• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

tire confusion

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My Jamis came with Vittoria Zaffiro tires. There was no name designation beyond that. I really liked these tires. The tire pressure was 120 to 140 lb/in. All of the Vittoria Zaffiros I find listed or in stores state 120 lb/in max. I looked on other new bikes in dealers with VZs. The tire pressures seemed variable with the most generous being 110 to 145 lb/in. The 140 range is obviously high for most tires. Is there any reason for the difference between what VZ supplies for new bikes and those generally available in stores? Does anyone know why VZs pressures are so variable?

The rear tire became thread bare at just about 2,000 mi (3,200 km). The front one is still running. I bought a Bontrager for the rear replacement because I was in a I need it now situation.

Don't worry about it. If you are running anything above 120 you are putting in to much air! Most tires will roll at their most efficient at around 105-115psi. You will not go faster with more air.

TigerFish said:
My Jamis came with Vittoria Zaffiro tires. There was no name designation beyond that. I really liked these tires. The tire pressure was 120 to 140 lb/in. All of the Vittoria Zaffiros I find listed or in stores state 120 lb/in max. I looked on other new bikes in dealers with VZs. The tire pressures seemed variable with the most generous being 110 to 145 lb/in. The 140 range is obviously high for most tires. Is there any reason for the difference between what VZ supplies for new bikes and those generally available in stores? Does anyone know why VZs pressures are so variable?

The rear tire became thread bare at just about 2,000 mi (3,200 km). The front one is still running. I bought a Bontrager for the rear replacement because I was in a I need it now situation.

Two things..no reason to use huge PSI in any bike tire...makes them ride like they are made of stone and explode if small punctured.
Second, use the best tire on the front..if the front fails, you fall down, not so in the rear. Put the new Bonti on the front, the front to the rear.

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Two things..no reason to use huge PSI in any bike tire...makes them ride like they are made of stone and explode if small punctured.
Second, use the best tire on the front..if the front fails, you fall down, not so in the rear. Put the new Bonti on the front, the front to the rear.

Thanks, What happens if the rear pops?