• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom Zirbel on Pez

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Just read this article on Pez re: Tom Zirbel

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=8904

Found a couple things interesting:

PEZ: Did you have the second sample tested - how long did it take - what was the result ?
TZ: The 'B' sample took forever! I thought it was going to take like 10 days or so and it ended up taking close to two months. The reason was that the initial lab had problems with their equipment so the 'B' sample had to be retested a different lab. The 'B' confirmed the 'A' result at this second lab.

Amazing that the athletes are held to exacting standards yet the lab is allowed to mess up and then have the sample sent to another lab to complete the test. Hmmm....Let's see, the B sample gets opened but the lab can't confirm the A because their equipment 'sucks'. I know, just 're-package' the sample and send it to another lab....

PEZ: What was the US Cycling/UCI attitude to your defence ?
TZ: I haven't had an official defence. I've signed my Acceptance of Sanction with USADA so in that regard I've had no defence. The reason that I signed the AoS was that I thought USADA had an interest in assisting me in finding out how this happened. I don't think that anymore.

I can see the USADA telling TZ that we'll help figure out what happened and then saying, thanks for signing, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I can also see TZ realizing what he was up against and knowing he couldn't afford to fight the battle.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
mwbyrd said:

Found a couple things interesting:

PEZ: Did you have the second sample tested - how long did it take - what was the result ?
TZ: The 'B' sample took forever! I thought it was going to take like 10 days or so and it ended up taking close to two months. The reason was that the initial lab had problems with their equipment so the 'B' sample had to be retested a different lab. The 'B' confirmed the 'A' result at this second lab.

Amazing that the athletes are held to exacting standards yet the lab is allowed to mess up and then have the sample sent to another lab to complete the test. Hmmm....Let's see, the B sample gets opened but the lab can't confirm the A because their equipment 'sucks'. I know, just 're-package' the sample and send it to another lab....

PEZ: What was the US Cycling/UCI attitude to your defence ?
TZ: I haven't had an official defence. I've signed my Acceptance of Sanction with USADA so in that regard I've had no defence. The reason that I signed the AoS was that I thought USADA had an interest in assisting me in finding out how this happened. I don't think that anymore.

I can see the USADA telling TZ that we'll help figure out what happened and then saying, thanks for signing, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I can also see TZ realizing what he was up against and knowing he couldn't afford to fight the battle.

zirbel chose to retire. he knew the jig was up.

erader

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
mwbyrd said:

I thought USADA had an interest in assisting me in finding out how this happened.
----------

What, lol? The organization that is prosecuting you and has evidence of you taking performance enhancing drugs would try and found out how that happened? Um, they already know how it happened, which is why they are prosecuting you. Really, how can some people be so idiotic?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
jmax22 said:
mwbyrd said:

I thought USADA had an interest in assisting me in finding out how this happened.
----------

What, lol? The organization that is prosecuting you and has evidence of you taking performance enhancing drugs would try and found out how that happened? Um, they already know how it happened, which is why they are prosecuting you. Really, how can some people be so idiotic?

In defense of this statement, USADA has a reputation of playing "good cop" with everyone (Just sign this, let us help you, we all just want what's best, etc) with busted riders. The idea being to get them to sign acceptance letters immediately, thus sparing them any future expense.

Charles Pelkey wrote a very nice article on the topic 2 weeks ago in "The Explainer" column. It does a good job of showing why USADA immediately tries to act like your "friend", when they're really just trying their best to close the case.

the_turncoat.jpg

TRENDING THREADS