• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

To buy Italian Cycling Products?

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else avoid buying Italian cycling products because, well, they are not produced by American companies?

Has anyone else questioned whether the patriotism is worth it?

I bought a Trek 6.x with SRAM Force gruppo, based on the facts that 1) I love my LBS which is a Trek only dealer and 2) the frame is built in Wisconsin.

Yes, I had to get over a moral dilemma in that buying Trek meant supporting LA who shall not be named any more than that.

My kit is entirely Pearl Izumi, also to avoid the Italian cycling cliche.

But does true capitalism dictate that I should go where the price/quality ratio is best? Do the Italian products offer the best price/performance?

I just received a Vittoria Evo tube I bought to replace my in the jersey pocket spare (55 grams). It had the baby power inside and reinforced rubber around the stem, something I cannot say my Bontrager XXX tubes have.

Got me thinking, should I go ahead and buy the Fizik Antares (150 g) I've been lusting after but avoided out of patriotism?

(Note, I bought a German car 2 years ago, come on, no real competition there.)

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Most of the stuff is now made in china any way. Bontrager tube made in china, the pre peg carbon trek uses made in china(used to be utah). So just get what works best for you.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
You talked me into it, I'm buyin the Antares with braided carbon rails.

Yep, the Vittoria ("Italian") tubes are made in Thailand.

The Pearl Izumi stuff is made in China.

I guess the carbon in my carbon Trek comes from China...

F' it.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually, why don't we all cut to the chase

Isn't Giant an unabashed brand of Taiwan?

Why isn't their stuff cheaper than the "named" brands? Aren't they the manufacturer of all carbon bikes basically?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The trouble with protectionism is it can hurt you more than them. Crusades like buy American can have very positive short term benefits but eventually the product must shine on its own. Protectionism sometimes lets poorer quality items to reign over better items weakening the domestic competitiveness.
The USA is a capitalist country where true market forces push the strong up and the weak out. So if Trek is the best then Trek should win. Trouble with bikes is there is romance and you can't manufacture that.
Buy your heart it carries a better reward.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
(This comment is NOT specific to the US)

I've generally found it a bit odd that people are willing to pay more for an often inferior product on the basis that it was made in their own country and will make some other countryman richer.

Bikes are a classic example of this where people are proud that their carbon frame was made in their own country when the acknowledged world leaders in carbon bike manufacture are in Asia.

The question is, which does more for your country? Paying more so that it goes to some other countryman, or paying LESS so that you have more cash to spend on other things for yourself?

(and of course, do these decisions make even the slightest difference to national economies?)

When I started riding many years ago, and racing, I would never have bought anything American. Why would I have? I lived in America, am American, and saw in cycling a means of participating in something of a more worldly scope, where my preferences then lay in French and Italian cycling products.

Today I no longer live in America, though would find no trouble in buying a US bike, although I would never own a Trek.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Most carbon products is made in Taiwan . Why not they have the very best technology.
The workers do a great job for a bowl of rice.
Most frame and wheel manufacturers have products made under licence in Taiwan

Only italian stuff is hand made and custom built. and you pay for it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Most carbon products is made in Taiwan .
Only italian stuff is hand made and custom built. and you pay for it.

Thats not entirely true. Most companies - including the italian majors - get their frames made in several of the same factories in Asia.

SOME Italian frames are hand made in Italy, but it is equally true that SOME frames from a number of other countries are also made in their home countries.

There are some good threads on this topic here including some detailed posts by a designer from a major manufacturer - if I can find the links I will post them :D

May 23, 2010
Visit site
When you buy from Trek you buy from a company that USED to build in america but no longer does. Colnago and Pinarello were never made in the US. Increasing numbers of Americans work to bring you Italian products while a decreasing number of Americans give you more and more treks from Taiwan. Weeee whooooo! Maybe NASCAR would be a better sport for you..nevermind the Toyotas.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Vittoria Tubes and tires are made in Thailand because that's where the rubber comes from. Cheaper to set up a factory there, train and pay local workers (who will work for a lower wage), than it is to ship rubber to Italy from Thailand.

weird thinking...

Why did you single out Italy? You chose to buy SRAM components which are made in China (as are the Bontrager components on every Trek). The US doesn't have a MASSIVE trade deficit with Italy, but it sure does China...and yet you chose to support that.

If you wanted to do your best to support the US you would have bought a US made frame from a smaller builder (IF for starters), hung some Thomson stuff on it, some Am Classic wheels and some Campy components (you can't buy US made stuff....not even close).

By buying a Trek you supported the business model that is gutting the US economy (along with your footloose and fancy free banking rules). This model will ensure that the US produces NOTHING of value and will give control of your economy to foreign interests. I'm not saying don't trade with other countries...just be smart about it. But big biz is only smart when it comes to making money....not doing what's best for the people of a country.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Most carbon products is made in Taiwan . Why not they have the very best technology.
The workers do a great job for a bowl of rice.

Ignorant red neck. Taiwan is not a 3rd world country, they have very high levels of education and a highly skilled work force, Taiwanese skilled workers earn a decent wage, and enjoy the benefits of an open society.

Taiwan is at the cutting edge of carbon manufacturing thanks to years of experience with the material (not just with bicycles), with huge manufacturers including Merida (who make Specialized frames, even the expensive ones) and Giant (who also manufactures for "US" and "European"

If you're buying a steel frame, the years of manufacturing and R&D of european brands pays off, but carbon is a different material and as such a lot of the european bike DNA is lost. I'd much rather a Taiwan made Giant (with all the carbon R&D investment they've made) than a carbon bike from an obscure European manufacturer (and manufacturing in house) without the same R&D budget and living off the name they made as a steel manufacturer. Big Euro brands like Pinarello and Time (though Time's lower level frames are manufactured in Eastern Europe, to gain the lower salaries but still put a 'Manufactured in Europe' sticker on the frame) have the money to invest in significant R&D, however I question whether the same can be said for someone like Casati (who I have had a steel frame from for decades).

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Road Hazard said:
Does anyone else avoid buying Italian cycling products because, well, they are not produced by American companies?

Has anyone else questioned whether the patriotism is worth it?

I bought a Trek 6.x with SRAM Force gruppo, based on the facts that 1) I love my LBS which is a Trek only dealer and 2) the frame is built in Wisconsin.

Yes, I had to get over a moral dilemma in that buying Trek meant supporting LA who shall not be named any more than that.

My kit is entirely Pearl Izumi, also to avoid the Italian cycling cliche.

But does true capitalism dictate that I should go where the price/quality ratio is best? Do the Italian products offer the best price/performance?

I just received a Vittoria Evo tube I bought to replace my in the jersey pocket spare (55 grams). It had the baby power inside and reinforced rubber around the stem, something I cannot say my Bontrager XXX tubes have.

Got me thinking, should I go ahead and buy the Fizik Antares (150 g) I've been lusting after but avoided out of patriotism?

(Note, I bought a German car 2 years ago, come on, no real competition there.)

Get the fork steerer tube checked ASAP.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...rned-about-broken-carbon-steerer-tubes_121389

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm American, and I bought an American frame, Ouzo Pro fork, Campy Chorus components and various other Italian and other country stuff. I bought an American Ti frame because that is what I wanted. I always buy what I want (within my budget) and never purchase anything based on patriotism. I have always owned Japanese and German cars because, once again, they are what I wanted and I personally think they are great. I sometimes take a lot of slack from friends because I am not a very patriotic consumer - but the way I look at it is it's my money and I live in a relatively free society so I'll spend my money on things that appeal to me - not because they are made in my home country.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
biker jk said:

Thanks for this, interesting.

As for Italy, I singled out Italy not out of patriotism really but because "Italian Cycling Products" are a cliche. Might be a well founded cliche but still, I try to buck the trend of all-cycling-Italian-is-good. If it is great, I would hope that the US can also produce top quality cycling products.

As for protectionism, it does work, if the government has the balls to enforce it. Americans don't have those balls [fn.1], the Chinese do (with some consequences that come from living under a very controlling government, but at least they've got manufacturing locked).

SRAM and Bontrager products may be produced overseas, but at least the company management is in the US.

If you don't think it's important to keep wealth in your own country, well, happy global economy to you. We have a growing population in the US and a decreasing number of decently paid jobs. But the gov can keep creating meaningless public employment to keep people busy I suppose.

Soon (if not already) another country will overtake the US in terms of economic power, will offer the incentive for immigration, and the masses will flock there. It's the cycle of life. If you can keep your service industry, well paid job in the US great, that's my plan. If not, good luck.

Fn.1: That was more inflammatory than I intended. The US needs imports, and there are diplomatic and practical considerations. It's not as easy as levying all imports at 200% "hahaha". Still, if the guy next to you is trying to box you out, sometimes you have to abandon idealism and thrown an elbow.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmmm said:
I'm American, and I bought an American frame, Ouzo Pro fork, Campy Chorus components and various other Italian and other country stuff. I bought an American Ti frame because that is what I wanted. I always buy what I want (within my budget) and never purchase anything based on patriotism. I have always owned Japanese and German cars because, once again, they are what I wanted and I personally think they are great. I sometimes take a lot of slack from friends because I am not a very patriotic consumer - but the way I look at it is it's my money and I live in a relatively free society so I'll spend my money on things that appeal to me - not because they are made in my home country.

I hear you. I would like to support the "local" economy but I'm not on a religious mission to do so. If I can I do, if the cost of supporting US products becomes too high (in terms of price, or quality etc.) then I don't. It's a subjective decision, as cost always is.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Road Hazard said:
SRAM and Bontrager products may be produced overseas, but at least the company management is in the US.
Too me (personally) it is worse when an organisation that starts in one economy the effectively sells out its name for economic SELF interest, they then have only their worth in Marketing. I am not sure about you but I have a low opinion of marketing
As we know most Colnago's (by volume not value) are now made in Taiwan but to me that has lessened the value of the brand and they are not on my shopping list (OK maybe a Master)

PCuter, well said, but you can add LOOK to Time, these companies were the true carbon pioneers, the first Giant Carbon bikes (the ones with the exposed Aluminum lugs) were basically Look rips
(Note that Look now have some components -or maybe its is just component parts- made in Morocco, but the Frames are French, I also acknowlede I am showing some bias here:))
Specialized, Giant, sure they are made in Taiwan but don't profess to be anything else

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
redtreviso said:
When you buy from Trek you buy from a company that USED to build in america but no longer does. Colnago and Pinarello were never made in the US. Increasing numbers of Americans work to bring you Italian products while a decreasing number of Americans give you more and more treks from Taiwan. Weeee whooooo! Maybe NASCAR would be a better sport for you..nevermind the Toyotas.

Trek still build frames in the states only the top end road and MTB frames.
I have one but the best frame I have had was a handmade steel Fondrest out of deda zero tubing ,crafted in Italy.
but when 90% of the worlds carbon frames are made in Asia does it matter what name is on it? you pay more $$$s with a euro name on it for the same product .
I remember working in a store and we had a LOOK carbon bike next to a carbon Diamond back road bike and they were the same frame both from Tiawan the serial numbers were nealy the same.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Road Hazard said:
QUOTE]

Just one of the many reasons I am so, so, so glad not to be from the US.

A note to our US friends - "American" can refer to your beloved country, any of the Carribean, central or south American nations or even your northern neighbours. I appreciate you take pride in not owning passports or atlases, but do try not to hog the heritage of your neighbours.

TRENDING THREADS