• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Time.com Article

Some interesting snippets from this article:

"He's kind of amazing phenomenon," says Peter Keane, professor and dean emeritus at the Golden State University School of Law, who has closely followed Novitzky's work. "He's kind of a bloodhound. No matter what swamp or tree you hide in, he's going to find you."

"I've always thought of government as a bunch of bumblers," says Catlin, who has advised Novitzky on the science of performance enhancing drugs. According to Catlin, Novitzky has mastered the material. "Novitzky is not a bumbler. He's the opposite of bumbler. He produces very serious, very scholarly work."

"Like everyone else, I want to know the truth about Lance Armstrong," says Catlin. "But I'm not sure the truth can be known, no matter how many millions we put into it."

That last one is particularly telling. Transparency, anyone?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Caitlin has lost credibility on that one.

That, and his comment on the first page that Americans don't care about drugs in sports.

Overall, there's quite a bit of "it's not worth the time and money" bias in that article. +1 for Liestrong PR.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
powerste said:
That, and his comment on the first page that Americans don't care about drugs in sports.

Overall, there's quite a bit of "it's not worth the time and money" bias in that article. +1 for Liestrong PR.

The fact that Time and Sports Illustrated consider it newsworthy (profitable) indicate that maybe the fans do care. At least they care enough to watch another high-profile celebrity's fall from grace. That soft sell about the cost of litigation showed up in the USA Today article comments as well. Is there a Tea Party for Lance out there we don't know about or do all of his fan's think with a single mind? All together we chant: "nevertestpositivenevertestpositivenevertestpositivenevertestpositivenevertestpositive..." until you achieve levitation.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
The fact that Time and Sports Illustrated consider it newsworthy (profitable) indicate that maybe the fans do care. At least they care enough to watch another high-profile celebrity's fall from grace. That soft sell about the cost of litigation showed up in the USA Today article comments as well. Is there a Tea Party for Lance out there we don't know about or do all of his fan's think with a single mind? All together we chant: "nevertestpositivenevertestpositivenevertestpositivenevertestpositivenevertestpositive..." until you achieve levitation.

Time answers the question: How did your circulation sink like a stone? By publishing the article as the tour is almost over. Timing. Just saying.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:

I agree with that . The praise for Novitzky's work would also lead me to believe that he wouldn't want to waste years of his career if he thought he would come up empty. On the plus side for Armstrong the UCI doesn't have to play ball with any of these guys and you know if anything existed McQuaid had the shredder going 24/7. Another plus for Lance is Lemond, I think most juries will find anything he says strange at best. He never worked or rode for USPS,never had any role with any team Lance has ridden for and only raced against one another a few times and the girl fight they got into at Trek made them both look terrible..If your chant doesn't work and a positive test result is laying in Pat McQuaid's drawer Lance will levitate

May 25, 2009
Visit site
+1

Benotti69 said:

+1 on this. What kind of comment is that from someone who has headed a big money lab? Also, it totally ignores the fact that this case is not just about the drug use in cycling. It's about "bigger" frauds and injustices.

oldschoolnik said:
+1 on this. What kind of comment is that from someone who has headed a big money lab? Also, it totally ignores the fact that this case is not just about the drug use in cycling. It's about "bigger" frauds and injustices.

That, and it's coming from the guy who sat next to Armstrong and touted the most comprehensive internal testing program ever...with complete transparency. I wonder what "truth" he hoped to find back in 2008?

A

Anonymous

fatandfast said:
I agree with that . The praise for Novitzky's work would also lead me to believe that he wouldn't want to waste years of his career if he thought he would come up empty. On the plus side for Armstrong the UCI doesn't have to play ball with any of these guys and you know if anything existed McQuaid had the shredder going 24/7. Another plus for Lance is Lemond, I think most juries will find anything he says strange at best. He never worked or rode for USPS,never had any role with any team Lance has ridden for and only raced against one another a few times and the girl fight they got into at Trek made them both look terrible..If your chant doesn't work and a positive test result is laying in Pat McQuaid's drawer Lance will levitate

He is providing testimony for a Grand Jury. That is a completely different entity from the jury in a trial. You also have no idea of what they are asking him. My guess is that Novitzky already knows Lemond didn't ride with Lance on USPS. I am going to guess that he has questions about something.

Thoughtforfood said:
He is providing testimony for a Grand Jury. That is a completely different entity from the jury in a trial. You also have no idea of what they are asking him. My guess is that Novitzky already knows Lemond didn't ride with Lance on USPS. I am going to guess that he has questions about something.

Most likely he will be asking him about the threatening phone calls LeMond has claimed Armstrong made to him over the years, as well as the Trek angle whereby LeMond claimed Armstrong gave the order to Trek to "ruin him." And we know that Trek already settled with LeMond in that case and that LeMond's lawyer stated afterward that although the terms of the settlement itself were of course confidential it did not in any way preclude LeMond from speaking out on any related issues in the future.

BikeCentric said:
Most likely he will be asking him about the threatening phone calls LeMond has claimed Armstrong made to him over the years, as well as the Trek angle whereby LeMond claimed Armstrong gave the order to Trek to "ruin him." And we know that Trek already settled with LeMond in that case and that LeMond's lawyer stated afterward that although the terms of the settlement itself were of course confidential it did not in any way preclude LeMond from speaking out on any related issues in the future.
I read the subpoena LeMond received was strictly for documents, so, for now at least, he won't be asked anything.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

I disagree. Seems to me that Catlin is just speaking about his experience, which is that despite all the resources given these investigations the doped athlete still pays a relatively small price. Catlin doesn't explicitly question the necessity of the investigation, that context is only given by the author of the piece.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ullify-blood-passport-anti-doping-expert-says

The Catlin family is questionable with regard to cycling. I'm surprised I haven't seen this discussed. Maybe I just missed it.

OC: It’s a little unfortunate that this discussion is coming out. Many people in the sport of cycling were hoping the days had passed when we were constantly discussing doping. To have this microdosing talk come out and raise new questions about the sport is frustrating.

Yeah, this was discussed here. http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=229076&postcount=8

applies to this thread though.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
alberto.legstrong said:
Time answers the question: How did your circulation sink like a stone? By publishing the article as the tour is almost over. Timing. Just saying.

Their target audience doesn't know when the Tour starts, let alone end. It is the People magazine of "news" publications and usually doesn't break anything new. They do tend to favor histrionic, personal type news stories or find that human angle because it sells.

TRENDING THREADS