• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2020

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So you're saying there's a lot of risk?
You got me there. So you could be right about that. Very hard to prevent idiots behaving bad on the side of the roads.

Having said that, I read in the article what the Education Minister was saying that the attitude of governments now is hardly of going back to drastic measures. And one of those is cancelling these events. Governments are willing to face the consequences now. Might take some strong measures but not going back to what happened in April or May.

Even if there was some "only use every 2nd seat rule" which it didn't look like, putting seats there at all is stupid enough. We get it, the Tour goes over up to 200 kilometers of road per day which makes keeping fans away from the race practically impossible. But it seems like the organizers said "well we can't make the tour without fans, it wouldn't work" and then forgot the argument of why it wouldn't work doesn't apply to the team presentation.

That nonsense today in a country where numbers are currently going up fast was completely irresponsible and simply stupid as future cases might very well be traced back to this event. They just risked the whole tour for some show nobody even really cares about.

You got me there. So you could be right about that. Very hard to prevent idiots behaving bad on the side of the roads.

Having said that, I read in the article what the Education Minister was saying that the attitude of governments now is hardly of going back to drastic measures. And one of those is cancelling these events. Governments are willing to face the consequences now. Might take some strong measures but not going back to what happened in April or May.

What are the consequences?

Could they just skip stages 1-3 to get out of the red alert zone? "Everyone stay in the hotels until Monday, then team buses to Grasse on Monday morning, and we will ride out the last 150km of the same scheduled route to Sisteron."

Disclaimer; I don't know if the alert extends as far as Sisteron or not.

Who do you want to win?
I've ranked the top possible GC riders based on how much I want them to win:
(++)Pinot, Carapaz, Bardet, Urán
(+) Bernal, Buchmann, Martínez, Lopez
(+ -) G Martin, Mas, Valverde, Quintana, Landa
(-)Roglic, Sivakov
(- -) Dumoulin, Pogacar, Mollema, D Martin, Porte
** through **** are guys I would actively cheer on if leading
Indifferent through * I could care less, but wouldn’t root against them. With the Sky train glory days effectively over and a new generation coming through, I’m not going to root against them

****Enric Mas will win this bike race (probably not- judging by his lack of form but a guy can dream)
***Valverde (definitely not gonna happen either)
***Thomas de Gendt- If the race was stopped and De Gendt had taken the jersey on a breakaway the day before I wouldn’t complain.

**Dumoulin- I like Tom
**Pinot (good chance he could)
**Landa (better chance than the other two Spaniards, but hasn’t looked explosive post lockdown)
**Aru- no chance, but it would be cool since everyone wrote him off

*Quintana- I wouldn’t complain since it would be a nice comeback story
*Roglic- Wouldn’t root for him but if anyone has to win, why not?
*Lopez- he’s fun enough to watch

Indifferent:
Bernal- I wouldn’t boo him
Carapaz- I liked him before Aquadro, but don’t dislike him
Pogacar- Just don’t care enough

I don’t think there’s anyone I’d actively root against this year. I miss Froome already.

Could they just skip stages 1-3 to get out of the red alert zone? "Everyone stay in the hotels until Monday, then team buses to Grasse on Monday morning, and we will ride out the last 150km of the same scheduled route to Sisteron."

Disclaimer; I don't know if the alert extends as far as Sisteron or not.

It's a map by departments and I could not find a more detailed breakdown, but last 100k of stage 3 are in a department with 1/3 of the cases of Alpes-Maritimes

Edited to say that this is a weekly number of infections per 100 000 people

Last edited:
** through **** are guys I would actively cheer on if leading
Indifferent through * I could care less, but wouldn’t root against them. With the Sky train glory days effectively over and a new generation coming through, I’m not going to root against them

****Enric Mas will win this bike race (probably not- judging by his lack of form but a guy can dream)
***Valverde (definitely not gonna happen either)
***Thomas de Gendt- If the race was stopped and De Gendt had taken the jersey on a breakaway the day before I wouldn’t complain.

**Dumoulin- I like Tom
**Pinot (good chance he could)
**Landa (better chance than the other two Spaniards, but hasn’t looked explosive post lockdown)
**Aru- no chance, but it would be cool since everyone wrote him off

*Quintana- I wouldn’t complain since it would be a nice comeback story
*Roglic- Wouldn’t root for him but if anyone has to win, why not?
*Lopez- he’s fun enough to watch

Indifferent:
Bernal- I wouldn’t boo him
Carapaz- I liked him before Aquadro, but don’t dislike him
Pogacar- Just don’t care enough

I don’t think there’s anyone I’d actively root against this year. I miss Froome already.

Well, there's nobody I would really root against. There are just some guys I would rather not see winning, like for instance Pogacar, because it would be too early in my eyes, or Mollema, because I am not fond of his style.

Reactions: perico

Andy+Schleck+naked.jpg

Hey Fränk, I just had that dream where I won the Tour again.

If they are doing tests and the riders are healthy, i don't see on why the race would be under cancellation threat. As what exactly is the problem if healthy riders compete?

P.S. Organizer should do whatever it takes to prevent other people, like media and fans, from infecting the riders.

Reactions: Koronin
Interesting. The teams with most stage winners have 4 and are Jumbo, Lotto and freaking CCC.
Jumbo makes sense; they have a very strong team.
Lotto and CCC have experienced teams that are build for the classics, so it really shouldn't be a surprise that they each have a lot of guys who have gone to multiple Tours hunting stages. The more surprising things should be that De Marchi ISN'T one of CCC's 4, while Geschke is, and that Geschke has the same number of stage wins (1) as Gilbert and Degenkolb.

• Wow
Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS