• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 4 (Sisteron – Orcières-Merlette, 160.5 km)

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't really get why people are complaining. This stage was always gonna be like this and I don't even think that's a bad thing. People have to realize that gt routes only have a certain amount of high mountain stages and if they had made this one a proper mountain stage we would probably have fewer in the next two weeks. Meanwhile I prefer a stage like this over a flat out bunch sprint because at least it's something different. At least today we could wonder about whether Roglic or Alaphilippe are gonna win and not Ewan or Bennett.

It's quite a classic stage 4-6 uphill finish. We've seen it in the Giro countless times (Montevergine, monte cassino, abetone, roccaraso, lago laceno, sestola), and while the Tour has had it less (le lioran), that's because it normally has no gc stages in the first five days, outside of the seemingly biennal la planche des billes filles.

Danish commentator Rolf Sørensen was speechless on stage 2 and stage 4 and thought the peloton would explode by the mere sight of any climbs. Seems he was mistaken and isnt quite the expert on cycling lol

Very predictable finish, I really hope the Pyrenees will be good, otherwise this Tour will be as a I feared

I don't really get why people are complaining. This stage was always gonna be like this and I don't even think that's a bad thing. People have to realize that gt routes only have a certain amount of high mountain stages and if they had made this one a proper mountain stage we would probably have fewer in the next two weeks. Meanwhile I prefer a stage like this over a flat out bunch sprint because at least it's something different. At least today we could wonder about whether Roglic or Alaphilippe are gonna win and not Ewan or Bennett.
Literally the only thing you can really complain about is that it's a climb that's flat in the last 500m.

Alternatively, you could have a different sort of stage 4 mountain stage, but it's not gonna be anything crazy. Unless you want Etna stage 4 and we've seen what happens on stage 4 Etna.

That said, La Vuelta having the hardest stages so early last year was actually really refreshing with the final easier mountain stages being ridden really aggressively.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

Yes it was a terrible stage and everybody knew it would be. The stage finish yesterday was more interesting. The hours before the finish were as boring as cycling can be really.

I would wonder what Roglic would have been like on a proper climb. He didn't look too dominant there, his team did a good job but i would have thought he would have won more convincingly. Still recovering from his injuries. Not an out and out favourite for me, yet.
Two things:
Local media already said a few days after the Dauphine that he is able to train totally normal (https://www.rtvslo.si/sport/kolesar...roglic-je-zadnje-dni-normalno-treniral/534236).
And he won easily today.
So, at least for me, there is no reason to believe that he is not on his absolute top level. All this talking down is usual for favourites or their teams.

Danish commentator Rolf Sørensen was speechless on stage 2 and stage 4 and thought the peloton would explode by the mere sight of any climbs. Seems he was mistaken and isnt quite the expert on cycling lol

Very predictable finish, I really hope the Pyrenees will be good, otherwise this Tour will be as a I feared
I suspect the Pyrenees will be a snoozefest and the Alps will be anyone but Jumbo doing a few hail mary's and praying for a miracle.

Sadly I think the 2 hardest stages are still only about the MTF.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
It looks like only Buchmann ( :() is the one of the favourites who has really been affected by their crash, all the rest look right where they should be. Pogacar looks like he'll be a force to be reckoned with in this race. Good ride from Quintana, he could be flying in the third week.

Stage 6 is the next test in the battle for yellow.

As they've frequently pointed out; good thing he's not a DS! His plan every day would just be "ATTAAAAAAAAAAAACK!" "But, Rolf... it's a TT..."

I would wonder what Roglic would have been like on a proper climb. He didn't look too dominant there, his team did a good job but i would have thought he would have won more convincingly. Still recovering from his injuries. Not an out and out favourite for me, yet.
Nah, don't think the injuries affect him at all. He looked really strong today. His final kilometre push was as amazing as it has ever been though that of course still doesn't answer the question of how strong he'll be in the high mountain stages. I've been a Roglic critic myself a few times but looking at Bernal and Dumoulin who seemed to suffer more than they probably should he doesn't look bad for the gc right now.

Well said. In previous years, a stage four could likely be a flat sprint. And even it is a higher MTF, it is not likely any favourites will try to race as hard as Week 3.

Most importantly, it is designed for Alaphilippe to keep his yellow jersey a little longer for French pride.