• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ToCalifornia Stage 8: TO/Westlake/Agoura Hills 134.4km

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The final stage; interesting in that most of the sprinters are gone. That could affect team tactics.
10_atoc_stage_8_profile_1_1_600.jpg

Four laps on this. Obviously HTC is now focused solely on placing Michael Rodgers atop the podium (convenient that Cav missed the cut friday nes pas). But the lack of sprinters means the teams with various podium desires will have to do the work. I expect controlled chaos...

Reminds me of this Dave Matthews song.
[edit: my mistake, tried to embed the audio]

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
HTC will try to control, but Garmin, Radio Shack, and Liquigas will most likely interupt. I see both Tommy D and Chris Horner putting serious pressure on. And perhaps Sagan will be inspired by his teammates in Italy.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'll gamble on young norwegian sprinter Alexander Kristoff if Hincapie leads him out. He probably won't win it, but he did actually beat Hushovd in the norwegian championships in 2007 so he's quite fast.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
That hill is pretty steep and it's a circuit race. I don't think we'll see the likes of Kristoff or Eisel in the final lead group

Probably not, but it depends on the pace set by the peloton. Or, the pace set by Tony Martin that is.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
And just to make things more interesting, today's weather forecast:

A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Windy. Highs in the mid 60s. North winds around 15 mph shifting to the west 15 to 25 mph with local gusts to 35 mph in the afternoon.

Very atypical weather for SoCal this time of year.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
According to the tickers there is already a big split in the field, group of 25 or so off the front with Rogers, Zabriskie, Leipheimer and Sagan in it, all with team-mates.

This is a mini Alpe d'Huez according to Liggett.

Everything is an Alpe d'Huez. Big Bear was 'comparable to Alpe d'Huez'. This miniscule climb is 'a mini Alpe d'Huez'. You'd think Liggett had never heard of any other climbs.

Also, how cringeworthy. I wonder if tweedledee and tweedledum have much to say about the Giro d'Italia stage to Zoncolan.

Libertine Seguros said:

Everything is an Alpe d'Huez. Big Bear was 'comparable to Alpe d'Huez'. This miniscule climb is 'a mini Alpe d'Huez'. You'd think Liggett had never heard of any other climbs.

Also, how cringeworthy. I wonder if tweedledee and tweedledum have much to say about the Giro d'Italia stage to Zoncolan.

the italian alpe d'huez, you mean?

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Libertine Seguros said:

It's more a mini Isle of Mann TT most weekends with all the sportbikes.
I've been over it many times on the motorcycle

I have to say... Whatever you say about the quality of the race itself, the scenery is absolutely magificent. Despite two weeks of Italian beauty (and I'll never forgive the weather gods for robbing us of the chance to admire the Tuscan scenery on stage 7), California is really unparalled.