• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2015 Stage 16: Bourg-de-Péage-Gap 201km

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

TMP402 said:
I really don't get the animosity towards Gesink. I find it hard to believe Froome was not going to be able to chase down an attack in the final 3km. And with all of Gesink's personal problems and injuries wouldn't you do everything to protect your first chance at a GT top 10 since Vuelta 2012?

While at the same time people complain about Nibali doing a meaningless attack... some are only happy if they find something to hate about.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
The person who should be disqualified is Gesink. Nothing ruins stages more than some bottom rung rider neutralizing stages to protect some meaningless gc place.

Way to overreact. Instead of a kamikaze action of another you attack a racer riding for his GC position, with Thomas at the back and Nibali at the front, a rider who has everything to prove, especially to himself.

I don't encourage this type of racing but it sure is understandable (and expected from his employer).

ps. his pacing at the descent was an attempt to attack. Often times a Gesink accelaration turns out to become pacing the peloton for half a minute. This has happened countless of times.

Re:

TMP402 said:
I really don't get the animosity towards Gesink. I find it hard to believe Froome was not going to be able to chase down an attack in the final 3km. And with all of Gesink's personal problems and injuries wouldn't you do everything to protect your first chance at a GT top 10 since Vuelta 2012?

This isn't stage 21 though. I could understand protecting 8th then. But there are 3 big Alpe stages left where anyone is liable to lose big time and the gc could look very different. He's protecting a prospective 8th place that is very vulnerable to being changed anyway, riding for a handful of seconds when there will be minutes and minutes available.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm shocked thomas didn't hurt anything. Of course for GC it would be extremely exciting if he drops out but you don't want to win that way so it's good he's fine obviously.

So people complaining about Gesink? LOL. So Nibali was setting the race on fire?

Come, you guys are loosing some perspective for the race. It the stage was boring it wasn't because of that.

So Quintana was leading Froome, and Valverde and Gesink too? Sure the definition of leading here has been twisted. LOL.

I don't like Froome that much for other reasons, but the hating for this guy in this Forum is getting very stupid!

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
TMP402 said:

This isn't stage 21 though. I could understand protecting 8th then. But there are 3 big Alpe stages left where anyone is liable to lose big time and the gc could look very different. He's protecting a prospective 8th place that is very vulnerable to being changed anyway, riding for a handful of seconds when there will be minutes and minutes available.

No you're right, why worry about Nibali taking back time on you while that same Nibali is probably going to take more time back in the 3 alpe stages you are referring to. No need to try and make the time difference as big as possible or at least try and consolidate the time difference as much as possible. Because who cares about an 7th, 8th or 9th place in the Tour, it doesn't really mean anything does it? *sarcasme off

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Lance Armstrong said:
Hard to blame Barguil. Plaza and Sagan had the same problem in the same turn. It was just very unfortunate.
Exactly! Plenty of riders have the exact same problem on this descent in the past. Barguil just drew the short straw.

Besides, if we're gonna start kicking out riders for poor descending, Thomas's place in the race isn't very safe either.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Alexandre B. said:
Arredondo said:
LaFlorecita said:
Arredondo said:
Barguil DQ. It has to be. Stupid shitbag
What the hell?????? :eek: :confused:

That was in the heat of the moment. If he was pushed by TvG, then it's another story. But if not, it's really bad what Barguil did.

He lost control. You can blame his bike handling but not his intentions.

He went way too fast and agressive because he wanted to be at the front on a moment where it was not possible (before a corner). So he knows he can create dangerous situations because of that.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Arredondo said:
LaFlorecita said:
Arredondo said:
Barguil DQ. It has to be. Stupid shitbag
What the hell?????? :eek: :confused:

That was in the heat of the moment. If he was pushed by TvG, then it's another story. But if not, it's really bad what Barguil did.
Why? What could he have done differently? Accidents happen. He didn't mean to take down Thomas.

He could just have sat in 6th position, where he was at that moment. But instead, he wanted to overtake some riders on a moment where it was not possible.

The Hitch said:
TMP402 said:

But again, it has to be seen through the prism of years of personal and professional pain. You don't neccessarily think straight when you're on the comeback trail like that.

fungusbear said:
Can't believe Nibali was the only GC guy to try anything today. The rest of the GC guys seem to have already given up on winning and just want to fight for 3rd.

Plenty of time left.

Hayabusa said:
TJVG didn't look like he touched Barguil at all on the replay I've seen..

Maybe he avoided TJVG and it became a blur as to whether he touched him or not.

TRENDING THREADS