• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to the latest Velowire rumors the first Pyrenees stage will be Tulouse-Tourmalet followed by ITT in Pau and Tarbes-Foix/Prat d'Albis (new 1st category MTF). It looks decent if true.
In Alpes they could possibly do Embrun-Valloire (possibly with Izoard and Galibier) followed by yet unknown mountain stage and Albertville-Val Thorens 24 hours before Paris.

Re:

guncha said:
According to the latest Velowire rumors the first Pyrenees stage will be Tulouse-Tourmalet followed by ITT in Pau and Tarbes-Foix/Prat d'Albis (new 1st category MTF). It looks decent if true.
In Alpes they could possibly do Embrun-Valloire (possibly with Izoard and Galibier) followed by yet unknown mountain stage and Albertville-Val Thorens 24 hours before Paris.
131.gif

That's quite long.

Re:

guncha said:

The latter would most proably mean a stage similar to this year's Col de Portet stage. Very short.

Wonder where they would finish at Prat d'Albis? I can't see anything there on satelite images. No parking lot, ski stations, etc.

Re: Re:

OlavEH said:
guncha said:

The latter would most proably mean a stage similar to this year's Col de Portet stage. Very short.

It's apparently a ~ 156 km stage with

Pré & Roselend
Montée des Frasses
Val Thorens

https://legruppetto.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1467331#p1467331

18-Valve. (pithy) said:

Pré & Roselend
Montée des Frasses
Val Thorens

Not very excited about this. 30 km flat after descending Roselend followed by a fairly easy climb to Frasses.

Is a climb via Grand Naves doable? Albertville via Grand Naves and the first part of the climb to Valmorel before the MTF to Val Thorens. Would only be about 105-110 km, but much less flat.

OlavEH said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:

Pré & Roselend
Montée des Frasses
Val Thorens

Not very excited about this. 30 km flat after descending Roselend followed by a fairly easy climb to Frasses.

30 km flat ... that's when you know, that this is a legit rumour. 30 km of Castroland.

Val-Thorens 94 was crazy stuff with Glandon and Madeleine and also part of Ugrumov's comeback from 14 minutes down to 5:40 in three days.

OlavEH said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:

Pré & Roselend
Montée des Frasses
Val Thorens

Is a climb via Grand Naves doable?

I wouldn't know. I suppose it would be. A part of it is missing on Street View, but it should be paved in its entirety. The descent (east side) looks kind of dangerous on Google, though.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2q3vi10.jpg

guncha said:
It is possible to do Madelaine and Val Thorens combo from Albertville. Should be about 140-150km.

yeah, but the info I linked to above is from a newspaper. I'm guessing they want to include the area around the Cormet de Roselend again for tourism purposes...

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
I wouldn't know. I suppose it would be. A part of it is missing on Street View, but it should be paved in its entirety. The descent (east side) looks kind of dangerous on Google, though.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2q3vi10.jpg
Yep, I know. I also checked Street View. The upper part that was missing was photographed in the winter and was snow covered so it's difficult to guess the condition of the road.

If they do Roselend, I hope they use some of the climbs in either side of the valley between Bourg Saint Maurice and Moutiers. Mongiroud seems like a better alternative than Frasses.

OlavEH said:
guncha said:

Wonder where they would finish at Prat d'Albis? I can't see anything there on satelite images. No parking lot, ski stations, etc.
There's a plateau which is pretty open, I presume they will use that area, either paving a parking area or just clearing the space. Plateau de Beille didn't originally have too much there, though has got bigger with the setting up of the Nordic ski station.

BoutDeTouron.gif

I'm presuming probably this means Mur de Peguère. Ideally, Menté - Portet d'Aspet - Agnès - Peguère - Prat d'Albis, but I can't map that at the moment as Google are being precious about their crappy New Maps again and ruining all the software engines of the sites that use them.

No hope for Côte d'Arc 1800 (has been used descending through Plan Peisey in the Tour de l'Avenir before) or the Col du Tra to try to break up that long flat between Roseland and Val Thorens? Really?

Libertine Seguros said:
No hope for Côte d'Arc 1800 (has been used descending through Plan Peisey in the Tour de l'Avenir before) or the Col du Tra to try to break up that long flat between Roseland and Val Thorens? Really?

There is some hope...

J'ai lu l'article intégral du Dauphiné Libéré : il est même indiqué un kilométrage de "156 km" pour cette étape Albertville - Val Thorens. J'ai tracé par col du Pré, Roselend, puis col du Tra (on n'en parle pas dans l'article), montée de Montagny (qui elle est citée dans l'article) et Val Tho par Villarlurin : bim, 156 km. J'ai testé en remplaçant le col du Tha par la montée de Montgirod-Hautecour qui redescend sur Moutiers. Même distance

https://legruppetto.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1467652#p1467652

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
J'ai lu l'article intégral du Dauphiné Libéré : il est même indiqué un kilométrage de "156 km" pour cette étape Albertville - Val Thorens. J'ai tracé par col du Pré, Roselend, puis col du Tra (on n'en parle pas dans l'article), montée de Montagny (qui elle est citée dans l'article) et Val Tho par Villarlurin : bim, 156 km.

https://legruppetto.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1467652#p1467652
Yep...not too bad...

So we have mountain stages on:

Stage 6: Planche des Beilles Filles
Stage 12: Tourmalet
Stage 14: Pratis Albis
Stage 18: Valloire
Stage 19: Tignes
Stage 20: Val Thorens

Stage 9 and 10 could be solid medium mountain stages.

Where are we with ITT's. Only in Pau? Of course aside from the TTT on stage 2.

Honestly for a Tour it looks surprisingly good. I suppose its best to wait for the official route before celebrating.