• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 9 (Pau - Laruns, 153 km)

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
tell me please what has he improved since Ain, cause I am sure not seeing it; he could stay with roglic always and get blown away in the end. Exactly the same as right now. Just look at the sprint for bonus secs on last climb yesterday, what was different than in Ain; I belive Pogacar is stronger than Bernal, overall a better rider and biggest threat to roglic
I think Bernal could have just followed wheels and crested the climb with Roglic if he hadn't have tried to attack whereas on the Peyresourde and in the Dauphine (I didn't watch Ain) he was completely on the defensive and was being gapped by further than yesterday. I agree Pogacar looks stronger at the moment than both Bernal and Roglic but I trust Bernal more in the third week.

How much did Bernal improve last year though. He was among the 3 best climbers on the 2nd Pyrenees stage, then Pinot dropped out injured.

For me the question becomes if Roglic is gonna be particularly vulnerable on the 40 minute+ climbs, and going by the 2018 Pyrenees I don't think he is.

How much did Bernal improve last year though. He was among the 3 best climbers on the 2nd Pyrenees stage, then Pinot dropped out injured.

For me the question becomes if Roglic is gonna be particularly vulnerable on the 40 minute+ climbs, and going by the 2018 Pyrenees I don't think he is.
Is an interesting question to be fair I remember being sceptical at the time as to how much effect Thomas being in the peloton was having on the chase as well but he still did put time into the other favourites on 2/3 high mountain stages in the Alps in week 3. And Roglicwise he was strong in the Pyrenees but weaker earlier in the race and then couldn't follow in the giro although maybe he learnt to manage his form over 3 weeks better in the Vuelta.

Is an interesting question to be fair I remember being sceptical at the time as to how much effect Thomas being in the peloton was having on the chase as well but he still did put time into the other favourites on 2/3 high mountain stages in the Alps in week 3. And Roglicwise he was strong in the Pyrenees but weaker earlier in the race and then couldn't follow in the giro although maybe he learnt to manage his form over 3 weeks better in the Vuelta.
I think Roglic crashed on the cobbled stage? Alps could've been affected by that.

posted 6th of September:

And that's exactly what Roglic failed to do in the first week: crush his opponents while they were weak. If Roglic now has any bad luck (puncture, crash, off-day), he will regret not having tried a bit harder to drop Bernal or to follow Pogacar on the Peyresourde.

ps: I am not a Roglic hater. I just feel he could ride a bit better, tactically. He is doing OK but OK could translate in "not enough" when evaluating the race in Paris.

Posted 11th of September:

It will all come down the the ITT if Pogacar keeps his act together.

Posted 13th of September:

If Pogacar gets as close as within 20 seconds, he needs to get that time back in the TT and doesn't need a team to ride into Paris :)

Reactions: gregrowlerson

TRENDING THREADS