• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2018 stage 5: Lorient > Quimper 204,5 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
jaylew said:
I don't think Gilbert is any faster

I was curious, as I'd have them about equal (10 years ago Valverde by a landslide of course) so I checked their head to head sprinting record.

Not included: steep climbs (2008 Tour stage 1, 2015 Dubai Tour, etc), races where one of them didn't bother sprinting (2009 Worlds) or races where one was in a different group that was caught on the line for same time (2012 Vuelta stage 19, Roma Maxima 2014, etc.)

The record is 9-5 in favor of Valverde including today's stage. Most occasions are recent, they surprisingly almost never went head to head before 2012

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
jaylew said:

I was curious, as I'd have them about equal (10 years ago Valverde by a landslide of course) so I checked their head to head sprinting record.

Not included: steep climbs (2008 Tour stage 1, 2015 Dubai Tour, etc), races where one of them didn't bother sprinting (2009 Worlds) or races where one was in a different group that was caught on the line for same time (2012 Vuelta stage 19, Roma Maxima 2014, etc.)

The record is 9-5 in favor of Valverde including today's stage. Most occasions are recent, they surprisingly almost never went head to head before 2012

Interesting, as I personally think they are about equal. However, Bala believes Gilbert is a faster sprinter and has stated as such on several occasions including today.

Yes, but Eeyore always thinks everyone else is better at everything. He's about the least confident name rider around.

The Plumelec stage in 2008 was one of the most ridiculously dominant sprint wins I've ever seen yet even then he had to be told to shut up and sprint because he didn't think he had a chance.

Re: Re:

JosephK said:
sir fly said:
dgodave said:
trucido said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Sagan is great, but the puncheurs played into his hands. If you let sprinters hang around to contest a finish, of course you won’t win.

Sagan is as much puncheur as sprinter.
Sagan is a sprinteur.
Rouleur.

Spunchouleur?
That's the word.

How's miss Bürstner doing, btw?

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Yes, but Eeyore always thinks everyone else is better at everything. He's about the least confident name rider around.

The Plumelec stage in 2008 was one of the most ridiculously dominant sprint wins I've ever seen yet even then he had to be told to shut up and sprint because he didn't think he had a chance.

Wow, so Unzue had to tell him to sprint in that stage? This guy's capabilities must be even more off-scale than I imagined based on how often wins without having confidence in his abilities

Re: Re:

burning said:
GuyIncognito said:

Wow, so Unzue had to tell him to sprint in that stage? This guy's capabilities must be even more off-scale than I imagined based on how often wins without having confidence in his abilities

I've also heard that about the 2005 stage when he beat Lance. They also told him to shut up and sprint. However, GuyIncognito is correct that Bala has got to be the least confident top rider in the peloton and very possibly the least confident top rider ever in the peloton. His comment after the 2015 Worlds where he finished 5th was that the course totally didn't fit his abilities at all and that he was happy with 5th because everyone else in the top 10 are faster sprinters than he is. Of course this from a guy the peloton actually thought was a sprinter when he first turned pro. How the most versatile rider in the peloton for the past 2 decades has such little confidence in his own abilities and keeps winning so much, who knows, but that's him. To this day he will ALWAYS downplay his changes on winning anything.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
jaylew said:

They did in Plumelec, Gilbert was 2nd there...

Scarponi said:
Today wasn't not even close to being hard enough to drop the points from 50 to 30. To bloody bad if you aren't good enough to handle. A few climbs that are 600m at 6%. Terrible call

Stage 9 has also reduced the points. It's completely ridiculous. It's as if they are specifically looking at each stage, thinking that, "that's a bunch sprint, or, oh, Sagan might win that, so let's call it a medium-mountain stage".

Calmejane complaining about Skujins...he was the stronger rider and deserved the mountain jersey.
Calmejane wheel sucked the entire day and complains about another rider doing the same. Vermote is the one who should complain. Direct-Energy is known for their pathetic effort in breakaways..but with two riders in the group they took it to another level this time. Disgraceful performance and embarassing behaviour after the stage.

TRENDING THREADS