• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2020

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What about Alaphilippe? There are several mountain stages with with short climbs... the bonus seconds... a timetrial.
If ineos and/or jumbo-vismo drill the peloton really hard in a proper mountain stage, he doesn't have a chance.
Alaphilippe is a fantastic rider, I like him a lot, but he is not a good enough climber to contend for a gt podium.

If ineos and/or jumbo-vismo drill the peloton really hard in a proper mountain stage, he doesn't have a chance.
Alaphilippe is a fantastic rider, I like him a lot, but he is not a good enough climber to contend for a gt podium.
I think climbs like Orcières-Merlette, Marie-Blanque, Puy Mary, and even the Peyresourde favor him and he can collects some bonus seconds. His greatest challenge will be that stage with Col de la Madeleine and Méribel. Needs to be at least as good as Thomas and Dumoulin/Kruijswijk. I don't think he will win but migth get in the podium. Was already 5th last year.

One week ago this was my top 10 for the Tour:

1. Bernal
  2. Roglic
  3. Pinot
  4. Quintana
  5. Buchmann
  6. Porte
  7. Lopez
  8. Landa
  9. Kruijswijk
  10. Thomas
Now I just don't know anymore...

Sounds about right.

What the hell has happened in the last week in cycling. Any lads from the giro must be having second thoughts, I wonder what kind of form simon yates and carapaz are in at the moment, they must fancy it.

Right now Tom and Pinot look like favorites with Bernal and Roglic depending on their health now.

The rest is up in the air at this point. Pogacar and Superman looked good enough, but neither looked like they were going to win the Tour. Martin has never shown podium ability before, so I’d be hesitant to name him as a contender. Buchmann looked good before he crashed out. If Porte stays upright for 3 weeks either he or Bauke will finish around the Top 10. Landa, Mas, Valverde look awful, though Landa less awful, while the Movistar duo seemed to be improving somewhat in the last stage. Sivakov looks strong.

And Thomas and Froome look worse than all the others.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I made a post with some, let's say, slightly risky predictions in the Dauphine thread a few days ago where I basically wrote about Bernal, Pinot and Dumoulin as the favorites, excluding Roglic from that list. While that seems a lot more reasonable now I still really hope Roglic will recover so my original point gets proven anyway (or the whole forum can make fun of my post, but hey, if that's what it takes to make people happy in 2020...)

But yeah, while these three are really looking good to me, if you want a year for surprises at the tour this might be it. There are questionmarks for everyone and I could totally see someone coming out of leftfield to win it. Like, I really don't think Mikel Landa will win the tour, but would I completely rule it out? Don't think so.
If I had to bet though, I'd go for Dumoulin. Still think people are sleeping on him big time.

I made a post with some, let's say, slightly risky predictions in the Dauphine thread a few days ago where I basically wrote about Bernal, Pinot and Dumoulin as the favorites, excluding Roglic from that list. While that seems a lot more reasonable now I still really hope Roglic will recover so my original point gets proven anyway (or the whole forum can make fun of my post, but hey, if that's what it takes to make people happy in 2020...)

But yeah, while these three are really looking good to me, if you want a year for surprises at the tour this might be it. There are questionmarks for everyone and I could totally see someone coming out of leftfield to win it. Like, I really don't think Mikel Landa will win the tour, but would I completely rule it out? Don't think so.
If I had to bet though, I'd go for Dumoulin. Still think people are sleeping on him big time.
I still kind of disagree with you but I agree as well. Roglic is still the absolute leader. However, you're right about Dumoulin. He's really working himself into form and he's looked one of the strongest riders this week, despite working for a teammate every single day since the restart. I have a feeling they want him working as a domestique so when the Tour roles around they'll push him up to co-leader, but without any pressure and without anyone knowing his form. He won't exactly be unmarked by other teams but so long as Roglic is the leader Tom will have room to manoeuvre. Have to say I'm getting giddy.

A certain miss Dumoulin would like to know who the others are

I honestly don't know what to think

Roglic crashed and will probably be fine but you never know
Bernal has some minor back issue and never looked great even before the DNS
Kruijswijk and Buchmann crashed and may be injured
Nairo, Porte, Landa, and Lopez are all over the place
Dumoulin is improving
Same for Bardet
Sivakov and Pogacar each had bad days but looked good by the end of CdD
Pinot is the usual Pinot
Dani M, G Martin and even Kämna? as wildcards
Froome and Thomas have been awful
Uran, Aru, and Mas don't look very good
Yates has been sick
Alaphilippe is riding for stages
Valverde is 40

I guess Roglic and Bernal are still the favorites with Dumo next in line?

TRENDING THREADS