• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

To those worried about getting all the new gear this year....

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I'd be more impressed if he had downtube shifters - but I absolutely see your point. 99% legs, 1% gear. If I had the legs, I wouldn't need the gear.

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
amen to that

i lived in Chile for 4 and a half months and was lucky enough to get a bike down there that i could train on. I found a small group of guys (el club de ciclismo de Valdivia) that rode their asses off. Their bikes were at the very least 10 to 15 years old, only a few were clipped in, nothing was carbon . . . but they rode with an impressive passion which i will never forget. although my 3000 dollar race bike was halfway around the world, they inspired me to do some of the best riding of my life. if you dont know how to suffer, technology is useless.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Hairy Wheels said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/vuelta-a-cuba-2-2/stage-2/photos/105655

It's funny, but not having electronic shifting or 11-speed hasn't stopped this guy from being in the break. Hmmm....maybe all of the marketing isn't worth as much as it would have us believe?

Nice call Hairy. It wasn't so many years ago that Mavic Zap was supposedly going to dominate the market. What a joke. The miniscule precision gains of eletronic shifting don't offset the extra weight from the battery and the risk of failure at a critical moment in a race.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Correct Hairy, the only ones who are helped by the techno-crap that has come along are the manufacturers and vendors. It's like they're trying to reinvent every part of the bicycle because they discovered the public is stupid enough to buy them. The public is like a mass of cattle ..... tell them anything and mooo ...... they follow.