• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 2 (Nice Haut Pays - Nice, 186 km)

I think it is time to discuss the second stage. Tomorrow is not the time to have a bad day for the general classification contenders.
Fortunately the weather forecast looks good.

Stage Profile

abdbd

Col de la Colmiane

9d220

Col de Turini

c6b5d

Col d'èze (second passage goes only up to the bonus sprint)

ab18e

The last km

852f8

Real start ist at 13:20, finish around 17:52 to 18:25

I think many will be licking their wounds and wanna see where they're at with dry weather.

Only see action on the final climb, probably a group of 10-20 guys to finnish together. Quatre Chemins simply isn't that hard.

Agree. But I would love to see carnage on one of the cat 1 climbs. Maybe one or two teams are willing to test the GC guys. Certainly a good opportunity to eliminate some contenders that crashed today or during the Dauphine.

Reactions: Salvarani
I think many will be licking their wounds and wanna see where they're at with dry weather.

Only see action on the final climb, probably a group of 10-20 guys to finnish together. Quatre Chemins simply isn't that hard.
Yeah, probably. It would be nice if UAE would try something so that Pogi could gain some time, Formolo is in great shape atm and could do a ton of damage on a stage like this.

I don't think it will be a particularly exciting stage. That being said, I am excited to see what shape everyone is in. I have no idea at the moment. Dauphine stage 2 and 3 gave us a clear picture of the favourites, but of course since then it's all been flipped over. There could be many surprises yet to come in this unusual edition of the Tour. My hope for tomorrow is that we have no more crashes.

It sort of looks like a stage for Roglic to attack, but I can't imagine Jumbo would want the jersey so soon. It'd be a surprise if one of the GC guys tries anything on Colmiane or Turini. Perhaps it could be a day for the break, but I have a feeling someone like Martinez or Martin will slip away on the final climb and stay clear.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
The Alaphilippe show will commence tomorrow.

Naa... don't think so. But he would deserve it. As a compensation for an armada of people who insist on spelling his name wrong. :p

I don't think it will be a particularly exciting stage. That being said, I am excited to see what shape everyone is in. I have no idea at the moment. Dauphine stage 2 and 3 gave us a clear picture of the favourites, but of course since then it's all been flipped over. There could be many surprises yet to come in this unusual edition of the Tour. My hope for tomorrow is that we have no more crashes.

It sort of looks like a stage for Roglic to attack, but I can't imagine Jumbo would want the jersey so soon. It'd be a surprise if one of the GC guys tries anything on Colmiane or Turini. Perhaps it could be a day for the break, but I have a feeling someone like Martinez or Martin will slip away on the final climb and stay clear.

I think with all the crashes before the race and today tomorrow will already be revealing. Some people will just be in a bad shape and I don't think they will be able to hide it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
UAE looked composed today, riding often at the front. Pogacar was the only GC rider to come home with the front group. Hopefully they'll try something tomorrow.
Roglic also seemed comfortable to me today, personally going to the front on a descent and trying to get the neutralization going.

However I don't see Jumbo going for it on Turini, although they might just do it to get a numerical advantage there or do some absolutely wonky stuff like drill it all day to get Sivakov OOT.

Honestly I think Jumbo will wait to put the hammer down until stage 6, though they may go fro the stage win on stage 4 already.

Really for the last 2 climbs everything depends on the group size, if the group is 20-30 guys it might be a fun two final climbs but if it's bigger it's probably gonna be pretty controlled.

One for the break.

I'm going with Formolo as well. Some of the "classic" breakaway riders will try. Lutensko, De Gendt, De Marchi, Benoot, Herrada, Mohorič, Rojas, De La Cruz, Calmejane.
I don't know why this would go to the break, I reckon a lot of teams would be keen on yellow and only Jumbo and Ineos would not really want it yet. And even if they took it, they can just ship it off later. The need to carry the jersey is a bit overstated IMO.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The profile is in the OP as it's the first part of Col d'Eze. Looks like slightly over 5km at around 6.5%. Nothing crazy hard. Steepest part at the start, so unless someone wants to try relatively it's more like the Poggio but even there the decisive part is steeper and the descend more technical.

It's quite a bit harder than the Poggio. The final climb is a legit climb. Basically, a low elevation version of Pra Loup

TRENDING THREADS