• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour 2018 stage 21: Houilles - Paris 116 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Lequack said:
So both teams that left their sprinters home as punishment, meaning Mitchelton Scott with Ewan and Cofidis with Bouhanni, they didn't get anything out of this Tour. I wonder if they think it was worth it?
I can understand leaving the nutcase Bouhanni at home, but I will never understand why they didn't select Ewan. What a horrbile decision.
Are you suggesting Yates 29th spot in GC wasn't absolutely worth it?

Ewan hardly did himself any favours with his antics in the Ride Surrey race today - Got into the break against team orders, had to be convinced to go back to the peleton, then sulked and quit the race after 80km.

yaco said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Lequack said:
So both teams that left their sprinters home as punishment, meaning Mitchelton Scott with Ewan and Cofidis with Bouhanni, they didn't get anything out of this Tour. I wonder if they think it was worth it?
I can understand leaving the nutcase Bouhanni at home, but I will never understand why they didn't select Ewan. What a horrbile decision.

Ewan hardly did himself any favours with his antics in the Ride Surrey race today - Got into the break against team orders, had to be convinced to go back to the peleton, then sulked and quit the race after 80km.
That has literally zero relevance to why he was selected for TdF or not

Chapeau Geraint! Great to see someone persevere the way he did. He believed in himself when no one else gave him much of a chance. And then he found a way to take advantage of all the dominoes falling into place. To cap it off, genuinely seemed to have a hard time acquainting himself with what he managed to pull off. Can't help but clap.

Something not altogether dissimilar could be said about Kristoff. Great Ride!

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Lequack said:

If anything it’s likely a result of him not being selected for the Tour. The team screwed him over. Plus he must be well aware that if something hadn’t gone wrong with Chaves that they were probably going to leave him without a GT in his legs for two years by the time of his next opportunity, a disaster for a young rider’s development. It seems unlikely that there could be any trust left in that relationship.

I will be interested to see where he goes next year and who MS bring in to replace him. It would be an interesting sell to a sprinter - you will get a lot of opportunities, but what those opportunities are will be decided as a side effect of their GC plans.

Re:

rlntlssly said:
You have to wonder what Bora were doing all that work for, if Sagan wasn't even going to sprint.

My guess:
They were faking everyone out to let Oss attack. They are the sprint team with big horsepower. Other sprinters teams are happy to defer to them when it comes to controlling the front, at least since Gaviria dnfed. So they held it together to set up a late attack while letting everyone else think they were setting up a sprint. Then Oss goes, they slow up and other teams aren’t expecting to chase. That gives Oss a chance to build a lead. Then it turns out Lampaerts was stronger and their tactic in fact gave him a real chance by accident.

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Lequack said:

Well, since it's all about Ewan hypothetically riding the Tour, if he'd won Ride Surrey, his supporters could at least have said "imagine if he'd been on the Champs Elysees today." But since he climbed off after 2 hours, the opposite argument ("no way he would've sprinted better/lasted longer in the Tour than Gaviria") would tend to hold more water.

Re:

carton said:
Chapeau Geraint! Great to see someone persevere the way he did. He believed in himself when no one else gave him much of a chance. And then he found a way to take advantage of all the dominoes falling into place. To cap it off, genuinely seemed to have a hard time acquainting himself with what he managed to pull off. Can't help but clap.

Something not altogether dissimilar could be said about Kristoff. Great Ride!

Pleased to see a new winner and a deserving one. Great performance.

Ewan needs to look to Viviani for inspiration. After being left off Sky's 2017 Giro team he put his head down and won 9 races. MS acceded to Ewan's request to ride the Vuelta subject to form.

Ackermann should be the number one target as how does he ride a GT behind Sagan and
MS can guarantee him one GT each year because no team can provide full GC support for each

Re:

yaco said:
Ackermann should be the number one target as how does he ride a GT behind Sagan and
MS can guarantee him one GT each year because no team can provide full GC support for each

Why would Ackes leave a team that made him what he has become, that provides him with the best support in every race he enters, that offers him to ride with people he trusts (Schwarzmann especially), that enables him to develop himself step by step, that has always given him a lot of trust? Why would he do that to join a team where he has no guarantee whatsoever, where the last sprinter has been completely disrespected, where he will never have the consideration he has currently at Bora?
While Ackermann would indeed make a lot of sense for Mitchelton, the same can't be said in the other way

Beobachter said:
yaco said:

Why would Ackes leave a team that made him what he has become, that provides him with the best support in every race he enters, that offers him to ride with people he trusts (Schwarzmann especially), that enables him to develop himself step by step, that has always given him a lot of trust? Why would he do that to join a team where he has no guarantee whatsoever, where the last sprinter has been completely disrespected, where he will never have the consideration he has currently at Bora?
While Ackermann would indeed make a lot of sense for Mitchelton, the same can't be said in the other way

When does Ackermann ride a GT - Sagan is locked in every year for the TDF while Bennett picks up the scraps at the Giro and the Vuelta - He needs a leadership role at a GT in the next two years and that's unlikely to occur in the next two years - You have no idea about Ewan and Mitchelton Scott - Ewan has been a team leader from his first ride as a stagiare and in fact if he rides the Vuelta would have ridden a GT in each year including his his neo-pro year.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Ewan was **** on by MS for no reason at all this year. Fact.

I can understand why sprinters wouldn't go ride for that 'GC' team which still has a hard time placing riders in top-10.

Yeah Michelton have nothing to gain except some possible stage wins..........after the Tour they need something. No reason Yates and Ewan can't ride the Vuelta.

yaco said:
Beobachter said:
yaco said:

When does Ackermann ride a GT - Sagan is locked in every year for the TDF while Bennett picks up the scraps at the Giro and the Vuelta - He needs a leadership role at a GT in the next two years and that's unlikely to occur in the next two years - You have no idea about Ewan and Mitchelton Scott - Ewan has been a team leader from his first ride as a stagiare and in fact if he rides the Vuelta would have ridden a GT in each year including his his neo-pro year.

That's not the point about Ewan. Ewan which is Australian and one of the most promising young sprinters out there fulfilled the expectations of his team, an Australian team. But though it apparently wasn't enough to be respected and get a decent treatment for what he brought to the team. Why would a German guy with no link with the team expect to get a better treatment? You seem to consider that what all matters is whether the sprinter races a GT or does not. You're wrong if you do. Being sent to race on a GT is only a little part of a much bigger whole, which is the relationship between a rider and his team. MS showed to everyone they have a bad relationship with the guy they had every reason to cherish while Bora and Ackes have (at least so far) a very good relationship. Ackes is in the best environment he can get at Bora, so no reason to leave.

About Bora, there are three sprinters and... three GTs. Seems to me like it's just perfect ;)
Next year (if Ackes re-signs with Bora ;) ) could see Bennett for the Giro, Sagan for the Tour and Ackes for the Vuelta, it fits perfectly. So, no, it's not "unlikely to occur" to see Ackermann in a leadership in the next two years, since it's likely it happens next year :lol:
For 2019, Sagan, Bennett and Ackermann can perfectly live together. For 2020, we'll see, but that's not tomorrow, the situation will depend on the evolution of the three riders, so we have time before that ;)

TRENDING THREADS