• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Tour de France 2019 stage 16: Nîmes > Nîmes

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

RedheadDane said:
So... does that mean Ewan is the sprint-king of this Tour? He's got double as many wins as the other sprinters.
There are still sprints to go and it is very tight between the big guns, but yes, so far he has been the best. I think going in, Groenewegen was most widely expected to be the most successful, but really the last year or show should have demonstrated that there’s no stable pecking order among the big top tier of fast men. It varies race by race and even stage by stage.
 
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
RedheadDane said:
So... does that mean Ewan is the sprint-king of this Tour? He's got double as many wins as the other sprinters.
There are still sprints to go and it is very tight between the big guns, but yes, so far he has been the best. I think going in, Groenewegen was most widely expected to be the most successful, but really the last year or show should have demonstrated that there’s no stable pecking order among the big top tier of fast men. It varies race by race and even stage by stage.
I think Groenewegen usually has been a touch above the rest. I wonder if he is a bit impeded by his crash on the first stage.

By the way, I expect Ewan to not reach Paris, and even if he does, I don't think the cobbles on the Champs-Élysées are for him.
 
Groenewegen still has the old problem of not positioning himself well. Either his team has to do it super perfect and not too early like today or in the last sprint stage, or Groenewegen himself has to do better.

Positoning is a big part of it. But no doubt Groenewegen is, for me, very disappointing this Tour. Jumbo should reconsider taking him next year, because in stead of 1 or 2 wins he takes, they can have maybe more with Van Aert + green jersey chances..
 
Mar 6, 2011
1,414
0
0
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Groenewegen still has the old problem of not positioning himself well. Either his team has to do it super perfect and not too early like today or in the last sprint stage, or Groenewegen himself has to do better.

Positoning is a big part of it. But no doubt Groenewegen is, for me, very disappointing this Tour. Jumbo should reconsider taking him next year, because in stead of 1 or 2 wins he takes, they can have maybe more with Van Aert + green jersey chances..
Very frustrating as I still think he is the quickest guy out there but how many times does he actually get himself in the right position? Compare himself even to how Ewan done it today? I would have no faith in Dylan managing it
 
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
RedheadDane said:
So... does that mean Ewan is the sprint-king of this Tour? He's got double as many wins as the other sprinters.
There are still sprints to go and it is very tight between the big guns, but yes, so far he has been the best. I think going in, Groenewegen was most widely expected to be the most successful, but really the last year or show should have demonstrated that there’s no stable pecking order among the big top tier of fast men. It varies race by race and even stage by stage.
True. No one since Kittel has really earned the title of fastest sprinter in the world. A few guys have flirted with it for a couple races or months but no one has stood out enough to have truly earned it.
 
Re: Re:

Midnightfright said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Groenewegen still has the old problem of not positioning himself well. Either his team has to do it super perfect and not too early like today or in the last sprint stage, or Groenewegen himself has to do better.

Positoning is a big part of it. But no doubt Groenewegen is, for me, very disappointing this Tour. Jumbo should reconsider taking him next year, because in stead of 1 or 2 wins he takes, they can have maybe more with Van Aert + green jersey chances..
Very frustrating as I still think he is the quickest guy out there but how many times does he actually get himself in the right position? Compare himself even to how Ewan done it today? I would have no faith in Dylan managing it
I might have thought there was a chance of that coming in, but I don't believe it now. Ewan could have had even more stages this Tour if he had positioned himself better early on. In any case, he absolutely hasn't looked even 1% slower than Groenewegen this Tour. I think it's like Zinoviev says and we just don't have that one guy that's the fastest right now even if we have a tendency to want to bestow that title.
 
In any case, that extra % might put him equal with Ewan, who I feel has been a bit faster. Ewan does appear to have taken a step up speed-wise I have to say. I wonder if team change has anything to do with it or if it's just his natural progression.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Idk about that. Groenewegen closed in today when he hit top speed. And when he lost to Ewan before Ewan was slipstreaming Groene going into headwind.
Yeah lol obviously when Ewan was already in the wind 150m before that.

I still think a 100% Groenewegen is faster than a 100% Ewan on paper, but let's not use today's last 50m as a reason to think Groenewegen was faster today.
 

Wvv

Jan 3, 2019
154
15
360
Viviani doing all that (impressive) domestique work on stage 15 and participating at the intermediate, might've cost him his final kick for the stage win.
 
Re: Re:

happytramp said:
Hugo Koblet said:
More Strides than Rides said:
Scarponi said:
That was impressive asf
Ewen's sprint was fantastic. DQS's lead out was impressive as well. Great drilling and fitness by those guys. Viviani though...
Yeah, Viviani is disappointing. Bennett will be brutal with this train next year.
.

Brutal good or brutal bad?
Brutal good, obviously. Hard not to take a step up as a sprinter with those guys
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS