• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tips to visit Tour of Flandres

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking to travel from Portugal to Belgium to see Ronde van Vlaanderen and I'm planning all the travel. I have some doubts and hope someone of you can help me.

I want go to Oude Kwaremont or Paterberg. How early I need arrive? One hour? Two hours? I will walking from Anzegem or bus.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Rui Quinta said:
Hi everyone!

I'm thinking to travel from Portugal to Belgium to see Ronde van Vlaanderen and I'm planning all the travel. I have some doubts and hope someone of you can help me.

I want go to Oude Kwaremont or Paterberg. How early I need arrive? One hour? Two hours? I will walking from Anzegem or bus.

My tip: travel at least 2 years back in time.

The Kwaremont will be super busy and there's no good-sized locality to soak up some of the crowds like Geraardsbergen used to do for the Muur.

I would say you'll need three to four hours to select and hold a good spot. Try to watch some videos in order to help you with that, because it's a long climb and you don't want to waste time on the day.

On the Kwaremont, the tree-lined section before the village crossroads is a good place because the riders are slow and funnelled here close to the top. It's nicely sheltered by trees and I was well protected there during the worst of the apocalyptic 2010 edition of Kuurne Brussel Kuurne. But it will be very busy.

Walking or cycling are the best options if you don't mind the effort. The landscape is pretty nice down there though there's only one bridge crossing anywhere near Berchem village.

Take an umbrella (it rarely rains on Ronde day nowadays, but you never know) and some food and drink. Forget needing the toilet. :p

I don't bother with the Ronde these days because pretty much all of the E17/E40 triangle of Flanders shuts down making it hard to reach on the day. I prefer to do the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad / Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne double. :D

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Rui Quinta said:
Why? Because te VIP Zone?

No, there were VIP zones before (on top of the Koppenberg e.g.). It's just that the organizers sold the soul of the Ronde. They had a great format, a great final and they messed it up by forcing a classic to end with 3 local laps.

The ronde as it should be...
pic51713806_600.jpg

pic6759879_600.jpg

Muur-Kapelmuur_600.jpg

cancellara.jpg.h380.jpg.568.jpg

il_fiammingo said:
No, there were VIP zones before (on top of the Koppenberg e.g.). It's just that the organizers sold the soul of the Ronde. They had a great format, a great final and they messed it up by forcing a classic to end with 3 local laps.

The ronde as it should be...

... and will be again, I think. Let's be patient. :cool:

L'arriviste said:
The Kwaremont will be super busy and there's no good-sized locality to soak up some of the crowds like Geraardsbergen used to do for the Muur.

I would say you'll need three to four hours to select and hold a good spot. Try to watch some videos in order to help you with that, because it's a long climb and you don't want to waste time on the day.

On the Kwaremont, the tree-lined section before the village crossroads is a good place because the riders are slow and funnelled here close to the top. It's nicely sheltered by trees and I was well protected there during the worst of the apocalyptic 2010 edition of Kuurne Brussel Kuurne. But it will be very busy.

Walking or cycling are the best options if you don't mind the effort. The landscape is pretty nice down there though there's only one bridge crossing anywhere near Berchem village.

Take an umbrella (it rarely rains on Ronde day nowadays, but you never know) and some food and drink. Forget needing the toilet. :p

I don't bother with the Ronde these days because pretty much all of the E17/E40 triangle of Flanders shuts down making it hard to reach on the day. I prefer to do the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad / Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne double. :D
Thank you very much. I will try arrive 3 hours before the race.

il_fiammingo, back in time is not posible, so I will try enjoy what I can :)

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:

I prefer a spot near the end where the Feelbosstraat crosses the Kwaremont. It's kind of a chicane that rises a little. If they race hard or not, the peloton is always stretched near the end which makes it easier to recognize the riders.
You can also see the Paterberg from there (although you might need binoculars then :p). But with all the VIP domains, i'm not sure this section be be open to the public.

I don't know when you'll be in the country but if possible you can use the E3 Harelbeke (my favourite) as a rehearsal.

TRENDING THREADS