• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

silvergrenade said:
I'm not sure where he'll land up in the list of greats but it's possible that a new era starts with TD. He might just be the greatest rider of his generation especially as Contador, Froome, Vibali are much much older than him.

Hope he writes his name in a lot of history books.

Chapeau BigMouth Tom!

I think a lot of it depends on whether he gets used to riding grand tours. The BM incident clearly showed he still needs more altitude training. But if he takes this victory and uses it to focus purely on GT's he'll almost certainly be a contender in every GT he starts for the next 5 years at the very least.

It was a brave move and a correct move to target the Giro - TDF looked a good option on paper with a less mountainous route and being able to match Froome in the ITT, against the Giro with more ITT but significantly more mountainous. My guess is he will ride the Vuelta and then target the TDF in 2018.

Is on the start list for the Hammer series starting Friday. LS will be horrified with a GT winner riding in this race.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

dacooley said:
that was probably the most individual gt win (on par with the 2011 contador's giro) of the last decade. Bravo, Tom!

He literally won the Giro on his own. And he had enough time to take a dump and still win it. This is even more impressive than Contador's 2011 Giro.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

TheEnoculator said:
dacooley said:
that was probably the most individual gt win (on par with the 2011 contador's giro) of the last decade. Bravo, Tom!

He literally won the Giro on his own. And he had enough time to take a dump and still win it. This is even more impressive than Contador's 2011 Giro.
Of course dumoulin was more impressive. After etna, eveeyone was racing for second place

Great victory for Dumoulin and fully deserved. The way he dug in to limit his losses on those last two stages was really the sign of a champion. In the end his lack of team didn't matter so much, because everyone was so tired that the domestiques from other teams (Katusha aside) weren't doing much anyway, and he made some nice alliances with Jungels and Mollema. Good to see him stay loyal to Sunweb as well; even if it might not objectively be the best team for him, they are the ones that gave him the opportunity and full backed him so deserve a lot of credit.

Bavarianrider said:
So ASO,

now it is up to you to give as 100km of TTing in next years Tour. Dumolin really has a Chance of winning then.
Let's hope not, that would be terrible to watch. A guy smashing everyone in the TT and then riding to a power meter to limit losses in the mountains, doesn't make a great spectacle. It would be Indurain or Wiggins all over again. I'd much rather see Dumoulin continue his transformation and improve his climbing even more - taking it to a Froome like level - rather than fixing courses to suit his current strengths.

DFA123 said:
Bavarianrider said:
So ASO,

now it is up to you to give as 100km of TTing in next years Tour. Dumolin really has a Chance of winning then.
Let's hope not, that would be terrible to watch. A guy smashing everyone in the TT and then riding to a power meter to limit losses in the mountains, doesn't make a great spectacle. It would be Indurain or Wiggins all over again. I'd much rather see Dumoulin continue his transformation and improve his climbing even more - taking it to a Froome like level - rather than fixing courses to suit his current strengths.
I don't think it will make for bad TV at all, rather the contrary (assuming Froome will lose quite some time which is pretty questionable in itself). That forces the best team and the best peak climber (2 stages or so) to go all out and use their strength offensively rather than defensively.

Then you obviously has Movistar etc. as well to try to do damage, assuming Quintana actually participates, but he should IF the mountains will somewhat balance that sort of ITT mileage out.

U'd like to see it - if not just for a change.

DFA123 said:
Bavarianrider said:
So ASO,

Okay so you want to see a great athelte transforming into an Alien skelteon. Okay

May 29, 2015
Visit site

TheEnoculator said:
dacooley said:

Well, he won the Giro in the time trials. Kind of hard to do that not on your own.

May 28, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Breh said:
He? He got towed back to the Quintana/Nibali group by various other teams in the Piancavallo stage, Jungels and Mollema kept his dream alive yesterday.

He has gotten alot of help imo.

He has received help, obviously, but it is quite a harsh statement looking at the relative weakness of his team, the pact between Nibali and Quintana, losing Kelderman in the process, having an ultra bad day, and his poop affair right before the Stelvio so lets not forget his own accomplishment in overcoming these challenges.

Bavarianrider said:
DFA123 said:
Bavarianrider said:
So ASO,

Okay so you want to see a great athelte transforming into an Alien skelteon. Okay
Well, not especially. I'd like him to improve his climbing to a level where he could stay with a group of favourites on the hardest stages, following attacks, rather than having to just limit his losses. And become more of a protagonist in the mountain stages as well. Not sure why he'd have to turn into an alien skeleton to do that. He hasn't turned into one while improving his climbing so far.

Big Mouth Strikes Again! This exact moment will stay with me forever. What a magnificent athlete.

ecebfa535c.jpg

DFA123 said:
Brullnux said:
^Now that would be crap. Having the best climber as also the best time triallist would just make it a three week coronation, even worse than Froome. Like this is perfect. People can still beat him, but only by attacking.
Agreed. Good job nobody has said they want this. :rolleyes:
You said you want Dumoulin to improve his climbing even more, but that would make it pretty boring. I agree that people shouldn't change routes just for him, but I think there should be at least 50km of TT every tour, hopefully more like 70/80. If Dumoulin just stays as he is, it would make everything pretty interesting, even though Froome would still have him.

TRENDING THREADS