• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And he made the selection in San Remo - impressive considering some people have doubted his stamina at his age and slight size.
His trainer said before the race they chose not to train specifically on San Remo, he didn't even do a recon of the finale. Just that he could experience the race, without any pressure or expectations. Considering, he did extremely well. Especially since he didn't know what was coming next in the final.

Some people have accused him of being 'cocky' - but he's just very confident in his abilities; there is a difference.
It doesn't matter. If people decide he's arrogant, then he'll be arrogant. You don't have to search long for an example of public opinion projecting their beliefs onto a young rider.

Does he have to be one or the other? He's never really seemed either to me. He's certainly very confident, but as Axel said, that's not the same as cocky even if it's viewed that way by some.
Nope, it can be both, or it can be none of the above and something completely different. Just curious what people who have been following him think. The reason being, it's easy to take one or two short clips and think something of someone and be completely wrong.

Something to note is that when I ask if someone is cocky, that is not the same as asking if they are arrogant. Cocky can occur if you are confident and bullish on your own abilities, but also accurate in your estimations of your abilities. Arrogant and brash are very different. Not that it matters too much for this conversation, but just to put things in context.

Nope, it can be both, or it can be none of the above and something completely different. Just curious what people who have been following him think. The reason being, it's easy to take one or two short clips and think something of someone and be completely wrong.

Something to note is that when I ask if someone is cocky, that is not the same as asking if they are arrogant. Cocky can occur if you are confident and bullish on your own abilities, but also accurate in your estimations of your abilities. Arrogant and brash are very different. Not that it matters too much for this conversation, but just to put things in context.

The 13:25 5k running time he advertised a while back (discussed on page 4-5 of this thread) gave me the impression that he's either cocky or not very bright.

TRENDING THREADS