• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2011 Stage 9: Issoire - Saint-Flour 208 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
BMC should also try to get someone in the break so they don't have to ride on the front all day. Although if all the main GC teams are represented in the break that tactic would be neutralised.

kjetilraknerud said:
I'd agree if they climbs came 50 kms later. Of course BMC could try to drop him 50 kms from the finish, but they won't. Why should they? I think he'll be fine.

He might be dropped without anyone intentionally trying to drop him, though. I'm very surprised at his tenacity this far, and I NEVER thought he'd still be in yellow today, but he must tire sooner or later. If he's still there tomorrow. he might as well win the stage..

Fight.The.Power said:
Nice one just another guy . A better preview than most of the broadcasters!
+1. Huge thanks to you J-S-G for putting the intro like Hors d'oeuvres on the table so we can start our daily delirium of prognostications.
0kay.. Fantasy time : all these years, really, AC was secretly dreaming of beating Virenque's record of polka dots jerseys. So now that his quest for at least 8 TDF, 3 giros, 3 vueltas is on the way and practically achieved. He has decided to make tomorrow the first day of that most envied title search and what better place than stage 9 to start the campaign .

just some guy said:
Col-du-Perthus_profile.jpg

Holy crap. That's nasty. :eek:

That would almost be a categorized climb at the Giro.

Mellow Velo said:
I just hope this stage doesn't mirror the 2004 effort. Was supposed to shake up the GC, but all it did was wake up Mr Polka Dot Virenque.
Quite possibly a lot of the climbing will be over by the time anyone of note becomes interested in racing.

The 2008 stage over the same terrain (they passed through Saint-Flour and climbed Pas de Peyrol on the way to Aurillac) was terrific though. Hopefully the riders will surprise us and deliver something similar. Perhaps Luis León Sánchez will feel inspired and attack for sentimental reasons?

These stages have all been similar, it will be the same bunch from the peloton contesting vs. some predictable teams in the break. That being said, only the unpredictability of the finish is predictable, really. Not that that is a bad thing. I am loving these rolling, punching stages in the first week

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I don't anticipate much of a shake-up. I think OPL see another opportunity for Gilbert, but a breakaway could go.

I'd say one Euskaltel, Hoogerland, one Saur, one Europcar, and Carlos Barredo go in the break tomorrow.

I like your list. Would just add a Movistar to it.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I don't anticipate much of a shake-up. I think OPL see another opportunity for Gilbert, but a breakaway could go.

I'd say one Euskaltel, Hoogerland, one Saur, one Europcar, and Carlos Barredo go in the break tomorrow.
And a Sky rider, they've got nothing to lose now.

Winterfold said:
While the Giro has climbs like that and the Tour doesn't then the two races are different and reflect their national character.

I think the thing is that there are many very, very difficult climbs that the Tour could use but doesn't - Mont du Chat, Col du Grand-Colombier, Collet d'Allevard, Errozate and so on.

It's not about trying to be the Giro, it's about trying to put on the best possible Tour de France. The Tourmalet, Aspin, Alpe etc are iconic, but so is the Ventoux, and unlike those others we don't do it practically every year. Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Anyone think TJVG wants to/is capable of/has the freedom to go in the break again to get mountain points?

He's not an elite climber yet, but he probably capable of hanging with a reduced peloton that gets down to about 30 riders on the bigger climbs. He'll be able to get some points from the main field even on the bigger mountain stages and will be allowed in breaks because he's not really that much of a threat for any other jersey.

Who else (besides Hoogerland) is targeting the polka dots? Could Kreuziger do that or is he too beat up? Mollema? Gadret? I imagine Egoi Martinez will have his traditional attempt as well.

I don't think anybody who's seriously targeting KoM will be in the break on this stage. They'll be saving their efforts for later stages rather than fighting (for relatively few points) with guys who are only interested in wearing the polka dots for a few days. For that reason, I hope David Moncoutie isn't in the break .

Cunego to win, EBH second. A break of 15 will go and Garmin should work to pull it back. Could TJVG go fight for his KOM jersey because he might be able to if surviving and going for it in this stage. Casar will also fight for it. Hoogerland as well.

TRENDING THREADS