• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2011 Stage 9: Issoire - Saint-Flour 208 km

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
tdf2011_9sm_600.jpg

tdf2011_9sp_600.jpg

PROFILKMSVIGNETTE.gif

etape_9.gif

The conditions improve. The weather is variable with a risk of scattered rain. In the morning the few clouds, the residues of yesterday, are still present. Some drops are possible. Bright periods appear at the end of morning then cumuluses develop. They give scattered showers. Winds : Low wind, variable 10kph most of time north-east. Temperatures : Minimal: 10 to 12°C 20°C for the departure, 15°C on passes, 21°C for the arrival. Maximal: 20 to 22°C

General classification after stage 8
1 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Team Garmin-Cervelo 33:06:28
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:01
3 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:00:04
4 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Team RadioShack 0:00:10
5 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Leopard Trek 0:00:12
6 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek
7 Tony Martin (Ger) HTC-Highroad 0:00:13
8 Peter Velits (Svk) HTC-Highroad
9 David Millar (GBr) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:00:19
10 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:00:30
11 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Pro Team Astana 0:00:32
12 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:00:39
13 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:01:03
14 Nicolas Roche (Irl) AG2R La Mondiale 0:01:12
15 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD
16 Kevin De Weert (Bel) Quickstep Cycling Team 0:01:22
17 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank Cycling Team 0:01:28
18 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:29
19 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar
20 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Saxo Bank Sungard 0:01:42

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Garmin should work, depending on who's in the break. It's also a good stage for Thor. Sky should work for EBH. And Gilbert is very keen on those points, Cavendish might be dropped at some point.

There is a fair amount of points availble for the Polka dot jersey, and tis a good breakaway stage, so i expect to see J. Pineau, Moncoutie in a break for that, and for a stage victory I could easily see LL. Sanchez, Ignatiev, A Movistar rider, a FDJ rider (Casar probably).

IF anyone is going to chase to catch the breakaway I imagine sky for EBH, Omega for Gilbert, and depending on how he recovers, Astana for Vino. on 2 seperate occasion I have seen him win the stage after a stage he made an effort to win to be just short or caught just before the line in Grand Tours (06 Vuelta, lost to Valverde, then next stage attack 1 km to go on an uphill sprinters finish and Last year Mende, followed by Revel) Not sure since today was a gigantic effort.

Also maybe Europcar will chase for Voeckler if he doesn't make the break.

Last time they finish in St. Flour (UNless they been there more recently) Virenque won in 2004 from an all day breakaway out for the mountain points.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Carl0880 said:
There is a fair amount of points availble for the Polka dot jersey, and tis a good breakaway stage, so i expect to see J. Pineau, Moncoutie in a break for that, and for a stage victory I could easily see LL. Sanchez, Ignatiev, A Movistar rider, a FDJ rider (Casar probably).

Which is exactly why I expect to see Hoogerland in the breakaway. He wants 'his' jersey back!:p

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
The finish is hard. 7.5 % average if I'm reading the profile correctly and it even ramps up in the last third. Should be one for Gilbert. Maybe Evans or Contador or a similar rider can steal it if Gilbert is spent after the late intermediate sprint. Also good chances for a break, though they'll need some time going into the last km.

Hushovd will need to do another phenomenal ride to keep his jersey.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully some decent riders in a break and less of the useless Cofidis riders, and driving it so the chase disintegrates.

I realise this is unlikely.

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
i hope that gilbert takes it and none of the breakaway riders win it! i don't want to see that riders winning like that today i was so disappointed when rui costa won!

the tour climbs look so silly when compared to the giro ones its almost funny. when will the tour ever use a climb with over 10% of average gradient?

dabaideschbi said:
i hope that gilbert takes it and none of the breakaway riders win it! i don't want to see that riders winning like that today i was so disappointed when rui costa won!

why don't you like when the guys from breakaways win? thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard and i listen to myself everyday . . .

TRENDING THREADS