• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 1 (Nice - Nice, 156 km)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pinot looks pissed off. It shouldn’t be a big deal; no time loss, no major injuries (looks like). Just get to the line and think about tomorrow.

Easy to say unless you've crashed at 30-35 mph. Never that simple.

The lack of humanity of posters at times here is always interesting. We expect these guys to race without any regard for their bodies, especially under difficult circumstances.

I don't know guys

If you don't neutralize everything, you don't get an 80 man crash in a bunch sprint leadout.

Stuff to think about

Maybe.
I had literally said a minute before that, that after everything had been and gone, we were going to have a crash in the sprint. I didn't expect it to be with 2,99km to go, but nevertheless, it was just so inevitable after they'd managed to bring everything together again and it was considered safe enough to go racing again that we'd have a huge crash, just because of the normal risks inherent in bike racing.

The Tour always has crashes early because being up near the front is so important to every team because nobody has had to reappraise their goals yet. Every GC rider still rides for GC, every sprinter still believes in their chances in the sprint, etc.. In fairness to ASO, they have tried to set the GC status quo early this year and minimise this kind of problem on stages 2 and 4, but starting with a road stage that's likely to go to a sprint will always have a nervy péloton, before you put conditions like today into the mix.

TRENDING THREADS