• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno-Adriatico 2012 (07.03.-13.03.)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm really looking forward to this. I don't think the two TT(T)'s will be too much, as the big MTF balances them well, in addition to the other hill finish (finishes? How long is that flat in Offida?).

This race has a little bit of everything that makes races exciting: good field, diverse profiles, and anticipation (and a sweet trophy...)

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
well, I´m actually more curious to see which riders the teams are signing for the race, it should give an idea which riders are favorites to join the tour team.
A lot of speculations going on about Contador don´t have the team for the Tour, but I disagree, and I hope this race will prove the doubters wrong.

With climbers like Jesus, Navarro, Pires, Sørensen and verterans like Paulinho and tosatto it´s not a bad team at all, and if they peak it right, I can´t see who could be better, and with a team working 100% for him, Contador will in my opinion be unbeatable in any race he choose to win.

Ferminal said:
What one would that be? The Chieti and Offida stages are arguably better than the MTF. I'd say Chieti is the Queen stage.

Chieti is very long and hopefully Lanciano will light up the race.
All about the last 50-60kms, which hopefully we will get to see.
The Offida stage is very much like those of the mid noughties;
laps around an undulating circuit that won't define the GC at all.

My main beef is with 7 stage events having 2 clock stages, given that nowadays that's about what we get in a 3 week GT.

By not inflating my expectations of the race, I will probably appreciate
the racing more, when the time comes.

El Pistolero said:
They won't, Phil also survived the Tourmalet remember? Was also fresh enough to power away at the descend and catch up with the breakaway.
First: learn to spell the word "descent".

Second: Phil is not a natural climber, he could maybe hang on if they go all out on that climb, but what's the point? He can't win that Chieti stage, and he can't win the overall either.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Is the finish in Offida have any decent pitches?

06.08.2010-Percorso-planimetria-Mondiali-Offida.jpg

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking forward to seeing Coldeportes in this. I thought it was a bit strange when they were talking about targeting T-A given the race's usual profile, but now it makes sense.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
I'm looking forward to seeing Coldeportes in this. I thought it was a bit strange when they were talking about targeting T-A given the race's usual profile, but now it makes sense.

Duarte will probably attack at the bottom of Lanciano :D

May 26, 2010
Visit site
CORRECTION.

Lanciano is a town in Abruzzo. It is not part of Tirreno Adriatico 2012.

Passo Lanciano is a mountain top area mainly used for skiing.

Tirreno Adriatico is going over Passo Lanciano.

:)

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I doubt he will actually. He said in an interview last year that the way he rode in his early races last year was naive and that he soon realised he needed to wait longer before attacking as he did in Trentino. I'm sure Coldeportes will send other guys on the attack though.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
First: learn to spell the word "descent".

Second: Phil is not a natural climber, he could maybe hang on if they go all out on that climb, but what's the point? He can't win that Chieti stage, and he can't win the overall either.

First, stop being an obnoxious person. Oh noes, the Nazi grammar police is here. Get a life, seriously.

Second of all, the point is that they won't go all out on that climb because otherwise they'll be toast on Chieti. I never said anything about Phil winning that stage. So perhaps you need to learn how to read, thank you.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Chris Horner first race major of 2012 will be Tirreno Adriatico will be his first race of the season. Having only stopped a treatment of blood thinners in January, Horner is sill training alone at his second U.S. home in San Diego. I assume still at some risk. TA could offer a stage result and a good GC placing for Horner especially Stage 4, but I guess the question is how such a long layoff from racing will effect him.

Stage 4 is good profile for Horner.The two finishing climbs average out at about 18% launching off the Passo Lanciano 8-9% with some good digs to the finishing on the Via dei Marsi and Via del Tricalle. He came win when it gets steep.

BillytheKid said:
Chris Horner first race major of 2012 will be Tirreno Adriatico will be his first race of the season. Having only stopped a treatment of blood thinners in January, Horner is sill training alone at his second U.S. home in San Diego. I assume still at some risk. TA could offer a stage result and a good GC placing for Horner especially Stage 4, but I guess the question is how such a long layoff from racing will effect him.

Stage 4 is good profile for Horner.The two finishing climbs average out at about 18% launching off the Passo Lanciano 8-9% with some good digs to the finishing on the Via dei Marsi and Via del Tricalle. He came win when it gets steep.

Not anymore the Paris-Nice for him?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
No Contador really changes the race dynamic, will go with Scarponi to go for this and win his first race since the 2011 Giro :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I think Chris Horner could actually win this. He's not that bad on the punchy finishes, can do a decent tt and climbs well. Cadelis going to have very little race days in the legs so not expecting something special.