• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2014 Start List

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Ricco' said:
I know Goss hasn't delivered anything lately, but he seemed to be getting some shape lately with California and Suisse, where he showed that he can put himself on the mix in some sprints and is a more close substitute to Matthews than Meier. Is there something with him or are Orica and Goss just parting ways?

Christian Meier stands by, no Goss

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
ther00kie16 said:
I'd rate Thomas above Lopez as he's been doing monster turns for captains on mountains in stage races.

Shouldn't Intxuasti be ahead of Izaguirre in the climbing department? Also, Gadret and Visconti should be superior climbers than Plaza, possibly even Herrada.

Roche is also superior to Rogers and possibly Majka if he's tired from the Giro. Loss of Kreuziger was huge as he basically towed Contador up multiple mountain stages last year.

Froome and Nibali have equal teams in mountains if Fuglsang is in shape and Scarponi recovered. Will be interesting to see how Valverde uses his deep team that doesn't have a super domestique like the others.
Good post:)
1st(bolded) - I thought about it,yes.I would say it is pretty even,as Thomas will pull more on flat stages and will be probably more tired heading to the mountains
2 - I dont think so,Ion is in a great form,and iirc Intxausti never proved great domestic ability in the mountains
3- With this Im sure that they shouldt.Visconti is more puncheur and Gadret is just Team Gadret:D
4 - hard to say,depends on form,Im judging from previous domestic performances:)

In general I would say that the key is form of Nibali first three men,and then how Valverde will use his team like u said.But Im almost sure that it will be just for get rid of his opponets for podium (Nibali/Contador/Froome depends on form,but mainly Talansky,Vdb2,TJVG,Mollema,Costa)

Ricco' said:
I know Goss hasn't delivered anything lately, but he seemed to be getting some shape lately with California and Suisse, where he showed that he can put himself on the mix in some sprints and is a more close substitute to Matthews than Meier. Is there something with him or are Orica and Goss just parting ways?

Barring some sort of miracle; M.Harley Goss looks to be headed straight out the exit door at season end. Not only that of OGE, but also WT level racing and his 2013-4 seasons would hardly commend him to most Pro Conti squads.

OGE did a fair clean-out at the end of 2013 and on performances whilst at OGE; the utterly insipid Leigh Howard and Sam Bewley (who to be fair has had some injuries) would look good odds to be joining M.Harley out the door.

As for OGE, if Matthews is ruled out then strategy would look to be Gerrans for a couple of selective finishes and otherwise straight out "stage hunting". They may target specific days for the likes of Albasini and/or Clarke but otherwise they'll try and throw someone into each day's breakaway.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
The sprinters for each team

Could anyone help me edit/fill in all the sprinters for each team? Or to say, who might be the participants in the sprints for each team..and feel free to add more in the teams

Ag2r-La Mondiale: Dumoulin
BMC Racing Team: Van Avermaet?
Cofidis: Petit, Simon
Giant-Shimano: Kittel, Degenkolb
Lotto-Belisol: Greipel, Gallopin
Orica-GreenEDGE: Matthews, Gerrans, Albasini
Team NetApp-Endura: Dempster?
Trek Factory Racing: D. Van Poppel
Astana: ?
Bretagne-Séché Environnement: R.Feillu, A.Fonseca
FDJ.fr: Demare
IAM Cycling: Haussler
Movistar Team: Rojas
Team Europcar: Coquard, Gene
Team Sky: Thomas,
Belkin Pro Cycling: Leezer
Cannondale: Sagan, Viviani
Garmin-Sharp: Navardauskas
Lampre-Merida: Modolo, Cimolai
Omega Pharma-Quick Step: Cav, Kwiatkowski
Team Katusha: Kristoff
Team Tinkoff-Saxo: Morkov

Thanks in advance! :)

IMO opinion Tinkoff Saxo have best doms (of GC favourites) for flats stages & cobbles
Bennatti, Tossato & Morkrov are very strong and well able to stay upright, set a good pace, be near the front ,etc ...Roche is also strong if needed here in case any thing happens to one of these 3

The problem with the cobble stage and the first flat stages is there will undoubtedly be crashes (there always is) and the Tour will lose GC riders esp on the cobbles....Its a mater of making sure you are well protected

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
Best cobble man is Geraint 'Crash' Thomas??? Perhaps if it was about the stage win, but as for dom he is hardly great as positioning is job number uno for doms on that stage.

Or course he is the best domestique for the cobbles. It's all a matter of finding which one of Froomes challengers to crash in front of. ;)

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Ricco' said:

He's useless. If it wasn't for that MSR victory he would've been shown the door a long time ago.

orangerider said:
He's useless. If it wasn't for that MSR victory he would've been shown the door a long time ago.

Wouldn't go so far as that. He's always had ability but attitude and physical fitness have always been issues. In his CSC days, he showed "signs" but gained a reputations for being lazy. He started getting his act together at HTC-Columbia/Highroad and his results improved highlighted by MSR .... but he was at best no3 in pecking order behind Cav & Griepel.

Probably some of that hard work still carried over for most of his first season at OGE. Whether he was one (of what were thankfully a minority) who thought I'm now at an Aussie team - I'm now job secure and have favoured treatment we cannot know for certain but certainly he's looked ordinary.

Also have to question his mental toughness. Whilst other riders will pick themselves up and fight on if they've hit the ground or commisaire's calls don't go their way; Goss' reaction has been to mope and completely "drop his bundle" for several days to follow.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Best cobble man is Geraint 'Crash' Thomas??? Perhaps if it was about the stage win, but as for dom he is hardly great as positioning is job number uno for doms on that stage.

Yeah,I meant best cobble rider,not best cobble domestique:D He might be a bit dangerous:p

btw what do you do in portugal?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Steady said:
Could anyone help me edit/fill in all the sprinters for each team? Or to say, who might be the participants in the sprints for each team..and feel free to add more in the teams

Ag2r-La Mondiale: Dumoulin
BMC Racing Team: Van Avermaet,Oss (both hilly)
Cofidis: Petit, Simon
Giant-Shimano: Kittel, Degenkolb (Veelers if others r injured)
Lotto-Belisol: Greipel, Gallopin, Henderson
Orica-GreenEDGE: Matthews, Gerrans, Albasini
Team NetApp-Endura: Dempster
Trek Factory Racing: D. Van Poppel
Astana: /
Bretagne-Séché Environnement: R.Feillu, A.Fonseca
FDJ.fr: Demare, Vichot
IAM Cycling: Haussler
Movistar Team: /
Team Europcar: Coquard
Team Sky: /
Belkin Pro Cycling: Leezer, Boom (st 5)
Cannondale: Sagan, Viviani , Sabatini
Garmin-Sharp: Navardauskas
Lampre-Merida: Modolo, Cimolai, Richeze
Omega Pharma-Quick Step: Cav, Petacchi (if Cav out)
Team Katusha: Kristoff , Porsev
Team Tinkoff-Saxo: /

Thanks in advance! :)
edited:)...

TRENDING THREADS