• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tokyo 2020 Olympics - pre games news

Let's start off a thread about the 2020 Olympics that's all about fair play & sport & ...

nah, give us the dirt on corruption!

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/11/...rruption-tsunekazu-takeda-spt-intl/index.html
The head of the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) Tsunekazu Takeda was placed under formal investigation in Paris last month for corruption, a spokeswoman for the Paris Financial Prosecutor told CNN Friday.

The investigation relates to the bidding process for the Olympic Games, with reports that a suspect payment of €1.8 million (US $2 million) was made around the announcement that Tokyo was to host the 2020 Olympics.
Takeda, a former show jumper who competed at the 1972 and 1976 Olympics, has been the president of the JOC since 2001 and was instrumental in Tokyo winning the right to host the Games. He's also a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

"It appears that wrong information is being distributed about me indicted based on today's article on Le Monde," Takeda said in a statement. "There is no such description in the article, nor such a fact exist."
Takeda acknowledged a sum had been paid to Singapore company Black Tidings for "fair compensation based on a consultant agreement."

But he added: "I have explained there were no improper action that can be recognized as bribing has taken place.

Interesting. Then consider that for 2024 only two cities even were in the running for and thus we end up with Paris for 2024 and LA for 2028. It's very likely that LA will yet again turn a profit from the Olympics simply because they only have to refurbish some of their existing facilities and not build much new. This is part of the reason they can turn a profit. They never bid where they are required to build new for the Olympics. They also ensure that in their bid they have the right to use existing facilities, which they have more than enough of, esp considering they have 3 major Universities in the city, plus a bunch of pro sports teams.

Back in 2016 The Guardian had the dirt on this -
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/11/tokyo-olympics-payment-diack-2020-games
It is now understood that among transactions under suspicion are payments totalling about €1.3m apparently sent from the Tokyo 2020 bid, or those acting on their behalf, directly to the Black Tidings secret bank account in Singapore. The account is linked to Lamine Diack’s son, Papa Massata Diack, who was employed by the IAAF as a marketing consultant.

Lamine Diack, IAAF president from 1999 to last year, was still an influential IOC member in 2013 when Tokyo beat fellow bidders Istanbul and Madrid.

Black Tidings is at the heart of the allegations of institutionalised corruption at the IAAF over more than a decade.
The Black Tidings account first came to prominence when it emerged that the account was the channel for a €300,000 refund paid to Russian marathon runner Liliya Shobukhova in March 2014 after a botched attempt to cover up a positive drugs test.

The IAAF’s independent ethics commission began investigating the affair later that year and in a damning 170-page report this January banned four senior officials, including Papa Massata Diack and its former anti-doping chief Gabriel Dollé, over the corruption and extortion racket.

more about IOC & Japan - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...onal-olympic-committee-corruption-bid-scandal
Those with long memories will recall that Japan previously played fast and loose with the rules – as did many other nations. Nagano won the right to host the 1998 Winter Games after providing IOC members with trips to luxury hot spring resorts, first-class air tickets, and geisha – although they insisted no sexual favours were provided – while the-then IOC president, Juan Antonio Samaranch, was put up in the top suite at the Hotel Kokusai 21, which the Nagano Olympic Committee rented for 30 days at $2,700 a night.

The largesse didn’t end there. Nagano also provided millions of dollars in corporate contributions to help build an Olympic museum in Switzerland while the bidding race was going on. Mere coincidence, it claimed. All this was meticulously documented by its bid committee in a series of files that filled 10 large cardboard boxes. However when the focus turned on them, the papers were burned. As the bid’s former vice secretary-general Sumikazu Yamaguchi sheepishly explained: “I didn’t want the IOC members to be uncomfortable.”

edit - update - https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190113_03/
The Japanese Olympic Committee says President Tsunekazu Takeda will talk about the corruption probe in France at a news conference on Tuesday.
Sources say Takeda wants to speak for himself and present the facts at the news conference in Tokyo.

Re:

Koronin said:
Interesting. Then consider that for 2024 only two cities even were in the running for and thus we end up with Paris for 2024 and LA for 2028. It's very likely that LA will yet again turn a profit from the Olympics simply because they only have to refurbish some of their existing facilities and not build much new. This is part of the reason they can turn a profit. They never bid where they are required to build new for the Olympics. They also ensure that in their bid they have the right to use existing facilities, which they have more than enough of, esp considering they have 3 major Universities in the city, plus a bunch of pro sports teams.
This is the only reason why any place should bid for the Olympics these days - it's because they already have some sites that only need some updating.

Otherwise you'll just be losing a whole a lot of money on the Games if you need to build brand new! (Smart on the part of the nations who outright refuse to bid for the Olympics, methinks.)

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
This is the only reason why any place should bid for the Olympics these days - it's because they already have some sites that only need some updating.

Otherwise you'll just be losing a whole a lot of money on the Games if you need to build brand new! (Smart on the part of the nations who outright refuse to bid for the Olympics, methinks.)

Exactly. The few things that they may build new will end up being used by one of the Universities.

I remember Atlanta did build a few things new, but they had specific plans for those after as well and Atlanta broke even on their Olympics.

The timing of this is quite interesting, since there were allegations a few years ago but nothing happened. I don't know if anyone here's been following the Nissan/Ghosn situation, but CEO Ghosn, was tossed in the slammer and who knows if he's actually guilty, so people are saying it could be tit for tat from the French bringing this about now (Renault is deeply involved with Nissan). Then again, maybe it's not.. just putting it here regardless!

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:

Yea but generally, the Olympics are handed out to countries whose bids are contingent on new venues, so mates of the IOC's reps can get lucrative contracts to build them. Why do you think Munich's Winter Olympic bid - including the 1972 Olympic stadium, Königsee luge/bob venue, Garmisch ski jump & Alpine runs and Ruhpolding's biathlon venue - fell apart while places like Beijing - which doesn't even have any Alpine venues big enough for a real, genuinely challenging Olympic downhill - get the nod?

Libertine Seguros said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:

Yea but generally, the Olympics are handed out to countries whose bids are contingent on new venues, so mates of the IOC's reps can get lucrative contracts to build them. Why do you think Munich's Winter Olympic bid - including the 1972 Olympic stadium, Königsee luge/bob venue, Garmisch ski jump & Alpine runs and Ruhpolding's biathlon venue - fell apart while places like Beijing - which doesn't even have any Alpine venues big enough for a real, genuinely challenging Olympic downhill - get the nod?

Hence the reason LA only bids when they know very few if any other cities/countries want it again. They aren't going to build new when they already have what they need. The LA Collissuem was built for the LA summer Olympics of 1924. It got a huge overall for the 1984 LA Summer Olympics and is yet again getting a huge overall haul for the 2028 LA Summer Olympics. Plus USC is going to be thrilled with it getting the over haul as that is where they play their football games. UCLA's one arena will get a huge overall for the gymnastics events, and I think it's Cal that has the aquatic center that will get an overhaul.

Libertine Seguros said:
I don't disagree with this at all - lucrative contracts are great for the people who stand to temporarily financially gain from them, but what average (somewhat athletic) person will use the highly sport-specific sites once the Olympics are over?

Think the Winter Games are more costly in those terms, I mean, most people can make use of a running track, a pool, or a basketball court, but how many of us can slide down a bobsledding track or do some ski jumping just because the impulse has hit us?

Think we're all being a little too practical and frugal here, but that's probably because we don't stand to make any money from the Games.

Tricycle Rider said:
Libertine Seguros said:
I don't disagree with this at all - lucrative contracts are great for the people who stand to temporarily financially gain from them, but what average (somewhat athletic) person will use the highly sport-specific sites once the Olympics are over?

Think the Winter Games are more costly in those terms, I mean, most people can make use of a running track, a pool, or a basketball court, but how many of us can slide down a bobsledding track or do some ski jumping just because the impulse has hit us?

Think we're all being a little too practical and frugal here, but that's probably because we don't stand to make any money from the Games.

I think this is why the two in the US have become Olympic training facilities and I know Lake Placid uses the bobsled course for anyone who wants to pay to get rides down it in a 2 or 4 man bobsled with a licensed driver.

In this case, it's likely also the reason only LA has made money and only Atlanta has broken even with the summer games. Enough pro and college sports around for other uses for the facilities.

Koronin said:
I think this is why the two in the US have become Olympic training facilities and I know Lake Placid uses the bobsled course for anyone who wants to pay to get rides down it in a 2 or 4 man bobsled with a licensed driver.

In this case, it's likely also the reason only LA has made money and only Atlanta has broken even with the summer games. Enough pro and college sports around for other uses for the facilities.
Wait what, this is a thing? Sounds more like a Disney ride if all you need is a licensed driver.

I mean, I'm used to watching the pros all having to push/balance their weight in the bobsled and such, it all sounds incredibly technical on that level. Which I'm sure it is.

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:

Wait what, this is a thing? Sounds more like a Disney ride if all you need is a licensed driver.

I mean, I'm used to watching the pros all having to push/balance their weight in the bobsled and such, it all sounds incredibly technical on that level. Which I'm sure it is.

A licensed bobsled driver. Basically they provide the driver for you. Yes I'd love to go there and try it.

Koronin said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:

A licensed bobsled driver. Basically they provide the driver for you. Yes I'd love to go there and try it.
My apologies, I did omit saying it's actually supposed to be a licensed bobsled driver.

Sounds kinda fun, but would you have a licensed bobsled braker in the back of the sled?

Giving it the old Sergeant Schultz, "I know nothing" line, says he just signed the documents.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190115_43/
The head of Japan's Olympic Committee is denying any wrongdoing related to allegations he used bribes to help secure the 2020 Tokyo Games.

Tsunekazu Takeda is currently under formal investigation by French authorities.

The case relates to a 2 million dollar payment to a Singapore-based firm with links to the son of an influential International Olympic Committee member.

During a news conference on Tuesday, Takeda said he signed off on the payment, but the documents and transactions were approved by people on the ground.

He said, "As for the contract with Black Tidings, I was not involved in the decision making process in any shape or form. The JOC's internal probe has concluded that the payment to the firm was proper compensation for consulting services. I will prove my innocence by fully cooperating with French authorities."

The former IOC member allegedly connected to the firm is currently facing separate corruption charges in France.

Takeda's news conference lasted less than 10 minutes. And he did not take any questions from journalists, pointing to the ongoing French probe.

Associated Press correspondent Stephen Wade said, "In Brazil in Rio de Janeiro. We spent a lot of time writing about corruption. This is very similar .. Tokyo has been going so well and this is a black mark in Tokyo games."

Japan's Sports Minister says the country's Olympic Committee has a responsibility to clear up any doubt about the allegations.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/arti...committee-president-after-bribery-allegations
Tsunekazu Takeda is set to resign as President of the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) following bribery allegations linked to the successful bid from Tokyo 2020, it has been reported.

Japanese agency Kyodo News reported that he could step down as early as next Tuesday (March 19) when the JOC hold a Board meeting.

They cited as a source "person close to him", who said, "he wants to quit".

The Asahi Shimbun reported that he could announce his decision not to seek another term as JOC President when elections take place in June.

Takeda would also be expected to step down as a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), a position he has held since 2012.

Among the key roles he holds at the IOC is chair of its powerful Marketing Commission.

Earlier today, Kyodo News reported, Japan's Prime Minister Shinzō Abe held a private meeting with Yoshirō Mori, a predecessor of Abe and now President of Tokyo 2020.

The catalyst for Takeda's decision to step down reportedly came after IOC President Thomas Bach turned down an invitation to attend one-year to go celebrations for Tokyo 2020 on July 24 for fears of being associated with Takeda.

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:

My apologies, I did omit saying it's actually supposed to be a licensed bobsled driver.

Sounds kinda fun, but would you have a licensed bobsled braker in the back of the sled?
its not fun, i did it in italy on the olympic track, it was one of the most painful experiences of my life. my neck was f'cked for days afterwards.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/47623756
The head of Japan's Olympic Committee (JOC) is stepping down over corruption allegations relating to the awarding of the 2020 Games to Tokyo.

Tsunekazu Takeda is being investigated by French prosecutors who are looking into claims a 2m Euro (£1.7m) bribe was paid to secure Tokyo's winning bid.

Tokyo was awarded the Games in 2013, beating Madrid and Istanbul.

"I don't believe I've done anything illegal," Takeda said as he announced he would not seek re-election.

"It pains me to have created such a fuss, but I believe it is my responsibility to serve out the rest of my term," he added.

Takeda's tenure ends in June.

Singer01 said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:

its not fun, i did it in italy on the olympic track, it was one of the most painful experiences of my life. my neck was f'cked for days afterwards.

Wow. I've always thought it would be similar to a roller coaster. To me similar to one at Cedar Point called the Mean Streak. It's a newer wooden coaster that reaches high speeds (I think it's still the faster wooden coaster in the world) and slams you around in the seat. You're going to have a nice headache when you get off. When I do get a chance to go to that park I still ride it. Just don't get to go very often anymore. :( (It's in Ohio on the banks of Lake Erie and I'm in NC.)

We could talk about the boss resigning because of corruption, or ... look at this torch, wow!
20190320_27_650647_S.jpg

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190320_27/

The Olympic torch for the 2020 Tokyo Games features a design based on a cherry blossom.

The organizing committee for the Games unveiled the torch on Wednesday, about one year ahead of the start of the torch relay.

The torch is 71 centimeters long and weighs about 1.2 kilograms. The upper section is separated into five parts, which look like cherry petals when viewed from above. The torch is designed so that the five flames converge at the top.

The color of the torch is somewhere between pink and gold. The committee named the color "Sakura and gold." "Sakura" means "cherry blossom" in Japanese.

The torch is made from aluminum, with 30 percent of it recycled from construction waste from temporary housing. The housing was made in the northeastern prefectures of Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima for people who lost their homes in the massive earthquake and tsunami in 2011.

The torch is the work of designer Tokujin Yoshioka, who is active in various fields, including contemporary art. Several manufacturers helped with the production.

Yoshioka said that when he designed the torch, he thought of people affected by the disaster, their mental recovery, and wishes for peace. He noted that the torch is designed to shine with the sun's light. And he said he hopes the runners will also shine and create a road of hope.

The relay will start on March 26 of next year at the J-Village national soccer training center in Fukushima. The torch will travel through all of Japan's 47 prefectures over the course of 121 days leading up to the opening ceremony on July 24.

Interesting also that the earthquake and tsunami in 2011 were mentioned, but not what happened because of them. (hint - KABOOM!) If the torch is made from radioactive waste then the "runners will shine" (or glow), maybe turn into spiderman too.

Olympics minister Yoshitaka Sakurada forced to quit (you can not make this stuff up!)

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east...hinzo-abe-after-gaffe-prone-olympics-minister
Yoshitaka Sakurada, the minister overseeing the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, was forced to resign after infuriating residents of northeast Japan who are trying to rebuild their communities after the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

The previous day, Sakurada said it was more important for members of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) to throw their support behind a lower house politician from Iwate Prefecture, which was badly affected by the 2011 disasters, than to support the reconstruction of the region.
In just six months in the job, Sakurada has demonstrated an uncanny ability to say the wrong thing. Abe decided he would have to go.

Within a month of his appointment, Sakurarda found himself under scrutiny. His portfolio also included overseeing Japan’s cybersecurity strategy but Sakurada admitted he had “never used a computer”. Instead, he said, he delegated staff and secretaries to do that for him. He also admitted he had never read the Olympic charter.

In February, upon learning Japanese swimmer Rikako Ikee had been diagnosed with leukaemia, Sakurada responded by saying was “very disappointed” the host nation would likely not win as many medals at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

...Sakurada has once again demonstrated how Japanese politicians – and especially those of the LDP variety – are parochial, narrow-minded and completely unchained from reality. And the need to keep the factions happy means that we end up with ministers who know nothing and make some horrible comments.

Edit - what the Japenese say - https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190411_16/
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says he plans to reappoint Shunichi Suzuki as minister in charge of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Suzuki will replace Yoshitaka Sakurada, who resigned on Wednesday over a comment that seemingly belittled reconstruction efforts in northeastern Japan.

Abe told reporters Thursday morning he will appoint Suzuki to the post he held before Sakurada. Abe described Suzuki as a veteran who also served as Environment Minister.

Abe said Suzuki is from Iwate Prefecture, which was devastated by the massive 2011 earthquake and tsunami, and has strong hopes the Games will help boost the region's reconstruction.

Abe added that he expects Suzuki will make efforts to regain trust and make the Olympics and Paralympics a success.

Interesting that Abe talks about the earthquake and tsunami but not what is the real problem - the area's radioactive!

TRENDING THREADS