• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2017. stage 1: Düsseldorf, 14 km itt

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

perico said:
deValtos said:
perico said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
It wasn't even that Froome was that good. He was on his level, not anything special.

The rest was just really bad.
I mean cmon, Gesink was faster than Porte, Quintana and Contador... they simply did very very poorly
Valverde's crash probably affected Porte's ride considering they had to move him off the course, and probably spooked the others. Froome was confident enough and had obviously done his homework. It wasn't a devastating ride, but solid when compared to the rest.

The thing is though I don't think you tell the riders until after they finished that Valverde crashed no?

Especially for Quintana I reckon it's best you keep him in the dark until after he's completed his run.

Porte would've seen it because it would've affected his line. I'm pretty sure the DS of Aru and Contador (who are prone to taking risks and crashing) would have told them to take it easy on corners.

Porte followed Roche in a car and saw him come down and said it put him on edge a bit, hence he took no risks at all.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
GC guys (those who said so)

Froome
Yates +25"
Porte +35"
Quintana +36"
Majka +37"
Talansky +37"
D. Martin +37"
Bardet +39"
Aru +40"
Contador +42"
Fuglsang +42"
Meintjes +01'00"
Chaves +01'01"

Wow! Does that mean Froome is going to have to attack his teammate on stage 5? Thomas will probably still be in the lead. Some of those other GC contenders you mentioned will be attacking. Such a dilemma.

Zinoviev Letter said:
bigcog said:
Baldinger said:
Worst possible start.

Sky dominating like that is bad for the sport. Cut their budget.

But it's ok for Movistar and Astana to do that in races :rolleyes:

Only crazed fans of particular riders like to see any team strong enough to strangle big races.

So I am crazed fan ? Thanks very much :lol: It's just the first stage lets see what happens before declaring it a bore fest..

Nacho said:
Alexandre B. said:

Froome
Yates +25"
Porte +35"
Quintana +36"
Majka +37"
Talansky +37"
D. Martin +37"
Bardet +39"
Aru +40"
Contador +42"
Fuglsang +42"
Meintjes +01'00"
Chaves +01'01"

Wow! Does that mean Froome is going to have to attack his teammate on stage 5? Thomas will probably still be in the lead. Some of those other GC contenders you mentioned will be attacking. Such a dilemma.
Yes, Froome will have to attack Thomas on Stage 5, but I don't think it is a dilemma at all for him.

I haven't been here for a couple of years. Very good ride by Froome - significant differences between him and other GC contenders on such a short course suggest that Alien's wattage is back to high level. Disappointing performances from Porte and Contador - maybe they didn't risk but still time loss to Froome is large (Richie won TT a few weeks ago after all). Solid ride by Quintana but a bad day for him anyway (for obvious reasons). What's more Froome's teammates were strong as hell. Advantage Froome after the 1st stage. This Tour looked to be wide open but it could be the same as always (hopefully Contador will do some damage though).

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Multiple Skybots in the top 10 of a time trial, Froome already 30 seconds ahead of his rivals. We might be in for an utterly boring control fest.

perico said:
deValtos said:
perico said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
It wasn't even that Froome was that good. He was on his level, not anything special.

The rest was just really bad.
I mean cmon, Gesink was faster than Porte, Quintana and Contador... they simply did very very poorly
Valverde's crash probably affected Porte's ride considering they had to move him off the course, and probably spooked the others. Froome was confident enough and had obviously done his homework. It wasn't a devastating ride, but solid when compared to the rest.

The thing is though I don't think you tell the riders until after they finished that Valverde crashed no?

Especially for Quintana I reckon it's best you keep him in the dark until after he's completed his run.

Porte would've seen it because it would've affected his line. I'm pretty sure the DS of Aru and Contador (who are prone to taking risks and crashing) would have told them to take it easy on corners.

Lovely story my friend but much as I admire your stirring defence of Porte; it all falls apart due to one uncomfortable fact ... their relative start times. I hereby submit the start times as evidence
172 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 18:06:00
173 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 18:07:00
174 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 18:08:00

Porte started 2min ahead of Valverde so unless he managed to doctor the timing system or stop off for a cup of coffee along the way; it is not possible that he would've seen Valverde's accident let alone be held up by it. His DS in the car MAY have chosen to tell him had there been a TV screen in the car but neither can we assume that.

Porte stated that he chose to ride cautiously and he was far from an orphan in that regard. This was however a stage where he was at a relative advantage to the bulk of his GC rivals (other than Froome) due to his (supposed) ITT superiority but instead he finds himself conceding 35sec to Froome and back in the ruck with the others.

Brullnux said:
Nacho said:
Alexandre B. said:

Froome
Yates +25"
Porte +35"
Quintana +36"
Majka +37"
Talansky +37"
D. Martin +37"
Bardet +39"
Aru +40"
Contador +42"
Fuglsang +42"
Meintjes +01'00"
Chaves +01'01"

Yes, Froome will have to attack Thomas on Stage 5, but I don't think it is a dilemma at all for him.
I see. Glad to see it will be OK for them. Thanks.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
Now the GC guys have to get a couple of minutes on Sky before the ITT at then end of the Tour - maybe not LRP but he's still 40 seconds back. It's the Giro all over again!

it'll be a lot more difficult to get time back on Froome with his team than it was with TommyD with his lack of one...

as long as Froome doesn';t need an emergency dump that is...

TRENDING THREADS