• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 50 Pro Cyclists Salary (article)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So I came across this article just now and I was wondering how accurate it was because it doesn't seem right to me.

• REBELLIN Davide CCC Sprandi Polkowice Italy 87,720 USD
    BOONEN Tom Etixx – Quick Step Belgium 90,960 USD
    SWIFT Ben Team Sky England 91,320 USD
    THOMAS Geraint Team Sky UK 94,920 USD
    MEERSMAN Gianni Etixx – Quick Step Belgium 94,920 USD
    WELLENS Tim Lotto Soudal Belgium 99,360 USD
    NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas Team Cannondale – Garmin Lithuania 104,760 USD
    CAVENDISH Mark Etixx – Quick Step England 106,320 USD
    MORENO Daniel Team Katusha Spain 107,880 USD
    MATTHEWS Michael Orica GreenEDGE Australia 107,880 USD
    VANMARCKE Sep Team LottoNL-Jumbo Belgium 108,240 USD
    COLBRELLI Sonny Bardiani – CSF Pro Team Italy 108,600 USD
    DENNIS Rohan BMC Racing Team Australia 109,920 USD
    KELDERMAN Wilco Team LottoNL-Jumbo Netherlands 112,800 USD
    URAN Rigoberto Etixx – Quick Step Colombia 114,480 USD
    KITTEL Marcel Team Giant – Alpecin Germany 117,480 USD
    POZZOVIVO Domenico AG2R La Mondiale Italy 117,600 USD
    GREIPEL Andre Lotto Soudal Germany 119,040 USD
    CHAVANEL Sylvain IAM Cycling Franch 119,400 USD
    GALLOPIN Tony Lotto Soudal Franch 123,720 USD
    ARU Fabio Astana Pro Team Italy 126,120 USD
    VAN ASBROECK Tom Team LottoNL-Jumbo Belgium 128,640 USD
    PINOT Thibaut FDJ Franch 128,880 USD
    TERPSTRA Niki Etixx – Quick Step Netherlands 131,640 USD
    CANCELLARA Fabian Trek Factory Racing Switzerland 134,280 USD
    BOUHANNI Nacer Cofidis, Solutions Cre Franch 134,760 USD
    RODRíGUEZ Joaquim Team Katusha Spain 13,680 USD
    MARTIN Daniel Team Cannondale – Garmin UK 140,760 USD
    EVANS Cadel BMC Racing Team Australia 142,080 USD
    MARTIN Tony Etixx – Quick Step Germany 142,440 USD
    MOLLEMA Bauke Trek Factory Racing Netherlands 142,560 USD
    BARDET Romain AG2R La Mondiale Franch 149,760 USD
    MAJKA Rafał Tinkoff – Saxo Poland 150,240 USD
    GERRANS Simon Orica GreenEDGE Australia 153,480 USD
    PERAUD Jean-Christophe AG2R La Mondiale Franch 155,160 USD
    VAN GARDEREN Tejay BMC Racing Team USA 159,480 USD
    QUINTANA Nairo Movistar Team Colombia 161,520 USD
    DéMARE Arnaud FDJ Franch 163,680 USD
    FROOME Christopher Team Sky kenya 165,240 USD
    VAN AVERMAET Greg BMC Racing Team Belgium 165,720 USD
    COSTA Rui Lampre – Merida Portugal 168,360 USD
    NIBALI Vincenzo Astana Pro Team Italy 186,240 USD
    DUMOULIN Tom Team Giant – Alpecin Netherland 186,960 USD
    SAGAN Peter Tinkoff – Saxo Slovakia 198,240 USD
    GILBERT Philippe BMC Racing Team Belgium 201,240 USD
    KWIATKOWSKI Michal Etixx – Quick Step Poland 210,840 USD
    DEGENKOLB John Team Giant – Alpecin Germany 223,680 USD
    KRISTOFF Alexander Team Katusha Norway 251,520 USD
    CONTADOR Alberto Tinkoff – Saxo Spain 256,800 USD
    VALVERDE Alejandro Movistar Team Spain 381,000 USD

http://sportsmaza.com/cycling/pro-cyclists-salary/

---

Why would anyone pay Gilbert, Kwiatkowski, Degenkolb or Kristoff more than Sagan and Nibali? Also Valverde would be incredibly overpaid of this is true. He makes more than double the money than Froome? Yeah right... Tom van Asbroeck makes more than Boonen? No way.

Could have to do with contract dates and how old they are. Imagine a rider signs a four year deal, he could win the Tour three times before his contract runs out and still see no change in his salary until a new deal is made. I'm just speculating as I don't know which of these riders have recently signed new contracts other than those who moved teams. All that could very well be fake.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Valverde wouldn't be overpaid, Froome would just be underpaid.

However I dont believe any of this. Also seems you have found a list from 2016 since Peraud is listed.
Peter Sagan has almost double the amount of google hits as Valverde though. :lol:

I read somewhere that Sagan now makes €6.000.000 a year.

Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:

However I dont believe any of this. Also seems you have found a list from 2016 since Peraud is listed.
Peter Sagan has almost double the amount of google hits as Valverde though. :lol:

Yes, I think Sagan is the most well paid cyclist, then Froome, Contador and Nibali.

That has to be Big Phils BMC contract he signed after bossing the whole year 2011! He received a massive paycheck from BMC because of this.

Edith believes these are 2015 paychecks. Since Cav is still with QS. That means for example Aru's paycheck might still be his original Astana contract with 2014 bonuses. Not the big prolongation he signed in spring 2015.

Re:

Asero831 said:
The list only shows the winnings and not the actual salary

http://celebrityglad.com/pro-cyclist-salaries-and-winnings-amount-2015/
That makes sense, and is kind of more interesting than looking at salary estimates. Riders normally share these bonuses and prizes around the team don't though? If so, I imagine Valverde is a pretty popular guy at the dinner table. He alone would have earnt each team-mate an extra 15k or so.

DFA123 said:
Asero831 said:
The list only shows the winnings and not the actual salary

http://celebrityglad.com/pro-cyclist-salaries-and-winnings-amount-2015/
That makes sense, and is kind of more interesting than looking at salary estimates. Riders normally share these bonuses and prizes around the team don't though? If so, I imagine Valverde is a pretty popular guy at the dinner table. He alone would have earnt each team-mate an extra 15k or so.
If that's the actual winnings from 2015, Froome should be much higher up the ranking. TDF has a $500,000 prize for 1st.

Plus Aru shouldn't be lower than Gilbert and Mollema. His paycheck is lower than the one van Asbroeck receives. That makes only sense if this is still Arus Astana neo-pro contract and the contract van Abroeck signed when LottoNL picked him up after a strong season at the Europe Tour!

El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:

depends how many of that money came from his contract, is normal that someone get enough money from commercial anyway I think that Nibali is also well paid cyclist

Salaries were discussed in the past also in these threads in which variuos specific info per rider was posted:
Salaries in pro cycling
Riders salaries
Elite Cyclist Salary

The list discussed here is quite strange given how detailed it is. The differences against what you would expect can to some extent be explained by the fact that the amounts represent arguably only winnings + bonuses, so if someone is on high base salary and small bonus he would be below someone on low base and high bonus, if the latter had a good year. So anyway, it does not provide full picture, whatever it provides at all. It certainly does not explain what happened to Froome's TdF prize money if list covers 2015 or 2016.

TRENDING THREADS