• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour 2014 Route Rumours

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
pastronef said:
no, that day will be one of the most dangerous and tense stage of the last few years
i just imagine the madness on this forum IF froome looses contact from the front group or has a flat... whoah

will be even more madness than last years wind stage which was awesome

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
vladimir said:
I cannot find any results on Froome doing P-R on CQRanking (and they normally include DNFs) so I am not sure from where Arredondo has this information...

look at this picture;

Chris_Froome.jpg

And the startlist of PR 2008, Froome had number 235

http://ftp.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/apr08/roubaix08/?id=startlist

He abandonded, but no site had seen that;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Thinking out loud. Under "normal" circumstances no Fuente De, no crosswinds, GC contenders wait for and make and lose time only in MTFs and TTs.

Favourites going in Froome, Nibali, Contador, Valverde is there anyone else worth mentioning? Assuming that the others are on their best form from the last 2 years I'd say.
Route includes the one time trial at 54km. I'll run with Froome, 2:00, Nibali, 30sec, Contador/Valverde.
MTF 1 stage 8 1.8km at 10.3% seconds only. Valverde, Nibali, Contador, Froome.
MTF 2 stage 10 5.9km at 8.5% Froome 30 seconds
MTF 3 stage 13 18.2km at 7.3% Froome 1.00 to 1:30
MTF 4 stage 14 12.6km at 6.9% Froome 30 seconds
MTF 5 stage 17 10.2km at 8.3% Froome 1:30
MTF 6 stage 18 13.6km at 7.8% 1:30
So total is about 7 minutes. Of course it wouldn't be 7 minutes as if Froome has 2 minutes after stage 13 I suspect he'd attempt to cruise and only take seconds here and there until the TT.
I know I have over simplified, but have I over or underestimated? If someone was to beat Froome, do you think it is more likely to be one of the three mentioned or Oscar Pereiro, who is Oscar Pereiro in 2014? Rui Costa perhaps?

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Although a long one, the tt shouldn't provide huge gaps on the given profile and probably twisty and narrow roads. Very nice.
And overall a very nice route. Offers plenty of opportunities.

I was already impressed with the route, but I had hoped for a tiny bit more into Oyonnax (harder beginning) and Saint-Etienne (harder finale).

But I am nitpicking; it is a great route. Realistically, if they had improved the stage to Hautacam, I would be over the moon.

As said above, up to the riders.

Very happy with that route, best one in years. Also not a totally flat TT is good too although only 1 little hill.

Stage 2 in Yorkshire will be brutal with some great little climbs, having the Jenkin Road climb with just 5km's to go could force some nice little gaps with the last 80k's full of tests.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Very solid route.. Would have replaced one MTF or two with downhill arrivals (well at least we get one in Bagnère de Luchon, as opposed to none in some other GTs...), but overall a very good route that could prove very taxing to controle. The 3 days in the Vosges are awesome and the stages in Nancy, Oyonnax, St Etienne and even Bergerac should have enjoy the good ole classic breakaway versus Peloton suspens.