• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2015 Stage 14: Rodez-Mende 178.5km

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
Sciatic said:
I m finding the comments in this thread about "dishonest"' etc. journalists really weird. Compared to the honesty and transparency we've see from riders, DSs, team owners, and the UCI over the past several decades, you're attacking the media for casting doubts and asking questions? Any journalist who doesn't make comparisons to recent cycling history isn't worth their salt. I am aware that libel laws in Britain and on most of the continent are much stricter than in the U.S., so maybe you're thinking journalists are not to supposed to criticize or make judgments unless they have "proof"?? Journalist should be asking questions--if they had done a better job of that in the 1990s . . .

The point is journalists have no proof of anything untoward yet they speculate, and now, having whipped up a frenzy amongst some sections of so-called "fans", they have a duty to calm things down.

It has been said before: journalists have power without responsibility.

This is exactly my point: journalists do not need what you're thinking of as "proof": they can use historical comparisons and previous precedents to provide commentary that informs. And if you think journalists have gobs of power compared to governments, global organizations (see FIFA), and multinational corporations, well, you may want to take a closer look at the world around you.

As for stirring up wrath, this reporting is like kitten purring compared to say, American talk radio. But in the end individuals still have responsibility for their behavior.
As an aside, I wish everyone would list what country they are from because I think in this discussion what we're familiar with at home shapes how we see this debate. Thanks.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

Arnout said:
Alexandre B. said:
Rolland Pierre
‏@PierroooRolland

défendre des places de 12ème à 10 jours de la fin... Des efforts pour être devant pour rien dernière montée toujours aussi difficile

Rolland criticizes IAM Cycling's tactic.

What's he saying?

That reminds me Rolland needs to do some more crazy attacks. His Giro last year was full of awesomeness, give me more.

He said in his interview after the stage that he'd tried to get away in the initial break but IAM made it clear that they wouldn't let him go, working hard to bring it back. Absolutely ridiculous when they also had someone in the break.

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site

Poursuivant said:
difdauf said:
deValtos said:
Yea the french TV commentators are certainly riling up the public. Considering who they are and their own past it's pretty shitty ....

They just said what they think, why they would not ? During decades, they tried to save the reputation of cycling, hiding what they really think, look at the result. In a really awkward way, they just tried to be honnest about what they saw that day.
But none of them said he was cheating, just that they were really surprised by the performance.

It is ridiculous to think that Froome has a bad reputation in France because jalabert said he was suprised. The really few credit froome still had after Ventoux 2013, disappeared in stage 10. For most of the obs, Froome lost that day more that he won. I personnaly think that sky will pay the second place of Porte for a really really long time, they have been really dumb not stopping him.

Such kind of stupidities will occur more and more as the public will be denied what he really wants : a race that looks like a race not a circus.

Wasn't Froomes W/kg something like 5.9 up Ventoux that day? If that was too much for the French observers, they must also think likes of Bardet, Peraud and Pinot are a part of the same "circus."

Lol

Pierrot le Fou said:
Arnout said:
Alexandre B. said:
Rolland Pierre
‏@PierroooRolland

défendre des places de 12ème à 10 jours de la fin... Des efforts pour être devant pour rien dernière montée toujours aussi difficile

What's he saying?

That reminds me Rolland needs to do some more crazy attacks. His Giro last year was full of awesomeness, give me more.

He said in his interview after the stage that he'd tried to get away in the initial break but IAM made it clear that they wouldn't let him go, working hard to bring it back. Absolutely ridiculous when they also had someone in the break.

Why would they do that?

Pierrot le Fou said:
Arnout said:
Alexandre B. said:
Rolland Pierre
‏@PierroooRolland

What's he saying?

In races, teams have the right to target and also defend exactly what they chose, surely?

If IAM want to defend Frank's GC spot, most likely for the WT points, and not support their breakaway rider then they have every right to do that. Rolland may not like that, and we as fans may not like that as it seems "pathetic", but for a team like IAM you can sort of understand their position.

I'm reluctant to defend Rolland's comments in this, but then again I'm reluctant to criticise him either. I can see both sides of the coin here.

difdauf said:
Poursuivant said:
difdauf said:
deValtos said:
Yea the french TV commentators are certainly riling up the public. Considering who they are and their own past it's pretty shitty ....

They just said what they think, why they would not ? During decades, they tried to save the reputation of cycling, hiding what they really think, look at the result. In a really awkward way, they just tried to be honnest about what they saw that day.
But none of them said he was cheating, just that they were really surprised by the performance.

It is ridiculous to think that Froome has a bad reputation in France because jalabert said he was suprised. The really few credit froome still had after Ventoux 2013, disappeared in stage 10. For most of the obs, Froome lost that day more that he won. I personnaly think that sky will pay the second place of Porte for a really really long time, they have been really dumb not stopping him.

Such kind of stupidities will occur more and more as the public will be denied what he really wants : a race that looks like a race not a circus.

Wasn't Froomes W/kg something like 5.9 up Ventoux that day? If that was too much for the French observers, they must also think likes of Bardet, Peraud and Pinot are a part of the same "circus."

Lol

So you find it as laughable as me? Great.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

Orbit501 said:
In races, teams have the right to target and also defend exactly what they chose, surely?

If IAM want to defend Frank's GC spot, most likely for the WT points, and not support their breakaway rider then they have every right to do that. Rolland may not like that, and we as fans may not like that as it seems "pathetic", but for a team like IAM you can sort of understand their position.

I'm reluctant to defend Rolland's comments in this, but then again I'm reluctant to criticise him either. I can see both sides of the coin here.

Of course they are entitled to do what they like. But he has a point that it makes for some pretty dull racing when you put all your effort into defending what is a really minor place, rather than actually going for a stage win.

Pierrot le Fou said:
Orbit501 said:

Of course they are entitled to do what they like. But he has a point that it makes for some pretty dull racing when you put all your effort into defending what is a really minor place, rather than actually going for a stage win.
And the other important part of his point is that it seems silly to protect a few seconds lead NOW when the Alps lie ahead where minutes or dozens of minutes are still to be gained or lost.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
The final was nice, but the rest of the stage was a glorified coffee ride for the favourites, ffs the region is perfect to create great hilly/medium mountain stages that can create action and chaos. Sky looked vulnerable, if we had a real medium mountains stage it could have been very interesting.

Is there actually anything to corroborate Froome's calm of being doused in urine other than just his say-so. He can say as much as he likes but I haven't heard anybody coming out that they witnessed it. LRP being spat at and Sky being boo'ed that is confirmed by at one or more other sources. Me thinks Froome plays the victim a bit too much.

And as for join's riling up negative sentiments. In the LA-days they all kept their mouths shut tight bar a few. I think journals need to share their doubts even if they don't have proof as such. The same was said of Walsh and Ballestre but a decade on they ware all of a sudden lauded for not paying along. Journo's shouldn't be playing along, they should remain critica and vocal and in no way are they responsible for the acts of some lunatics.

Froome is worried about getting caught in the Alps, clearly. He wasnakt just sprinting away from Quintana, but also from AV and TJ and AC.

It's a bike race. Time for gifts is when GC is secure. Nairo was going too slow. Fair dues, Froome.

Re:

GJB123 said:
Is there actually anything to corroborate Froome's calm of being doused in urine other than just his say-so. He can say as much as he likes but I haven't heard anybody coming out that they witnessed it. LRP being spat at and Sky being boo'ed that is confirmed by at one or more other sources. Me thinks Froome plays the victim a bit too much.

And as for join's riling up negative sentiments. In the LA-days they all kept their mouths shut tight bar a few. I think journals need to share their doubts even if they don't have proof as such. The same was said of Walsh and Ballestre but a decade on they ware all of a sudden lauded for not paying along. Journo's shouldn't be playing along, they should remain critica and vocal and in no way are they responsible for the acts of some lunatics.

The French media started questioning LA's 'form' in 2000.

After the pathetic performance by Contador, Quintana and Nibali today, perhaps ASO should invite this man back in the race:

050-_JKN9991.jpg

jmdirt said:
GJB123 said:

The French media started questioning LA's 'form' in 2000.

Fact is that most journo's shied away from saying what most people knew to be the truth. Journo's that truly spoke out against LA where ostracized. Is that really what we would currently prefer?

Am I the only one who thinks it was a mistake by quintana to set a high pace after the climb? It seems to be a good decision because extra time on tejay, AC and the other contenders is important but I think they wouldn't be a threat for him in the alps anyway. Moreover Nairito will hardly win this tour only with attacks on the last climb so some help from other teams to isolate froome is definitely a good idea. However this help wont be that big if everyone else than him is already that far back.

Orbit501 said:
Pierrot le Fou said:
Arnout said:
Alexandre B. said:
Rolland Pierre
‏@PierroooRolland

What's he saying?

Rolland actually has the right to comment on this since he's been in similar and better positions in GC yet still did batshit crazy attacks left right and center. He's a rider that should be heard on this matter, if we want cycling to continue to be a sport where courage matters. Yes, every team is allowed to ride the way they want, but in the end cycling is entertainment and it's vital for the character of the sport that it's entertainment for more than the last 10 or 15 minutes. Rolland is one of the key figures still defending that kind of racing.

IAM shouldn't even care about WT points anyway since they are ProContinental and Frank will end outside of the top 20.

TRENDING THREADS