• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno - Adriatico 2022 (7.03-13.03)

After fantastic edition last year (voted here as the best stage race) we are looking forward to fireworks this year again. The race starts with a TT this time but the route, as usually, is mostly hilly with one mountain stage. The first stage will initially shape the GC (some climbers can lose 30-60 seconds). Stages 4 & 5 with interesting hilly finales will make some changes in the GC surely but it's stage 6 that will decide the race: no flat section in the last 45 km with two consecutive ascents of steep Carpegna (6 km @10%, the first of them is much longer). This could be an epic stage with long-range action alert!

T01_LidoCamaiore_alt-2.jpg

T02_Sovicille_alt-2.jpg

T03_Terni_alt-2.jpg

T04_Bellante_alt-2.jpg

T05_Fermo_alt-2.jpg

T06_Carpegna_alt-3.jpg

T07_SanBenedetto_alt-2.jpg

Tadej Pogacar is the favourite here ofc. He's the defending champion (superb ride last year) and #1 in the world. If he feels good he can even do a long-range attack during cold and difficult stage 6. Obviously we don't know if he's as good as last year (maybe not) and the race can be very tight to the end. Jonas Vingegaard is the man to watch surely - arguably the only guy (except the Slovenian duo) who recently proved to have great skills in both TTs and mountains. Maybe one day it will be him who ends Slovenians GT dominance and, as last weekend showed, he's in form. Remco Evenepoel is one of contenders as well - he should get some gap (smaller or bigger) over other GC guys but those steep ascents during stage 6 can be challenging, especially against a monster like Pog.

Other stars include Alaphilippe (who will shine during hilly stages), Ganna (TT duel with Remco?), Carapaz, Cavendish and Lopez. Hopefully we will have a great race to watch.

Last edited:
was there any reason given to start this on Monday already? Probably to make room for Milano Torino?! Can't say I'm a big fan of this even larger overlap with Paris-Nice
Maybe there was rider feedback asking for a bigger gap before MSR as given how epic TA was last year a lot of the big names that went deep in this race were burned out and a little below their best in the classics that followed.

Reactions: Sandisfan
was there any reason given to start this on Monday already? Probably to make room for Milano Torino?! Can't say I'm a big fan of this even larger overlap with Paris-Nice
ASO were reportedly unhappy because T-N was increasingly attracting the stronger field because it's much easier to combine it with Strade, that is less strongly the case now. It's a lose-lose for us as fans as the Strade field is not as good this year as a result and RCS got Milano-Torino the week before Sanremo as compensation, which they've proceeded to mutilate...

From Monday on, we‘ll get to see what we‘ve been waiting for for so long: Tadej vs Remco.

I think Tadej is already in really good shape. Remco also looked really good already this season. I see a 1-2 of Tadej-Remco here.

Pogi is the better bike racer: he climbs better than Remco, time trials better, sprints better, recovers better, has better bike handling skills. In Tirreno, I think he will win the GC.

Remco should become 2nd rank in Tirreno. He‘s really good, but not good enough to beat Pogi.

• Wow
Monte Carpegna stage will be a very interesting one for sure. Pogacar likely to beat everybody there. Mostly interesting to see whether Evenepoel will again have an issue with longer (not very long) steep climbs.

For now it can got both ways for me, but the scenario where a couple of other riders will end up in front of Remco on that stage seems a bit more likely.

From Monday on, we‘ll get to see what we‘ve been waiting for for so long: Tadej vs Remco.

I think Tadej is already in really good shape. Remco also looked really good already this season. I see a 1-2 of Tadej-Remco here.

Pogi is the better bike racer: he climbs better than Remco, time trials better, sprints better, recovers better, has better bike handling skills. In Tirreno, I think he will win the GC.

Remco should become 2nd rank in Tirreno. He‘s really good, but not good enough to beat Pogi.
Actually I'm waiting to see Tadej vs Jonas, cause that duel will decide the overall. I don't think Remco will play major part. He'll end up top 10 though...

Finally we can see the dream battle we've always wanted, Eddy Merckx vs Simon Spilak !!!!

Chance that there is snow on Carpegna?
With the situation seen now by the ECMWF model there will be snow already on the coast between Friday and Sunday, but it's too early to assess because there is still a week and antizonal patterns are even harder to predict. The only sure thing is that will be pretty cold for late in the season and windy the whole week with the situation likely worsening by midweek.

Pog doesn't time trial better than Remco in normal conditions.
Perhaps at the end of a GT and / or in a TT with a climb, but not here.

Pogacar is obviously the favorite for the GC though.

TRENDING THREADS