• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2011 Stage 7: Le Mans - Châteauroux 218 km

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
Cav still has some way to go to match the 2 great Italians, in terms of palmares, and therefore, all time status. In terms of sheer speed, acceleration and dominance though, his 2 Champs Elysees wins and his Bordeaux win last year were a new high in sprinting.

Yeah, but you have to remember that the two Italians were somewhat indulged by the Giro, which traditionally sets a course to suit the best Italians riders. For example, when Petacchi was in his pomp in 2004, there were 12 stages that ended in a bunch sprint with only Robbie McEwen and Fred Rodriguez as competition (Ale-Jet won 9). Of Cipo's 57 wins, 42 were in the Giro. Those two had a lot fish in a lot of barrels ready for shooting.

I think they're both great sprinters, but pure stats don't really tell the whole story. The Tour is were all the sprinters come to play.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
another eventful pancake stage!:eek:

haven't watched the stage yet. just read through the forum and looked at results.

poor wiggle. and all those injured.

meh, no surprise cavendish won. yeah, i'm a little disappointed that someone else didn't win but have to give credit to cav and HTC.
thor still wearing yellow.

the best news:
gesink in white!
evans, conatdor and schlecks stayed safe. let the battle begin! :p

lilyprotector said:
i just read that poor chris horner was unconscious after the crash. he came in last today. johan said it's unlikely he'll be able to start tomorrow. such a bummer.
really sad.. I had such great hopes for some good performance by Horner when the Tour reach the mountains. I can only pray the news was exaggerated and he will be around till the end. I know he lost his chances for GC now but if he is good to continue , he will have a chance at alpes d'huez

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
oh. that is a sad sight! bradley sitting in the ditch :(

it's unfortunate about horner. he's old and for that reason, i feel bad. not a big horner/ levi fan but...geez, janez brajkovic went out too.

so, andreas kloden is left and he's well placed. i liked watching him climb in 2009 TDF....i think. honestly, he doesn't reach out and grab me but he's better than "bottle" lol... (laughing at forum nickname)

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Dedelou said:
really sad.. I had such great hopes for some good performance by Horner when the Tour reach the mountains. I can only pray the news was exaggerated and he will be around till the end. I know he lost his chances for GC now but if he is good to continue , he will have a chance at alpes d'huez

the latest news i've been able to find from afp says he broke his nose and suffered a concussion. even more alarming, "Horner remained foggy about his surroundings and the events of the day several hours after the stage ended. His situation will be evaluated after he rests overnight."

i'm kind of shocked they're still considering letting him race given the brain fog. but if he can get back in, i hope he does a great job for klodi and gets a little mountain glory for himself.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Gingerale said:
oh. that is a sad sight! bradley sitting in the ditch :(

it's unfortunate about horner. he's old and for that reason, i feel bad. not a big horner/ levi fan but...geez, janez brajkovic went out too.

so, andreas kloden is left and he's well placed. i liked watching him climb in 2009 TDF....i think. honestly, he doesn't reach out and grab me but he's better than "bottle" lol... (laughing at forum nickname)
Why do they call him bottle??:confused:

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
lilyprotector said:
the latest news i've been able to find from afp says he broke his nose and suffered a concussion. even more alarming, "Horner remained foggy about his surroundings and the events of the day several hours after the stage ended. His situation will be evaluated after he rests overnight."

i'm kind of shocked they're still considering letting him race given the brain fog. but if he can get back in, i hope he does a great job for klodi and gets a little mountain glory for himself.

If he has concussion, he should DNS tomorrow.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Sad that the GC is impacted by crashes. So many contenders losing time. As other have stated, hope it adds to attacks in the mountains!

P and P continue to amaze me at how biased they are. When AC crashes, falls, is delayed, or changes a bike, it is reported by P and P that he has a weak team, is lacking form or making errors by not being in front. When Radio shack GC riders crash it is lady luck leaving them or taking a runner. I have yet to hear them reprimanded by P and P for their form, location or team strength.

After bringing up Chain gate in commentary yesterday and how AC didn't wait for Andy. Paul praised LeOpard Trek for pushing at the front at 17.2 kilometers to go when group 2 was trying to make it back. "They're here trying to make sure guys like Levi and Thomas don't come back into the front end of the race. These are the days when you can open up time gaps on men you want to get rid of before the mountains." Will P and P say the same if Andy falls or drops a chain and AC, Samu or Basso push the lead?

Hope all who were injured get well!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
lilyprotector said:

He's ridden in a "fog" before but ususally he controlled the level of haze and he wasn't racing. Sorry to hear about the injuries as he deserved a shot at actually being a protected rider instead of a domestique for a bloated ego.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
rides like a girl said:
Sad that the GC is impacted by crashes. So many contenders losing time. As other have stated, hope it adds to attacks in the mountains!

P and P continue to amaze me at how biased they are. When AC crashes, falls, is delayed, or changes a bike, it is reported by P and P that he has a weak team, is lacking form or making errors by not being in front. When Radio shack GC riders crash it is lady luck leaving them or taking a runner. I have yet to hear them reprimanded by P and P for their form, location or team strength.

After bringing up Chain gate in commentary yesterday and how AC didn't wait for Andy. Paul praised LeOpard Trek for pushing at the front at 17.2 kilometers to go when group 2 was trying to make it back. "They're here trying to make sure guys like Levi and Thomas don't come back into the front end of the race. These are the days when you can open up time gaps on men you want to get rid of before the mountains." Will P and P say the same if Andy falls or drops a chain and AC, Samu or Basso push the lead?

Hope all who were injured get well!

i was just listening to all that on my recording of VS :D

as for your question what will P and P say? i have no idea, really. i was taking what they said about leopard on front driving as sort of neutral.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
H2OUUP2 said:
Why do they call him bottle??:confused:

a poster here during tour de suisse answered that question. i wasn't posting yet.

it had to do with LA just pointing to levi and saying "bottle," if i recall. it was funny.

some one here please tell it. i could be wrong. :eek:

i was unhappy levi won TdS because i wanted cunego to win. cunego's attack on stage 3 TdS was great and imo, levi sat on everyone's wheel during the climbing. it comes down to riding style. levi seems nice enough. i don't like his riding style. but he won - can't fault him for riding a better time trial than cunego.

Gingerale said:
a poster here during tour de suisse answered that question. i wasn't posting yet.

it had to do with LA just pointing to levi and saying "bottle," if i recall. it was funny.

some one here please tell it. i could be wrong. :eek:

i was unhappy levi won TdS because i wanted cunego to win. cunego's attack on stage 3 TdS was great and imo, levi sat on everyone's wheel during the climbing. it comes down to riding style. levi seems nice enough. i don't like his riding style. but he won - can't fault him for riding a better time trial than cunego.

on a race lance wanted a bottle of water and wanted to send some1 to get him so he pointed to levi and was supposed to say "levi could you please go get a bottle of water?" but he didn't remember levi's name so he instead just pointed to levi and said "bottle"

thats where the name came from. as for levi he can burn in hell for stealing that TdS from il principe <_< (obvious hyperbole is obvious)

H2OUUP2 said:
:eek: I know Phil, Paul, and Bob are bad, but that's a little far.

You are correct, I was to harsh and reactionary, I'll rephrase. Personally I dislike P&Ps blatant bias for some teams and riders and have for many years, long before AC ever showed up. And it really irks me that the American people who only watch 1 race all year, the TdF, believe everything they say.....

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
You are correct, I was to harsh and reactionary, I'll rephrase. Personally I dislike P&Ps blatant bias for some teams and riders and have for many years, long before AC ever showed up. And it really irks me that the American people who only watch 1 race all year, the TdF, believe everything they say.....

wait.. :)

maybe i'm in the minority, i don't know. but as an american who until 2010 vuelta d espana, only watched TDF, i have not believed all of what phil, paul, and particularly bob roll say. have to admit 2009 was the 1st time watching an entire TDF and had only VS for coverage. as for that, contador's performance on many levels outweighed anything commentators said.

when i get a chance, i livestream cycling from eurosport in english or whatever language.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
on a race lance wanted a bottle of water and wanted to send some1 to get him so he pointed to levi and was supposed to say "levi could you please go get a bottle of water?" but he didn't remember levi's name so he instead just pointed to levi and said "bottle"

thats where the name came from. as for levi he can burn in hell for stealing that TdS from il principe <_< (obvious hyperbole is obvious)

lol...exactly!

actually, i'm still in denial. il principe won. the end.

and i'm missing peter sagan at TDF :p

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Damn crashes and the random nature of it all. Sad for Wiggins, Horner and the others. I was looking forward to seeing what they had. Also sad for Horner as that was for him a rare opportunity in a free role in a TdF.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Je ne sais quoi said:
Damn crashes and the random nature of it all. Sad for Wiggins, Horner and the others. I was looking forward to seeing what they had. Also sad for Horner as that was for him a rare opportunity in a free role in a TdF.

Yes. A pity considering the good form they both had. I was looking forward to the GC battle with those guys and the other team leaders.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:

LOL!!! That's awesome!! He is now bottle to me to. Thanks.

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I felt especially sad for Brad. Can't say I am overly fond of him but he didn't deserve that. He looked really good for a top 5 and possibly a podium. People have to remember that it is Brad's ambition. Imagine having that taken away from you in a handful of seconds...:(

EDIT: Levi had some intersting words to say on what happened after he crashed
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/videoplay/867/tdf-latest/495777/levi-leipheimer-post-stage-7

What did Levi say, videos geoblocked

Gingerale said:
wait.. :)

maybe i'm in the minority, i don't know. but as an american who until 2010 vuelta d espana, only watched TDF, i have not believed all of what phil, paul, and particularly bob roll say. have to admit 2009 was the 1st time watching an entire TDF and had only VS for coverage. as for that, contador's performance on many levels outweighed anything commentators said.

when i get a chance, i livestream cycling from eurosport in english or whatever language.

Good for you :) At least I won't have to argue with you abour P&Ps errors :)

TRENDING THREADS