• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019: Second rest day: Who will win le TDF?

Who is going to win the Tour de France?

• Julian Alaphilippe

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Geraint Thomas

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Egan Bernal

Votes: 22 16.3%
  • Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 57 42.2%
  • Emanuel Buchmann

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Steven Kruijswijk

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Mikel Landa

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Rigoberto Uran

• Jakob Fuglsang

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Only 5 racing days left (discounting the parade in Paris) of a close and open Tour, which bodes well, especially for excitement - something not seen since 2011! Now, who is going to take it in the end and why do you think that it will be him in particular? Just in case, I have listed the whole top 10 in the poll.

I wonder whether Alaphilippe might actually attack on the stage to Gap, which seems to suit him. He could possibly pull back 30 seconds with an attack on the final hill and bonus seconds. By rights, he should still lose the jersey on the Galibier, but the stage finishes with a descent and he could pull a Savoldelli. Still, Pinot has to be favourite at this point.

I have no clue. But I hope its either SK or Pinot. But I have a sneaky suspicion the lack of hard racing this season, and him being the one riding into form may suit GT the most.
Bookies can hardly separate GT at 4.5/1, and Bernal and Pinot at 5/1. I'd also say SK should be at similar odds but hes a bit longer.

Re:

Summoned said:
No possibility for Kruijswijk?
There always is, as Pinot has not always been the most consistent and Alaph will probably crack. And the third week features his favorite 2000m+ mountains.

However, its very hard for Steven to win. He lacks the extra kick others have.
Pinot is my most likely candidate together with Thomas (yes) and Bernal. Kruijswijk hopefully podium.. it would be nice for his career. 4th or 5th again would be shitty, but a likely result

Re:

cellardoor said:
I wonder whether Alaphilippe might actually attack on the stage to Gap, which seems to suit him. He could possibly pull back 30 seconds with an attack on the final hill and bonus seconds. By rights, he should still lose the jersey on the Galibier, but the stage finishes with a descent and he could pull a Savoldelli. Still, Pinot has to be favourite at this point.

Sagan/Colbrelli will be eying that one

Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Summoned said:
No possibility for Kruijswijk?
There always is, as Pinot has not always been the most consistent and Alaph will probably crack. And the third week features his favorite 2000m+ mountains.

However, its very hard for Steven to win. He lacks the extra kick others have.
Pinot is my most likely candidate together with Thomas (yes) and Bernal. Kruijswijk hopefully podium.. it would be nice for his career. 4th or 5th again would be ******, but a likely result

I agree on SK. He is hard nut to crack, but I do not see himself dropping all the 3 other favorites. And he will lose any sprints for bonus seconds against those should it come to that.

Re: Tour de France 2019: Second rest day: Who will win le TD

I ain't jinxing him, so I shall not divulge who I voted for (but I think you can guess who that is :) ). My liver will never recover if he-who-I-shall-not-name wins this bike race. What a Tour!

Re:

fantomas said:
Heart says Pinot, brain says Thomas or Bernal. Voted Bernal. I'm afraid the heat could be Pinot's downfall.

Yeah, I'm thinking this.

Anyway, given that all of the contenders have shown weakness at various points I'm thinking it is open.

Post race Thomas implied that he had held himself back so as not to chase down Bernal with opponents on his wheel. Question is, if he had the legs to chase Bernal why did he not get himself up there in the first place?

TRENDING THREADS