always run one on the rear) - YMMV:D

BTW, you will struggle to mount any UST tire on a non-tubeless rim without levers unless you have strong hands.