• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ToC doping control

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
A key point:

"even if controls were conducted by them [USADA], UCI would keep the full responsibility of results management".

In other words, USADA collects. And we'll tell everyone if there's a problem.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
It will be curious who will now alter their racing schedules as a result of this change. The 90-window for USADA is critical but I wonder how much money USADA will burn in collecting samples from around the globe. Further, what are the "roster" policies regarding a late scratch and replacement? Can a rider be added to a roster who was not in the 90-day participation?

I wonder if there also will be a "before-after" matrix showcasing the volume, types and frequency of tests once this years Tour of California is complete.

This is progress. This is a far cry from when they did not even test for EPO during the first edition of the event, citing "costs".

Colm.Murphy said:
It will be curious who will now alter their racing schedules as a result of this change. The 90-window for USADA is critical but I wonder how much money USADA will burn in collecting samples from around the globe. Further, what are the "roster" policies regarding a late scratch and replacement? Can a rider be added to a roster who was not in the 90-day participation?

I wonder if there also will be a "before-after" matrix showcasing the volume, types and frequency of tests once this years Tour of California is complete.

This is progress. This is a far cry from when they did not even test for EPO during the first edition of the event, citing "costs".

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_17271958

Lance Armstrong, the seven-time winner of the Tour of France, has not committed to the 2011 Amgen Tour of California, race president Andrew Messick said Wednesday during a news conference to announce a new drug-testing program for America's biggest cycling event.

Armstrong, a target of an ongoing federal investigation of performance-enhancing drugs in U.S. cycling, was expected to end his professional career at the California race that comes to San Jose on May 18. The tour runs from May 15-22.

"We have no commitment from him," Messick said. "No commitment from RadioShack (his team). The last we heard was he didn't know."

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
A key point:

I don't think this is a problem. If USADA notifies the UCI/WADA of a positive, it is the role of the UCI to act. Notifying the athlete and the athletes national governing body.

I find it hard to believe that the UCI could even attempt to bury a positive, even in light of how they handled the Contador case, under current conditions.

Now, back before the concurrent notification of a positive to the governing body/WADA/IOC, this was a problem, a la Tour de Suisse for Lance in 2001. Results of an adverse A going straight to the UCI, where only they know the name of the rider (by sample #), and can direct the lab to do what they want. The scheme is a closed loop. Just grease a palm or two over at the lab, neat and tidy-like.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Lance Armstrong, the seven-time winner of the Tour of France, has not committed to the 2011 Amgen Tour of California, race president Andrew Messick said Wednesday during a news conference to announce a new drug-testing program for America's biggest cycling event.

Armstrong, a target of an ongoing federal investigation of performance-enhancing drugs in U.S. cycling, was expected to end his professional career at the California race that comes to San Jose on May 18. The tour runs from May 15-22.

"We have no commitment from him," Messick said. "No commitment from RadioShack (his team). The last we heard was he didn't know."

Holy shi-. Made me grin a little, poor Lance finally someone doing doping controls and he's not driving. :rolleyes:

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_17271958

I wonder if Lance is driving up his appearance fee due to the increase in perceived "risk"?

Also, what kind of team does not have its race schedule nailed down yet? And an American one at that? I wonder if anyone has asked Levi if he is planning on racing the event?

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Reading it again, the comment from the AEG guy is a little odd, almost contentious. Would a comment like "At this time, we are awaiting rosters and confirmations for many riders and teams" come off a little better?

Messick is the head of the race? Also the guy Landis cornered last year?

Very interesting.

Lance is retiring. Lance can rest on his laurels, he has no need to dope for this event. He can smile, sit back and wave to the crowd. Lance would be a complete moron to dope for the 2011 Tour of California, and we know he isn't one of them.

I suppose the only problem is if he is selected for "random" drug testing then his DNA could be linked to other things that USADA, the FDA or somebody else already have, just as Alejandro Valverde was selected for a "random" drugs test after Prato Nervoso. That's the only reason I can see for him giving a damn.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Lance is retiring. Lance can rest on his laurels, he has no need to dope for this event. He can smile, sit back and wave to the crowd. Lance would be a complete moron to dope for the 2011 Tour of California, and we know he isn't one of them.

I suppose the only problem is if he is selected for "random" drug testing then his DNA could be linked to other things that USADA, the FDA or somebody else already have, just as Alejandro Valverde was selected for a "random" drugs test after Prato Nervoso. That's the only reason I can see for him giving a damn.

USADA can test Lance any time as it is. He is a USA licensed rider (unless that presumption is wrong). It's not like Lance is licensed by Mexico or Argentina or Monaco.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if USADA will do night time controls.

Otherwise, i think its a great idea USADA is doing the controls at the ToC. With the knowledge gained from Landis, it should be interesting to follow the ToC and see if its making a difference in the fight against doping.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
That 90-day window for pre-race testing starts Feb 14/15. Yet Radioslack (an American team) still haven't decided whether they are going to represent their American sponsor by racing in the most visible American race? The multiple-years' winner, Levi, still doesn't know whether he's going to race this event this year? I find this odd. Are they all expecting to be indicted before then? Or can Johan not put together a Giro team and an AToC team at the same time, like last year?

I would bet the other US teams have already finalized their plans to race this event, and also Rabobank who have to represent the sponsor. They may not have finalized the actual rider roster just yet, but the damn teams know they are coming. How can the Shack explain not knowing whether they are entering? And doesn't their sponsor care whether they race the only event where there are actual Radioshack stores?

Libertine Seguros said:

Are you possibly overlooking that fact that he still has to finish the race? Guys aren't exactly lollygagging in May like they did in February. Will his laurels pedal for him?

Dude's racing age is 40 on that little ole license he carries. If he isn't on the juice, and with two mountain top stages this year, smiling, sitting back, and waving aren't on the menu when you're trying to stay 10 meters in front of the broom wagon.

And it also doesn't look like he's doing a boatload of training either...

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
I wonder if Lance is driving up his appearance fee due to the increase in perceived "risk"?

Also, what kind of team does not have its race schedule nailed down yet? And an American one at that? I wonder if anyone has asked Levi if he is planning on racing the event?

Yeah, and why would RadioShack (the sponsor) want positive American press hits?

Beech Mtn said:
That 90-day window for pre-race testing starts Feb 14/15. Yet Radioslack (an American team) still haven't decided whether they are going to represent their American sponsor by racing in the most visible American race? The multiple-years' winner, Levi, still doesn't know whether he's going to race this event this year? I find this odd. Are they all expecting to be indicted before then? Or can Johan not put together a Giro team and an AToC team at the same time, like last year?

I would bet the other US teams have already finalized their plans to race this event, and also Rabobank who have to represent the sponsor. They may not have finalized the actual rider roster just yet, but the damn teams know they are coming. How can the Shack explain not knowing whether they are entering? And doesn't their sponsor care whether they race the only event where there are actual Radioshack stores?

LL: I want to take back the Tour of California crown and I believe the course in 2011 really suits me well. The TT is the same course I won three times before and the Mt. Baldy stage is going to be the first true mountain finish in the race’s history.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/02/news/catching-up-with-levi-ted-ryder-chris-and-tejay_158428

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
SNIP That 90-day window for pre-race testing starts Feb 14/15. Yet Radioslack (an American team) still haven't decided whether they are going to represent their American sponsor by racing in the most visible American race?

I think you are reading too much into the statement. I'm pretty sure what AEG is stating is that they don't have a roster from Radio Shack stating LA is racing. I bet they don't have that from many teams yet. I"m sure they have another week to submit, plus they have to submit alternates and I bet the teams hadn't thought that far out.

This whole '90 day' process is probably new territory for most teams.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
And doesn't their sponsor care whether they race the only event where there are actual Radioshack stores?
Radio Shack has actual stores? :D

BotanyBay said:
A key point:
"even if controls were conducted by them [USADA], UCI would keep the full responsibility of results management".

I too find this a bit disturbing. Who is that statement meant for? Is it supposed to reassure someone? And what does mean "even if"? Sorry Enrico, controls will be conducted by USADA. Why does he come across as if it's up for debate? It seems impossible for any of these guys to keep their mouths shut.

I also wonder just how much of a ploy Tygart is putting forth. One hardly needs to test a rider that is too scared to dope. ;)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:

Legal fees, Fabiani fees, the dude needs $$$$. Squeezing ToC will only get him a few months of Fabiani and a couple months of Shepphard Mullin Richter and Hampton. Hemorrhaging money.

TRENDING THREADS