• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Time to hang my bike on the willow....

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
... and step down as an admin.

For a long time I felt that this place was the perfect place for a cycling community to hang out and meet. I have stopped feeling that way. That change has nothing to do with the mods or forum users, but is purely down to the way CN and FP "value us", and the frustration that comes with becoming personified with CN and its policies. The ad-fiasco is just the last straw.

I thanks the mods for asking me, a couple of years back, to join them. I have never regretted coming back on my initial "no, thanks" and accepting the role (months later).

I feel bad for leaving mods even shorter of hands, but the way I want to show respect and appreciation for what people contribute, and what I find acceptable or not, are increasingly drifting further and further away from what FP/CN finds appropriate, or timely.

So I will be hanging my bike on a willow (Dutch for calling it quits).

From this moment on, I won't be dealing with any reports or oustanding issues. Please contact another mod if you want something addressed.

Francois.

Francois the Postman said:
... and step down as an admin.

For a long time I felt that this place was the perfect place for a cycling community to hang out and meet. I have stopped feeling that way. That change has nothing to do with the mods or forum users, but is purely down to the way CN and FP "value us", and the frustration that comes with becoming personified with CN and its policies. The ad-fiasco is just the last straw.

I thanks the mods for asking me, a couple of years back, to join them. I have never regretted coming back on my initial "no, thanks" and accepting the role (months later).

I feel bad for leaving mods even shorter of hands, but the way I want to show respect and appreciation for what people contribute, and what I find acceptable or not, are increasingly drifting further and further away from what FP/CN finds appropriate, or timely.

So I will be hanging my bike on a willow (Dutch for calling it quits).

From this moment on, I won't be dealing with any reports or oustanding issues. Please contact another mod if you want something addressed.

Francois.

You've been reasonable at all times.

A

Anonymous

Probably the most reasonable and best mod on here, and that is meant as no discredit at all to any of the other mods.

Francois has probably spent (too much) time entering into incredibly lengthy and fair discussions with members.

Great respect for the man.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you

Thank you for your efforts. Being an admin can't be easy, but at least the hours and the pay suck!

The ads in the posts thing is such a tacky thing. Not to mention how tacky some of the ads really are. I've had the Mrs. wonder what site I'm on as she's looked over my shoulder while I've been perusing the CN forums. :(

Maybe, just maybe your stepping down will get the attention of managment.

FS

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for all your hard work and attention to the forum, Francois. This is CN's loss. It's past time Future Pub start paying the moderators for the hours they put in here. I hope you will still be around posting as a "regular person" and not leaving the forum completely.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Francois, your posts and threads BEFORE you were an admin were always great to read too. Hopefully, you will be able to get back into your posting groove here as a civilian.

And Team Fanboy would LOVE to have you.
It has become much easier here with so many "cool kids' leaving. Reduced workload for SURE.
Please consider. Please.

TeamSkyFans said:
Probably the most reasonable and best mod on here, and that is meant as no discredit at all to any of the other mods.

Francois has probably spent (too much) time entering into incredibly lengthy and fair discussions with members.

Great respect for the man.

Echo this and well said by dim.
It was obvious that you put yourself into the role.

Thanks Francois.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Farewell, but as an admin only?

Looks like the backroom discussion didn't go as planed, not that I thought it would.

FP and CN are not budging and well won't, its the way it goes in the corporate world.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to see you leave, Francois. Even sorrier about what prompted you to leave. What fools these mortals be. Some things never change, but most good things change too soon. Perhaps we will see that handsome avatar of yours on another forum? Cheers, mate.

Heavy blow for cn.

But its good news. Francois was posting a lot less as a mod. and that was a heavy blow for forum discourse. here's hoping he's back to writing those 2000 word posts. always top class.

A poster everyone rates from the first post they read. logical, well written, well thought out, wonderful use of language, never insulting nor patronizing, never biased and always with an intelligent joke or 2 hidden in there.

Its been missing . for too long

And i mean every word I've written.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
In other news, ACF has been announced as a replacement for Francois as chief moderator and will be setting some new rules. I will be ruling with an iron fist! :D