Tour de France 2011 Stage 7: Le Mans - Châteauroux 218 km

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 30, 2009
1,735
0
0
Horner doesnt know 'where he is or what happened' but finished the stage?:eek:

That is professional road racing.

I am not a particularly big fan of his (mainly cos he rides for Retirement Shack) but I have to respect and give props to that mentality :D

Sounds like SA has missed out on a possible downhill MTB champ :rolleyes:
 
Winterfold said:
Horner doesnt know 'where he is or what happened' but finished the stage?:eek:

That is professional road racing.

I am not a particularly big fan of his (mainly cos he rides for Retirement Shack) but I have to respect and give props to that mentality :D
Sounds like Mosquera in the '09 Vuelta, I think the stage to Ávila. The one where Gesink got the hole in his leg that caused him to get dropped en route to La Granja. Mosquera apparently had no idea where he was or why he was dressed like he was, changed his helmet in the group without knowing why, and it all got sorted out much later.
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
Personal take on it:

I like: Leipheimer and Horner losing time and not being part of the GC battle anymore

I don't like: how it happened.
Sad thing is it needed to happen. We all saw last year what happened with Lance. Kloeden never got in form for a high GC cause he was meant to lug Lance around. Lance crashed. Team has no leader. Levi is the assumed leader. He chokes and then Horner who lost minutes waiting for Lance is told to go ahead. He leapfrogs Levi and Kloeden. Ultimately proving that the earlier stages were futile and mostly pointless.

This year. Crash takes three of the supposed team leaders out before a single mountain stage. Meaning Bruyneel doesn't get to make ad-hoc leadership decisions mid stage in the damn mountains potentially chosing a guy for the role who later doesn't have the legs. Course did his job for him with some unplanned hiccups. Sad thing is the biggest helpers are hurt most or out. Good news is the strongest and safest looking guy is still really high up on GC. Plus he isn't prehistoric, just neolithic in age, another bonus.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
Personal take on it:

I like: Leipheimer and Horner losing time and not being part of the GC battle anymore

I don't like: how it happened.
What's wrong with Horner?
 
Nov 17, 2009
2,388
0
0
theyoungest said:
What's wrong with Horner?
Many started disliking Horner just because he started riding for Bruyneel. Others disliked his annoyance at being left off the 2009 Tour squad.

Oddly enough, Kloden didn't get the same sort of treatment for joining Lance's team.

I think Horner is a pretty cool guy to be honest. One of the most likeable guys I've heard talk and a great interview.
 
Galic Ho said:
*** happens. Some people deal with it. Life is both fair and unfair. Depends on your perception, perspective and mental state at any given time. As Carlos Sastre said the other day, he didn't understand the time rulings on day 1. Lots of guys here didn't like it that stage 1 was deemed a sprint stage hence the 3km safety rule. Levi didn't hop on his bike and ride. He soft pedalled. AC and others flogged themselves. Realistically without the rule Levi would have lost two minutes. Same with Hesjedal, he got a time reduction that CVV and Danielson didn't. Anyone found out why yet? Both guys have now lost time. Some thinks that is the world balancing itself out. Cause and effect.

You do something, a cost is attributed. Shirk the cost one day, pay it back later. Karma, reaping what you sow. It's been round since before the pyramids and accepted by numerous world cultures. I'm guessing your short time on earth trumps thousands of years of civilization? Oh well...your opinion, kudos to you, but that outlook will leave you disappointed.

At the end of the day, if the peloton is blocked on the road there is little on can do. Only 10% of riders can be at the front and relatively safe. Someone has to be at the back or in the middle. It's a physical fact. When it gets windy *** can happen. It has been happening all week. The evidence is that some guys go down far too often...that's revealing in itself. Shack have had it happen left right and centre, except for the guy I thought would be on form. Ask yourself why that is. It's attitude, one that I also remarked Wigans can transfer to the Vuelta. Keep your momentum going. Or you can sit back and let others do the work. Catching on yet? It's as I said, about looking at all the angles...the whole picture.
That's not the world balancing out. That's coincidence.

Karma, Christianity, Islam... It all comes down to the same. Make a person believe that if they act bad they will be punished.
I'm happy you believe it because that means you will try to be a nice person else karma will come and get you!
The idea behind faith is pretty much always good. (Not always performed well by believers though:) )

I don't mean to offend anyone btw. People should believe what they want and if they feel good about it then I'm certainly not going to stop you.
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not. I don't know and I(just like everyone else) will never know, but this is how I feel about it.

I don't like Leipheimer, but I still don't like it he lost time because of a fall. It would've been a lot better if he got dropped on the Tourmalet. I don't like it that any rider lost time because of a fall. I don't like it that riders have to give up because they fell. I always feel sympathy for those riders, wether I like them or not.

This is cycling though and unfortunately falling is part of it.
 
theyoungest said:
What's wrong with Horner?
I don't mind Horner as a rider; I don't like Horner as a person (at least the public face of him). The whining of the injustice of not going to the '09 Tour since Alberto demanded he got to pick one loyal domestique (in this case Paulinho) and the team management demanded one Kazakh (in this case Muravyev), the way his attitudes to people changes depending on whether they're American or not, the way he made some veiled comments about particular people only to retract them completely when offered a contract with said people, the way he has suddenly gone from being a pretty good mountain domestique to one of the best climbers in the world at nearly 40...

Nah, not sold on him.

But, he has had bad enough luck before (the one time he's come into a GT with such a free role before was the '09 Vuelta, when he crashed out on stage 4), and I don't wish crashes on people. Glad he's out of the GC mix, not glad he crashed.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
I don't mind Horner as a rider; I don't like Horner as a person (at least the public face of him). The whining of the injustice of not going to the '09 Tour since Alberto demanded he got to pick one loyal domestique (in this case Paulinho) and the team management demanded one Kazakh (in this case Muravyev), the way his attitudes to people changes depending on whether they're American or not, the way he made some veiled comments about particular people only to retract them completely when offered a contract with said people, the way he has suddenly gone from being a pretty good mountain domestique to one of the best climbers in the world at nearly 40...

Nah, not sold on him.

But, he has had bad enough luck before (the one time he's come into a GT with such a free role before was the '09 Vuelta, when he crashed out on stage 4), and I don't wish crashes on people. Glad he's out of the GC mix, not glad he crashed.
luckyboy said:
Yeah, most of what LS just said.

Also when he said the only rider who can outclimb him is Contador after he won that training race the other month.
^^that no doubt
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,596
0
0
Am so gutted about Wiggins. And also about Horner and Levi. I just hate to lose GC-contenders before the actual action has even started. It just leaves you with alot of what-could-have-been thoughts. I liked the idea of RS having 4 possible captains that could spice things up. Now there is just Klödi left.

Btw: with all these crashes among the GC-contenders its just amazin that the Schlecks havent been affected. Usually Frankie-boy is the first one to go down.
 
luckyboy said:
Yeah, most of what LS just said.

Also when he said the only rider who can outclimb him is Contador after he won that training race the other month.
Actually I always kinda like those statements. He knows it's a bold statement, but makes it anyways. It's one of the reasons I wanted to see him in the mountains this year. We could either laugh at him or he could suprise us.
 
Cimber said:
Btw: with all these crashes among the GC-contenders its just amazin that the Schlecks havent been affected. Usually Frankie-boy is the first one to go down.
That’s because they’ve been riding at the front. You don’t crash ever if you ride at the front. In fact its impossible to crash if riding at the front. Everyone should ride at the front. All 200 riders should ride at the front.
 
Nov 17, 2009
2,388
0
0
Ah well. Horner is one of the few riders I'm something more then indifferent on. I like his personality and how he seems to mostly be smiling and enjoying himself on the bike.

I don't know how bad he's banged up... but he's far enough back and a good enough climber that I wonder if he'll have a go at the mountains jersey.
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,596
0
0
thehog said:
That’s because they’ve been riding at the front. You don’t crash ever if you ride at the front. In fact its impossible to crash if riding at the front. Everyone should ride at the front. All 200 riders should ride at the front.
Thats actually what causes alot of crashes: 200 guys wanting to ride at the front.

Oh and Frankie can crash anywhere on his own. Doesnt matter if he is in the front, in the back, along og sitting in his favorite chair :cool:
 
Cimber said:
Thats actually what causes alot of crashes: 200 guys wanting to ride at the front.

Oh and Frankie can crash anywhere on his own. Doesnt matter if he is in the front, in the back, along og sitting in his favorite chair :cool:
thehog was just mocking the situation :p

man if one of the schlecks crashs i hope its andy. frankie is actually a very likable guy.
 
Jul 28, 2010
2,274
0
0
Parrulo said:
thehog was just mocking the situation :p

man if one of the schlecks crashs i hope its andy. frankie is actually a very likable guy.
How about we hope that no one crashes?
 
kurtinsc said:
Ah well. Horner is one of the few riders I'm something more then indifferent on. I like his personality and how he seems to mostly be smiling and enjoying himself on the bike.

I don't know how bad he's banged up... but he's far enough back and a good enough climber that I wonder if he'll have a go at the mountains jersey.
If he’d spent more time riding in Europe this year and not hiding away in the US he might have learnt some better bike handling techniques to ride in such large peloton. Schoolboy error. Training is never a substitute for good racing.
 
May 26, 2009
3,687
1
0
c&cfan said:
NO.

10charac
Ok... I concede defeat.

I admit hereby that is quite frankly impossible that Cav will be surpassed by a competitor or fade away, get into an accident or run into a scandal. The idea itself is insulting and should be punished by a ban (as has already nicely been called for).

Really, how could I be so crazy to look at facts? How dare I look at facts? How dare I think a sprinter is also calculated by worlds or point jersey.

I humbly apologize for being somewhat cautious about using a crystal globe.

As Jan proved when he won his first tour, predictions like these always come through. A cyclists career is a straight line up!
 
Jul 28, 2010
2,274
0
0
Parrulo said:
what you learn how to read? i say IF one of them crashs let him be andy because i like frank. is it that hard to see?
But you're still picking and choosing who you would rather crash due solely to your dislike of one rider and like of another.

If I said, "if someone's going to crash I hope it's Machado"...you'd be very unhappy and rightly so. But by using your logic, I could say "if someone crashes" and be fine, since I didn't say "I want Machado to crash".

(BTW, I like Machado :p)
 
Aug 2, 2010
1,502
0
0
Franklin said:
Ok... I concede defeat.

I admit hereby that is quite frankly impossible that Cav will be surpassed by a competitor or fade away, get into an accident or run into a scandal. The idea itself is insulting and should be punished by a ban (as has already nicely been called for).

Really, how could I be so crazy to look at facts? How dare I look at facts? How dare I think a sprinter is also calculated by worlds or point jersey.

I humbly apologize for being somewhat cautious about using a crystal globe.

As Jan proved when he won his first tour, predictions like these always come through. A cyclists career is a straight line up!
i guess you are slow.. ok. an example.

wining 13 gt stages at the same GT in 1973 or so is different than doing it now.

the importance of palmares is very relative.

even you can see it, right?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS