• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2015 Stage 16: Bourg-de-Péage-Gap 201km

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Once again this profile. Will it be epic as it was in 2011? Or just eh as in 2013? (wasn't that bad in 2013)

No rain no gain here.

PROFIL.png

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Wow... finally. That was really late.
Is it coz it reminds everybody of Andy-backward-riding-Schleck whining about rain and descents?
Or coz 2/3s of members thought tomorrow is a rest day?
:confused:

Thanks Miburo for for opening the thread. I was going to do it myself but I've never done it before and was terrified of the vitriol I might receive if I got something wrong. :p

Anyway, looks like one for the breakaway to me. The opening hour or two of the stage should be frantic as the break tries to establish itself. So many chances ... I wouldn't be surprised to see Rolland go for this. He would rather get a stage in the Alps but opportunities there will be limited. Talansky, Kangert too.

SuperBesse said:
Nibali and Contador/Valverde to attack on the descent.

Do you think the descent is technical enough?

It's plenty technical alright. Plenty can go wrong, even without rain. They are predicting temperatures in the 30s again which might be enough to get the tar melting ... a la Beloki.

Speaking of which, love this youtube clip from the 2003 Tour. Perfect soundtrack too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP_AOrBglNM

Of demon descenders - I suppose Sammy Sanchez won't be allowed to leave TJVG's side.

That leaves Chava then to take it doesn't it?

I suppose Bardet will have a go here to try to finally get a stage win. Should be a better chance for him than on Wednesday where they repeat the Dauphine stage that he just won.

The Barb said:
SuperBesse said:
Nibali and Contador/Valverde to attack on the descent.

Do you think the descent is technical enough?

It's plenty technical alright. Plenty can go wrong, even without rain. They are predicting temperatures in the 30s again which might be enough to get the tar melting ... a la Beloki.

Speaking of which, love this youtube clip from the 2003 Tour. Perfect soundtrack too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP_AOrBglNM

That clip is awesome!! :) Used to watch is back in the day, and as you say, the soundtrack is spot on!! Almost synchronized with Lance cadence in the beginning.

At 1:07 it looks like Beloki is doing a MotoGP-turn! :D

Hehe, indeed. A great track to listen to while riding (easy to start daydreaming that you're Vino).

Only negative about the clip is that cheating b***tard Armstrong taking a shortcut. :D

Seriously though, for all Armstrong's faults (and I am the furtherest thing from a fan of his) this clip does showcase what a talented rider and great competitor he was.

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Re:

johnymax said:
lol at the odds for this stage. The favourites are Valverde and Nibali with odds of 14/1 at bet365.

And your favourites are?

Ok, I'm little bit surprised Sagan/Matthews/etc are not bigger favourites. This is not so hard stage. Or am I totally wrong?

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Museeuw said:
johnymax said:
lol at the odds for this stage. The favourites are Valverde and Nibali with odds of 14/1 at bet365.

And your favourites are?

Ok, I'm little bit surprised Sagan/Matthews/etc are not bigger favourites. This is not so hard stage. Or am I totally wrong?
Sagan must be really tired and Matthews rides with broken ribs, that´s why.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Barb said:
Thanks Miburo for for opening the thread. I was going to do it myself but I've never done it before and was terrified of the vitriol I might receive if I got something wrong. :p

Smart move, it's an automatic month ban if even a single mistake is made. :cool: :p Nah, copy and past the last stage title and replace info, and put a profile in the op is all thats needed. It's pretty easy.

Hope that Nibali, Contador and others can get a gap leading into the descent or on the descent. Breakaway to take the win.

Re:

The Barb said:
And the Col De Manse is not an easy climb. Someone, or a group of two of three, will get away on the climb and then take big chances on the descent to stay away. So not one for the Sagan/Matthews types in my view.

Yep, needs to be a good climber and fearless descender, which is why I say Bardet.

Barguil fits that bill too and he's gutsy enough to give it a go and really deserves something from this Tour after a lot of bad luck. I'd love it if he could take a stage win here.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Wow... one hour past midnight here... and just yet the thread got made "sticky". Cant remember any GT stage thread being that late... Is this stage that bad? Oh my, even (quote Libertine:) "worthless flat stage(s)" went on air wayy earlier...

My pick:
1 Wellens
2 Chavanel (the Sebastien one)
3 and another random guy, lets say Senechal...

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Z3lvet said:
Museeuw said:
johnymax said:

And your favourites are?

I don't know. Sagan said he had good legs today and he was right there with pure sprinters after being one and half stage on the break. Ok, on stage 14 he didnt work but what about on stage 15. I didn't see it. Maybe he is not as tired as we think.

Manse is just 5,6%. What makes it "not an easy climb"? It has to be raced really hard if they want to drop likes Sagan and Bling ( if on form). That's what I think.

Manse is just 5,6%. What makes it "not an easy climb"? It has to be raced really hard if they want to drop likes Sagan and Bling ( if on form). That's what I think.

That's fair comment. It really depends a lot on the composition of the break. In 2011 when Hushovd (with similar qualities to Sagan) won there were 10 in the break and an unusually low concentration of climbers. Hesjedal got away on the Col De Manse but Thor and EBH got him back on the descent. But in 2013 there were 26 in the break and plenty with climbing prowess, hence it was won by a super strong Rui Costa.

Sagan is not out of the question but I think a 2013 scenario is much more likely.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

Museeuw said:
Z3lvet said:
Museeuw said:
johnymax said:

And your favourites are?

I don't know. Sagan said he had good legs today and he was right there with pure sprinters after being one and half stage on the break. Ok, on stage 14 he didnt work but what about on stage 15. I didn't see it. Maybe he is not as tired as we think.

It really depends on how the GC riders want to race.. If any of them attack, then Sagan will drop for sure. It has to be a total borrefest if Sagan shall have a chance, and there will be attacks 100 %. GC rider or not. Pinot/Bardet could have a go. Bardet is also a great descender.

Re:

Orbit501 said:
Of demon descenders - I suppose Sammy Sanchez won't be allowed to leave TJVG's side.

That leaves Chava then to take it doesn't it?

I suppose Bardet will have a go here to try to finally get a stage win. Should be a better chance for him than on Wednesday where they repeat the Dauphine stage that he just won.

They predict rain on wednesday which is awesome!
No rain today though :/

TRENDING THREADS