• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2021 route rumors

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I pointed at La Rabassa because it's the only one other than Coll d'Ordino that's usable as a pass that isn't mentioned in ice&fire's post, and if you're climbing to Arcalis after the tough side of Beixalis you couldn't climb Ordino. Arinsal would be like Els Cortals d'Encamp, have to be an MTF but would be a reasonable option.

Both would be better than Arcalis, mind. Els Cortals is the steepest of the main MTFs in Andorra, while Arinsal has been unused for many years so would have an element of unfamiliarity that Arcalis and Pal wouldn't, so riders wouldn't be able to draw on racing experience as to where the key places to make moves are. Also Arinsal is part of the Vallnord station so the same people would be paying whether they finish at Pal, Arcalis or Arinsal, in which case I'd think Arinsal would be a win-win, get the name of that station out there for publicity and provide a less well-trodden climb for the race.
Ah, I thought you were mentioning Rabassa as a MTF, did not realize that it is a reponse to ice&fire's post. I thought you were talking about MTFs in Andorra better than Arcalis.

I like the idea of a throwback Tour, with lots of ITT kilometers. We might see riders like Dennis gain serious time on the climbers, who'd have to really attack in the mountains. Or, we might just see Roglic/Pogacar/Remco motor away from everybody...and I really think Remco should ride the Tour next year, if his injuries are healed; forget going to Olympics, Giro or Vuelta first. He's old enough to win it now and we've seen that the world is a very uncertain place. If we've learned anything from Bernal and Pogacar's victories, it's seize the moment when you can.

Tignes was rumoured as a possible stay for the rest day so I'm not sure about LFR's prediction, especially considering I'm pretty sure they were kind of advertising the possibility already on their site (I was probably on some travel agency page though not gonna lie). I would assume they have like 3 transitions after Brittany, maybe mix in some hilly stage and then if they can have Alpe d'Huez early on. My biggest hope for 2021 is we get Granon and then a big stage in the Alps near to Barcelonette and Gap, but not just a typical finish at Pra Loup. Mix it up, have like Col de Champs, Col d'Allos and then the big boy Col de la Bonette before a finish in Isola or something.

isola-barcelonette.jpg

This for example as a queen stage in that area.

Tignes was rumoured as a possible stay for the rest day so I'm not sure about LFR's prediction, especially considering I'm pretty sure they were kind of advertising the possibility already on their site (I was probably on some travel agency page though not gonna lie). I would assume they have like 3 transitions after Brittany, maybe mix in some hilly stage and then if they can have Alpe d'Huez early on. My biggest hope for 2021 is we get Granon and then a big stage in the Alps near to Barcelonette and Gap, but not just a typical finish at Pra Loup. Mix it up, have like Col de Champs, Col d'Allos and then the big boy Col de la Bonette before a finish in Isola or something.

isola-barcelonette.jpg

Is Col de La Moutiere leading into Bonette viable?

I don't think Moutiere is viable. It's unpaved from the summit to join the Bonette and I believe it's quite a narrow dangerous road. I mentioned it in a forum for forgotten cycling cols so all this is coming from someone who had personally been up there. Mind you who knows what Prudhomme would do these days? There is no doubt some gravel climb up Puy de Dome he'll find...

Reactions: Sandisfan

isola-barcelonette.jpg

Bernal sends his thanks for that stage

I want to see some cobblestone sections in week 3. They tend to toss a wrench into the plan for most teams. Plus, in week 3 the race is not as nervous. Along with some true climbs that actually work in separating the true contenders. And a few ITT stages, say 2 one flat and one climb...but not in week 3. Week 3 should be the stages that really means you earned the win. Cobblestone sections and a couple of really good climbs would do that

isola-barcelonette.jpg

I love that stage, did the lap of Champs, Allos and Cayolle last year. Its beautiful but very hard, the addition of bonette would probably have killed me :'D
Problem are likely the descents. You probably remember Allos North from 2015, which is already pretty sketchy. But Cayolle North is probably even worse, very narrow, poor road quality, quite exposed, parts with very bad visibility.. Don't know if they'd want to risk it. Champs West would be fine I think, but champs east, the side I descended, is the most dangerous I think, at least when the road is open to traffic. There are drainage gutter running across the road, super narrow, bad road quality and lots of gravel in some corners.
Of you wanted to avoid Champs you could also add Couillole and make a lap around Barcelonette.

"Andorra" gives me chills, and not in a good way. Arcalis is probably my least favorite HC MTF.

Ganna to pull a Jan with 500 Watts to Arcalis. ;)

The first four stages have been confirmed more or less yesterday:

1 Brest › Landerneau
2 Perros-Guirec › Mûr-de-Bretagne
3 Lorient › Pontivy
4 Redon › Fougeres

Also the ITT Changé › Laval is confirmed now, but without any info about length.

1 Brest › Landerneau
3 Lorient › Pontivy
4 Redon › Fougeres

Also the ITT Changé › Laval is confirmed now, but without any info about length.
When is the route presentation anyway? Normally it would be around now wouldn't it?

1 Brest › Landerneau
3 Lorient › Pontivy
4 Redon › Fougeres

1. sprint finish with last km 5%?
  2. puncheur finish on mur-de-bretagne
  3. sprint
  4. sprint

not the most exciting start you can think of

TRENDING THREADS