• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2017 stage 21: Montgeron > Paris, 103 KM

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ruby United said:
Ikbengodniet said:
Ruby United said:
Of course, it's all subjective, but the list of riders faster than Groenewegen are:
Kittel, Cavendish, Demare, Sagan, Gaviria, Ewan
Viviani is as fast. EBH too - at least in terms of raw power.
This is probably the last year Greipel is on his level.

But the simple fact that nearly nobody considers Dylan a top-tier sprinter yet says a lot.

What's Ewan doing in that list? He will get crushed every time in a TDF sprint. Yeah he is maybe faster in the tour down under but that's it.

He's the worst of the bunch. I also think he is very overrated.
But, at the moment, he is better than Dylan.
Groenewegen has more potential, though, imo.
He's no Cav though. I am yet to see a young sprinter who reminds me of Cav at that age.
I don't know if we ever will.

Groenewegen is no Cav and I dont think he will ever be. I dont expect cav/kittel level from him, but I think he is nearing the point of being a close contender for them.

Lol, this forum still live in the past, Groenewegen has been one of the fastest sprinters since last year already. In this moment only Kittel is much faster than him, normally a healthy Cavs is also faster. Demare or greipel are similar but in my opinion a bit slower in top speed. Ewan (beaten by Groenewegen in a flat sprint twice in Yorkshire last year and this year when Ewan was in better shape preparing for the Giro) and Gaviria (the colombian has probably more acceleration and top speed, but I doubt he can hold a 300 metres sprint without exploding like the dutchman)are more or less in the same league as Dylan but with much more hype, they still have to prove it on the Tour. If Dylan has raced the Giro or the Vuelta in these years, he would also seem the next dominator of the sprints

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

GP Blanco said:
trucido said:
What a joke how De Gendt didn't get the Combativity.

Combativity is in my opinion not about going in useless brake away's on the flat stages. Did De Gendt make a meaningful move this year? No.

If this is the case then just award it to the yellow, green or mountains jersey winner all the time. I mean the yellow jersey has to fight to obtain/keep it for 21 stages and the green for intermediate sprints + stage wins/high placings.

Ikbengodniet said:
Ruby United said:
Of course, it's all subjective, but the list of riders faster than Groenewegen are:
Kittel, Cavendish, Demare, Sagan, Gaviria, Ewan
Viviani is as fast. EBH too - at least in terms of raw power.
This is probably the last year Greipel is on his level.

But the simple fact that nearly nobody considers Dylan a top-tier sprinter yet says a lot.

What's Ewan doing in that list? He will get crushed every time in a TDF sprint. Yeah he is maybe faster in the tour down under but that's it.

Ewan is about at Groenewegen's level - Ewan will be a better sprinter if he learns to ride without a train.

Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
GP Blanco said:
trucido said:
What a joke how De Gendt didn't get the Combativity.

Combativity is in my opinion not about going in useless brake away's on the flat stages. Did De Gendt make a meaningful move this year? No.

De Gendt was in the breaks in the mountains aswell, they didn't stick but they wern't useless either.

And when he wasn't in the breaks he was working at the front of the peleton to bring back the breaks - By far the most combatative rider - And when he was in a break he was riding, not sitting at the back doing no work.