• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 17 (Grenoble - Méribel Col de la Loze, 170 km)

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So, he's great when nobody important cares what he's doing, not so great when the other greats are battling out. He's a very good climber, as a gregario he had a huge influence in Aru's, Froome's and Carapaz's wins and that's about it. Never was, never will be grand tour winner material.
I'm not so sure we can generalize this season that easily, but I guess his consistency in the mountains in GTs (including Giro-Tour doubles) and other stage races probably deceives a perhaps somewhat lacking peak. That said, his level in Astana was undeniable IMO. Then he had 2 Giro's thrown away due to gastro and Kelderman.

I think Landa also performs better in races without dominant trains. Perhaps he actually had much better days than today but they were simply far worse opportunities to do something.

I'm not so sure we can generalize this season that easily, but I guess his consistency in the mountains in GTs (including Giro-Tour doubles) and other stage races probably deceives a perhaps somewhat lacking peak. That said, his level in Astana was undeniable IMO. Then he had 2 Giro's thrown away due to gastro and Kelderman.

I think Landa also performs better in races without dominant trains. Perhaps he actually had much better days than today but they were simply far worse opportunities to do something.
Ya Landa can't cope when his own teams train is dominant

Reactions: Tonton and Carols

This was his second bad day. Not denying his level though most seem to hit a peak at Astana, just that he is not the world beater some people think he is and that different circumstances prevented him to win a Grand Tour. There's a new generation of stratospheric climbers and his window of opportunity closed when he had to wait for Aru.

This was his second bad day. Not denying his level though most seem to hit a peak at Astana, just that he is not the world beater some people think he is and that different circumstances prevented him to win a Grand Tour. There's a new generation of stratospheric climbers and his window of opportunity closed when he had to wait for Aru.
Yeah. I do really appreciate his consistency as a reference for comparing races lol.

And his actual best opportunity he probably literally shat down a toilet in 2016.

Reactions: Sandisfan
We have been on here for years now saying put this here or that there and even when ASO do it we are usually back here listening to how boring it was and how they should put this here and that there
Yea, but the problem is ASO can't influence how the riders behave other than trying to incentivise action through the parcours, and they need to take into account the predilection of the riders looking at other races, and try to design the parcours around those trends to generate the desired effect on racing.

The only other thing they have 100% say in that can help shape the way the riders race is the choice of wildcard teams.

Reactions: Koronin
By the way is there any particular reason the Tour ahs never used Finestre?
I'd guess ASO not wanting to use unpaved roads until a few years ago combined with a lack of stage hosts willing to pay. Sestriere hasn't hosted the Tour in this century. I the way of alternative options, Pinerolo was essentially a one-off and Briançon has somewhat disappeared off the map too.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Managed to watch the final now. So Steep Kuss launched Superman, nice. For me today, at last, MAL confirmed his talent as an extraordinary climber. Rog, very strong, a worthy Tour winner. Not a spectacular rider, but he is a complete package. Best Watts/Kg team in the world obviously helps. Pog continues to confirm, unbreakable. Porte became consistent in a period when the competition is too strong for his level., nevertheless a good performance. Would be nice to see the race turned upside down until the final ITT but I guess today we have the final podium.

Col de la Loze delivered! Cyclists were arriving at the finish one by one. It's a legend in the making, like Finestre at the Giro. Last few kilometers really made differences: cumulative effort of these huge climbs and the whole Tour affected even JV. Congrats to Lopez on a great victory. He was the strongest today and will probably get the race podium. Also congrats to Roglic on a very important day, which got him closer to overall victory. I was disappointed with Poga but when I saw him swinging seemingly too much in the middle of the climb I thought he wasn't feeling great. Still, he limited his losses to minimum. Tomorrow is also a day when a lot can happen, with cyclists feeling a lot of fatigue which will be exposed on super-steep last climb. Even Lopez might have a shot at GC victory, if he feels really well and decides for some crazy attack.

35 Big Photos from Stage 17 (more to come) — corvos/aso/reuters/bettini
http://www.steephill.tv/2020/tour-de-france/photos/stage-17/

225-20200916TDF1053-A.S.O.%20Pauline%20Ballet.jpg

240-CORVOS_00032494-026.jpg

335-RTX7VXT2.jpg

http://www.steephill.tv/2020/tour-de-france/photos/stage-17/

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS