• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 50 Cyclists - Personal Scoring System - Born 1970 onwards

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm pretty sure Pogacar has already surpassed most in front of him, including Valverde.
Easy, it's a long way... He started with a bang certainly, and right know he looks like successor of Merckx/Hinault, bit didn't Maertens and Lemond for example looked like that too? In 2013 we all thought that Quintana and Sagan would win bunch of GT's and Monuments, but they won 2 each (Ok, Sagan won Worlds 3x, but still...).
I would say that the likes of Boonen, Cancellara, Contador, Valverde, Nibali, Froome are still ahead of Pogacar.

Easy, it's a long way... He started with a bang certainly, and right know he looks like successor of Merckx/Hinault, bit didn't Maertens and Lemond for example looked like that too? In 2013 we all thought that Quintana and Sagan would win bunch of GT's and Monuments, but they won 2 each (Ok, Sagan won Worlds 3x, but still...).
I would say that the likes of Boonen, Cancellara, Contador, Valverde, Nibali, Froome are still ahead of Pogacar.

I'd say Nibali, Contador and Froome, the others: no. In the end a Tour win is worth so much more than anything else, unless it's a bit of a one-time hazard, achieved by luck, weak contenders and a strong team, which his two wins aren't. In addition two different monuments.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
I'm no fan of the way the PCS ranking system works (19th overall in a GT worth more than a stage win...) but your ranking gives quite a sensible order in my opinion. I always prefer riders who are getting results throughout the season than those who peak for one race and do nothing else. That's what I like about Pog

I'd say Nibali, Contador and Froome, the others: no. In the end a Tour win is worth so much more than anything else, unless it's a bit of a one-time hazard, achieved by luck, weak contenders and a strong team, which his two wins aren't. In addition two different monuments.
I see that you don't have much love for the classics riders, and you're overvaluing the Tour a bit...
I would also rank guys like Sagan and Gilbert ahead of Pog. Also Roglic is at least equal, if not ahead...
That could change quickly though...

Reactions: Koronin
I see that you don't have much love for the classics riders, and you're overvaluing the Tour a bit...
I would also rank guys like Sagan and Gilbert ahead of Pog. Also Roglic is at least equal, if not ahead...
That could change quickly though...
Agreed.

No need to state Pogacar has already surpassed the likes of Gilbert, Boonen and Cancellara.
He'll probably do just that within the next few years but he's not there yet.

Reactions: Blanco
I think quality over quantity should be determining for a rider's rank (except when you have both - a rare occurance). But I also think you need to consider finishing times over one's career as an indication of a rider's overall strength. Once a rough idea is obtained from points accrued from wins and top placings, therefore, then I think you should look at those riders' finishing times in the most prestegious races. While the faster riders may get more wins, but will not have quicker finishing times than the bunch they led, they will nomally have much slower finishing times in the hardest classics or stages in stage races and of course gc. And this should be factored into the ranking system.

Who are these riders?

Of the 28, 25 only has one Big Win.
Andy Schleck, Stijin Devolder and Filippo Ganna are multiple Big Winners.
Andy Schleck finished highest (96th in the final ranking)

SCHLECK Andy
NUYENS Nick
CHAVES Esteban
POELS Wout
PEDERSEN Mads
ARU Fabio
KIRYIENKA Vasil
GONZALEZ Aitor
WESEMANN Steffen
DEVOLDER, Stijin
JUNGELS Bob
ASTARLOA Igor
RUMSAS Raimondas
HESJEDAL Ryder
GANNA Filippo
CASERO Ángel Luis
KNAVEN Servais
PEREIRO Óscar
GRABSCH Bert
ASGREEN Kasper
GUESDON Frédéric
BACKSTEDT Magnus
Maxim Iglinskiy
GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
BOBRIK Vladislav
HAYMAN Mathew
BETTIOL Alberto
VANSUMMEREN Johan

Reactions: Sandisfan
who pompously wants to show his competitors his trophy case and then holds on to his team car at 70 km/h going uphill…

Interesting choice.
Name who is better. The trophy cabinet comment was just funny. And he did one mistake by grabbing a team car yes, but was rightly punished and admit his mistake . Meanwhile everyone else mentioned is grabbing cars and sticky bottle at every race (not to mention all the clinic stuff)

Reactions: Sandisfan

SCHLECK Andy
NUYENS Nick
CHAVES Esteban
POELS Wout
PEDERSEN Mads
ARU Fabio
KIRYIENKA Vasil
GONZALEZ Aitor
WESEMANN Steffen
DEVOLDER, Stijin
JUNGELS Bob
ASTARLOA Igor
RUMSAS Raimondas
HESJEDAL Ryder
GANNA Filippo
CASERO Ángel Luis
KNAVEN Servais
PEREIRO Óscar
GRABSCH Bert
ASGREEN Kasper
GUESDON Frédéric
BACKSTEDT Magnus
Maxim Iglinskiy
GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
BOBRIK Vladislav
HAYMAN Mathew
BETTIOL Alberto
VANSUMMEREN Johan

Thanks! So these are the riders out of the top150 but with a big win?
Where did Oliver Zaugg go? Or what am I missing?

SCHLECK Andy
NUYENS Nick
CHAVES Esteban
POELS Wout
PEDERSEN Mads
ARU Fabio
KIRYIENKA Vasil
GONZALEZ Aitor
WESEMANN Steffen
DEVOLDER, Stijin
JUNGELS Bob
ASTARLOA Igor
RUMSAS Raimondas
HESJEDAL Ryder
GANNA Filippo
CASERO Ángel Luis
KNAVEN Servais
PEREIRO Óscar
GRABSCH Bert
ASGREEN Kasper
GUESDON Frédéric
BACKSTEDT Magnus
Maxim Iglinskiy
GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
BOBRIK Vladislav
HAYMAN Mathew
BETTIOL Alberto
VANSUMMEREN Johan

Ganna is a multiple big winner?

That would mean Cancellara has 13 big wins and is far superior to everybody else of the era.

For me it's mostly interesting as such rankings reveal i am not all that biased in the Roglič thread. They show on how close lets say Roglič and Contador already are. Compared to lets say Pogačar and Froome. But still in such thread as this some people claim that for example Pogačar is already way ahead Contador.

A thought on bias.

For me it's mostly interesting as such rankings reveal i am not all that biased in the Roglič thread. They show on how close lets say Roglič and Contador already are. Compared to lets say Pogačar and Froome. But still in such thread as this some people claim that for example Pogačar is already way ahead Contador.

A thought on bias.
All of them are behind our Vincenzo

• Haha
Reactions: Big Doopie

A thought on bias.
Good one