• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno -Adriatico

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tirrenno steephill link with infor on route

The finishes of stages 4,5,6 are look quite hard and stage 2 looks very undulating.

Here are some people who are attending Tirreno;
Feburary 9 update:
22 teams for Tirreno-Adriatico 2010:
ACQUA & SAPONE-MOKAMBO (IT): Garzelli, Paolini
AG2R LA MONDIALE (FR): Efimkin, Elmiger
ANDRONI-DIQUIGIOVANNI (IT): Scarponi, Ginanni
ASTANA (KZ): Vinokourov
BMC (US): Evans, Ballan
CAISSE D'EPARGNE (ES): Uran, Bruseghin
CERVELO TEST TEAM (CH): Hammond, Hushovd
COLNAGO-CSF INOX (IE): Gavazzi
EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI (ES): Samuel Sanchez
FRANCAISE DES JEUX (FR): Guesdon, Roux
GARMIN-TRANSITION (US): Farrar, Hesjedal
ISD-NERI (IT): Visconti
LAMPRE-FARNESE VINI (IT): Petacchi, Bernucci, Hondo
LIQUIGAS-DOIMO (IT): Nibali, Pellizotti, Bennati
OMEGA PHARMA-LOTTO (BE): Peraud
QUICK STEP (BE): Boonen
RABOBANK (NL): Freire, Gesink
SKY PROFESSIONAL CT (UK): Boasson Hagen, Lofkvist
TEAM HTC-COLUMBIA (US): Cavendish, Pinotti, Rogers
TEAM KATUSHA (RU): Pozzato, Kirchen
TEAM MILRAM (DE): Gerdemann, Ciolek
TEAM SAXO BANK (DK): Cancellara, Andy Schleck

Funny, both the Tirreno and Paris-Nice websites proudly boast the participation of one Sanchez, Samuel, of the Euskatel team. Should be great seeing how he can perform with the added pressure. :p

Either way, Schleck the Younger will take this if he wants it. Haven't heard of him racing so far, so his form might not be there though. Btw, why isn't Cunego taking part? Without a TT he should be one of the faves, but he's riding Paris-Nice instead. I'll never understand Lampre.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Stage 1
thumb_uc_15105_506_Hoehenprofil_Tirreno_-_Adriatico_2010_-_Etappe_1.jpg

Stage 2
thumb_uc_15106_506_Hoehenprofil_Tirreno_-_Adriatico_2010_-_Etappe_2.jpg

Stage 3
thumb_uc_15107_506_Hoehenprofil_Tirreno_-_Adriatico_2010_-_Etappe_3.jpg

Stage 4
thumb_uc_15108_506_Hoehenprofil_Tirreno_-_Adriatico_2010_-_Etappe_4.jpg

Too bad there's no time trial, cause then guys like Cancellara and EBH could have a chance at the GC, considering the fact that the stages aren't really that tough so they shouldn't lose much time. I can see Löfkvist going strong here, though.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Could see Visconti doing something here, He's in good form, placing in sprints.

Pettachi for the flat stages? He's been racing more than Cavendish, who isn't in best condition yet.

I hope Katusha are visible in this race. the team looks so strong, but not much so far. Rodriguez isn't going this year, but without the TT he'd be better placed in the GC, no?

Lofkvist +1 He must respond positively to the move to Sky.

[edit] Where's Montelupone on the profile?

Moondance said:
Either way, Schleck the Younger will take this if he wants it. Haven't heard of him racing so far, so his form might not be there though. Btw, why isn't Cunego taking part? Without a TT he should be one of the faves, but he's riding Paris-Nice instead. I'll never understand Lampre.
Andy Schleck doesn't bother if it isn't the Ardennes classics or the Tour. So my favourite is Gesink.

taiwan said:
Where's Montelupone on the profile?
Nowhere, because it isn't in this year's Tirreno.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Pettaci should get something. but i reckon Freire and Farrar will also be hunting stage wins.
with Cavendish its hard to say - wouldnt be surprised if he grabbed a stage somewhere though.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Moondance said:
Either way, Schleck the Younger will take this if he wants it. Haven't heard of him racing so far, so his form might not be there though.
He's been having knee problems that kept him out of a couple of races. He's scheduled to ride Giro del Friuli and Eroica before this one, but I don't know how good his form will be.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Too bad there's no time trial, cause then guys like Cancellara and EBH could have a chance at the GC, considering the fact that the stages aren't really that tough so they shouldn't lose much time. I can see Löfkvist going strong here, though.

We have enough races with TT's.. leave it out.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Anybody know the saxo bank lineup? I cant find it on their webpage.

I guess it is mostly the classic guys with some additions.

Breschel, CAncellara, O'grady, Frank Høj, Kasper Klostergaard, Anders Lund perhaps.

The Older Schleck will be riding Paris Nice I think together with Voigt and some young guys,

Have you noticed that Saxo Bank has a lot of youngsters this year. 2-3-4 older riders and some young guys for every race. The youngsters will have to step up this year with Arvesen, Bak, Kroon, Kolobnev, Goss, McCartney and others leaving for other teams.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
It's hard to see where the gaps will occur, but stage 5, a long climb, followed by a long interrupted descent could be good for Sanchez, pigeonholingly. Also maybe not so good for Gesink.

Altogether, it doesn't look like it favours the "pure" climber. I said it would be good for Rodgriuez earlier, but that's wrong. Visconti, Scarponi, Sanchez, Lofkvist, Gerdemann.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
I wonder if the climbs near the end of the first two stages will be enough to drop any of the sprinters. Guess it depends on how fast they are taken.

Possibly even stage 3 the sprinters could survive. If a team has a sprinter like freire, they may try to split it up.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
Have you got any details regarding the climbs? They don't look too severe!

Final 5kms of stage 4 are uphill but has a dip in it before it starts to kick up again for the finish line.
Stage 5&6 finishes to me look quite steep and look both about on estimates 3km long according to the profiles (see pg 1 of thread)

Sasquatch said:

The finish to Chieti is apparantly really brutal, even if it isn't particularly long. And given that it comes after 240km it'll defintely cause some differentials.

And stage five might not have a fearsome profile, but it's also long (235km) and features, when you count it up, close to 2750m of climbing, so it'll defintely not be a walk in the park.

Sasquatch said:
Courtesy of Google Translate:
1st stage: LIVORNO - ROSIGNANO SOLVAY (148 km)
First 75 km flat ondualato final circuit with 11 km to be repeated once. Get in your program: Arbatax (GPM), Nibbaia (GPM) and twice more Rosignano Marittimo, without GPM. Go to first target wheel, second in the second pass from Rosignano Marittimo. The latest rise is 7 Km from the arrival.

2nd STAGE: Montecatini Terme - Montecatini Terme (165 km)
Stage characterized by three circuits. The first measures 50 km and is completely flat. The second, of 56 km, includes the climbs of Massa and Cozzile and Goraiolo. Finish this stage with four rounds of the circuit of about 15 Km which will be proposed for the World Cup of 2013 and expects the rise in Vico. In all, 6 face climbs and 2 GPM (Goraiolo and the last step for Vico, the arrival of 11.5 km.) Targets flying at Pescia and the third last step from Montecatini.

3rd stage: San Miniato - MONSUMMANO TERME (159 km)
Stage that alternates with other undulating plains. It starts with a circuit of eight miles around San Miniato (short little rise), and about seventy miles in line, during which it tackles the ascent of San Baronto da Vinci. Final circuit twice: the first measure around 40 km and provides the only rise in Monaco, the toughest final round the 35 km, during which we will address the GPM of the Popes (Montevettolini) and San Baronto, this time addressed by Cantagrillo, country of dancers. Last difficulty at 15.5 km from the finish. Pescia still welcome the finish wheel.

4th stage: SAN GEMINI - CHIETI (243 km)
This is the longest stage and one of the most challenging. To be dealt with six climbs, three of which are valid for the ranking of the GPM: Cascade Falls, Sella di Corno (990 meter, GPM), Poggio Picenze, Pretoria (GPM), Chieti / Viale Maiella and Chieti / Via de Torre (GPM ). The last difficulty, with gradients of up to 22%, it will exceed 3.3 km arrival, expected in the old town of Chieti, with the final stretch at high altitude. Targets flying at L'Aquila and Bucchianico

5th stage: Chieti - Colmurano (234 Km)
And 'the crowning stage edition 2010. Compared to the proportion of Camerino last year will present the main growing farther away from the finish line (100 km) but the next stretch will not recover, as characterized by continuous up and down.
Not to mention the easy little rise which will be located at the top of the line and that of San Genesio, 15 km to be addressed first, will be exceeded 3 GPM: stand out on all 1535 meters of the Forca di Presta, followed by breathless ascent to Frontignano and the refuge of Arette. Targets flying in Castelluccio di Norcia and San Genesio.

6th stage: MONTECOSARO - Macerata (134 km)
Stage characterized by a short but nerve tract in the initial line of 75 Km and 20 Km from a circuit to be repeated four times. Each session will propose two ascents: Santa Maria del Monte (the short wall in past years, was approached as a starter of Montelupone) and the final ascent towards Macerata (with two passes valid for GPM). Targets flying in Treia and second passage from Macerata.

7th stage: CIVITANOVA Marche - San Benedetto del Tronto (164 km)

Gangway closing of the Tirreno 2010. First 84 km in line with the slopes of Monte Giberto (GPM), Carassai, Cossignano (GPM) and Ripatransone. Final circuit of 10 km from repeat 8 times. Targets flying to San Benedetto

Latest posts