• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Titanium Frame Build Out

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I got a new Lynskey R340 frame a couple of weeks ago.

I'm going to remove my Campy Chorus 10 speed groupo from an aluminum frame and install it on the R340. Since this is my first Ti frame, I was wondering if there were any Ti specific things I should be aware of for the build.

For example, do I do anything different at the BB or carbon seat post/seat tube interface?

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
i've owned two titanium frames -- the ultimate frame material imo -- and i've never done anything "different" besides using grease.

erader

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
What BroDeal said. Use it anywhere you are going to have aluminum or steel contact the Ti frame, namely the bottom bracket threads, seat-tube, and headset cups. You don't need a lot of it. You can get away with not using any one the seat tube, but only if you plan on loosening the seat post periodically and giving it a little twist to keep it from galvanizing to the frame.

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
twothirds said:
You can get away with not using any one the seat tube, but only if you plan on loosening the seat post periodically and giving it a little twist to keep it from galvanizing to the frame.

Actually, Lynskey installs an aluminum sleeve in the seat tube to prevent seizing. Not sure if this is common with all Ti frames.

Use anti-seize on every threaded part of the frame. Do not forget the derailleur hanger, water bottle bolts, cable guide under the BB, and even get some on the headset cups, if they are external. Goop it on and wipe off the excess. Ti will fuse with any metal very quickly. The frame will last forever and if you want to remove any parts then do not be shy with the anti-seize. Anti-seize is better than grease, it will last longer and is much more tacky preventing it from getting displaced during assembly. The carbon post will not seize in any material. Do not grease it or use anti-seize or it might slip; carbon friction paste works well at keeping it from getting a bit sticky and makes for a secure post.

Congratulations on the bike. I ride a litespeed icon with chorus 10 and it is a dream. Let us know how you like the bike after you get some rides in.

Use anti-seize on every threaded part of the frame. Do not forget the derailleur hanger, water bottle bolts, cable guide under the BB, and even get some on the headset cups, if they are external. Goop it on and wipe off the excess. Ti will fuse with any metal very quickly. The frame will last forever and if you want to remove any parts then do not be shy with the anti-seize. Anti-seize is better than grease, it will last longer and is much more tacky preventing it from getting displaced during assembly.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I been riding a Bianchi Ti carbon for 4 years and no probs so far. make sure the front mech hanger is anodised because that can make a mess if it corodes but otherwise a little grease in BB etc. I use a carbon seat post so no probs with that.
Big investment so make sure its insured most insurance companys prefer them there is little or none excess as with carbon now $500 excess

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
i have an old litespeed catalyst. i guess i should take it apart and put some anti-seize or at least some grease on all of the threads. never thought of putting some on the rd hanger, cable holders, although i've always used it for the bottle mounts and the seatpost. i'm not sure what's available locally, but what's a good anti-seize, and how does it differ from grease? thanks.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
In short, any un-alike metals will react to each other when in contact and oxidise[rust], so a layer of grease forms a barrier to prevent this.

Cooper said:
I got a new Lynskey R340 frame a couple of weeks ago.

I'm going to remove my Campy Chorus 10 speed groupo from an aluminum frame and install it on the R340. Since this is my first Ti frame, I was wondering if there were any Ti specific things I should be aware of for the build.

For example, do I do anything different at the BB or carbon seat post/seat tube interface?

Antisieze in the BB shell, in the seattube, on anything threaded like the der hanger, bottle bosses. Otherwise just like any other frame.

TRENDING THREADS