• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tommy D. Doing the Giro

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
No idea.
As David Harmon of Eurosport would say: 'You never know what to expect of this young very talented rider'.
He was young and talented in Harmon's eyes 2004-2007:confused:, young and talented at the age of 29?:eek:

Zoncolan said:
No idea.
As David Harmon of Eurosport would say: 'You never know what to expect of this young very talented rider'.
He was young and talented in Harmon's eyes 2004-2007:confused:, young and talented at the age of 29?:eek:

:)

I wonder if Garmin only included him to increase their TTT firepower. If he drops out after that it won't matter.

I still think that TD could win something big. His time is running out though.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I will go the long shot and say he will finish but wearing some bandages :D and definitely in the last 1/3 of the GC.

Conti team here he comes :D

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
:)

I wonder if Garmin only included him to increase their TTT firepower. If he drops out after that it won't matter.

I still think that TD could win something big. His time is running out though.

If you look at their lineup, it does look like their main goal is to win the TTT.
As for Tommy D, his time at Disco and his two top 10 finishes in the Vuelta were a long time ago. I think he even won a stage at the Vuelta?
I dunno, he looked decent at the ToC early in the year, haven't heard much of him since.
Me thinks he has a mental issue of some sort. Not enough self-confidence, ability to suffer?
We'll see, I doubt he'll win anything of significance.:(

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Why does everyone get so worked up about Tommy D. when he has never lived up to the hype? He is a good rider, but just one of a bunch of good riders. He gets sick a lot, or makes sickness an excuse for poor performances a lot. I am sure there are plenty of other riders that deserve more attention for their GC potential - Andy or Frank Schleck, Kreuziger, Gesink, Brajkovic, Valjavec. They have backed up their hype/potential with results. Tommy D. has not. In all fairness, the hype was more than likely not his doing. I hope he has a good Giro and finishes highly without getting sick.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Valjavec, talk about one of the blandest riders in the whole peloton. Somehow he always manages to end up in the top 15 of a grand tour, without ever being in the picture or riding in front. He's like the embodiment of average, one of those ghosts in the peloton that always make you think 'Hey, I didn't even notice he was competing in this race?'. Not to mention he's totally worthless in any fantasy cycling game :p

But back to Danielson :D

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Tom who?......I seem to remember this chump being labelled the next Lance Armstrong. He'll retire after stage 3 having forgotten his sun cream or dropped his Clif bar along the route.:D

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
If you look at their lineup, it does look like their main goal is to win the TTT.
As for Tommy D, his time at Disco and his two top 10 finishes in the Vuelta were a long time ago. I think he even won a stage at the Vuelta?
I dunno, he looked decent at the ToC early in the year, haven't heard much of him since.
Me thinks he has a mental issue of some sort. Not enough self-confidence, ability to suffer?
We'll see, I doubt he'll win anything of significance.:(

That he certainly did in 2006.

Is he a chance for the Tour as well or not? Vande Velde will need somebody in the mountains.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Bros
ahhh good ol' Tommy D.
He is going to DNF due to food poisoning or he is going to have a back or knee issue. to make it more appealing to you, I would say he will retire in 1.5 years.
I am taking bets on it.

Dr. Wattini said:
Bros
ahhh good ol' Tommy D.
He is going to DNF due to food poisoning or he is going to have a back or knee issue. to make it more appealing to you, I would say he will retire in 1.5 years.
I am taking bets on it.

I'll take the bet and predict that TD has a decent Giro. If Vaughters included him on the roster then TD has to be in decent shape. GC top 20.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Yes, I'd go with that, too.
Good team support. He knows the Italian way of things.
The ITT should suit him and not too many killer climbs.
Top 20 is easily within reach. Top 10.....ummm...maybe.

Mellow and Bro,
From what I read in your postings, you guys know your stuff.
I am in the opposite side of the coin here guys, TD will not finish the Giro. He has too many mental issues that translate into poor performances and lack of drive. TD was upset ad JV because he felt he was smug over for certain top tier races. He has the pressure to prove himself at 32 years of age.

Dr. Wattini said:
Mellow and Bro,
I am in the opposite side of the coin here guys, TD will not finish the Giro. He has too many mental issues that translate into poor performances and lack of drive. TD was upset ad JV because he felt he was smug over for certain top tier races. He has the pressure to prove himself at 32 years of age.

Kind of why I predicted either a top 25 or a DNF. Actually, I think the lack of hard climbs will hurt him. When he's on, he's a much better climber than TTer.

Dr. Wattini said:
Mellow and Bro,

TD not finishing would not surprise me at all. I think you have a very good chance of being right. I like to root for the underdog, though.

Mellow brings up a good point that a top ten would be a stretch. TD has not raced much in the last couple of years. Even if he is going well, he will probably fade on key stages and in the last week. I doubt he has the race miles to do a top ten. He does seem mentally and constitutionally fragile, as you have pointed out, so that is another knock against him placing in the top ten.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
TD not finishing would not surprise me at all. I think you have a very good chance of being right. I like to root for the underdog, though.

Mellow brings up a good point that a top ten would be a stretch. TD has not raced much in the last couple of years. Even if he is going well, he will probably fade on key stages and in the last week. I doubt he has the race miles to do a top ten. He does seem mentally and constitutionally fragile, as you have pointed out, so that is another knock against him placing in the top ten.
He also doesn't have Ferrari anymore.